Sponsored by:

Electronic Oil Measurement..

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 07:51 PM
HotLap
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Electronic Oil Measurement..

All, I've noticed that I can check the oil level while driving. This is contrary to the OM that states you must shut off the engine, wait at least one minute before measuring. Are in "in transit" measurements accurate?

On a side note, I went and tried the Sport Plus mode today on a particularly long and smooth freeway on-ramp with no other cars around...that thing hauls **** and the PDK shifts were simply vicious
Old 07-12-2012, 09:25 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by HotLap
All, I've noticed that I can check the oil level while driving. This is contrary to the OM that states you must shut off the engine, wait at least one minute before measuring. Are in "in transit" measurements accurate?

On a side note, I went and tried the Sport Plus mode today on a particularly long and smooth freeway on-ramp with no other cars around...that thing hauls **** and the PDK shifts were simply vicious
I would guess that it is not accurate as lots of oil would be somewhere other that where the sensor sits. On your side note, I'd bet the manual instructions were to deter you from checking the oil on on-ramps in Sport Plus at speed...
Old 07-12-2012, 11:21 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My guess is it's a glitch. On my 996 you get a message if the car is moving, not level, or not up to temp.

It's probably not a big deal unless you aren't getting accurate readings when measuring using the proper procedure.

I think I'd want to be sure since the electronics are the only way to measure the oil.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:41 PM
John's 991
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I noticed the same thing. When I check the oil measurement on the freeway it measured the same as stationary.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:18 AM
TSpyder
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

Noticed this as well while driving through Europe. My Touareg requires a two min interval after shutdown before oil level check will work. OTOH, my 650 gives the level check while driving after the engine is warm. Interesting.

Spyder

Quick Reply: Electronic Oil Measurement..