Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 09:08 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

I stuck with MT for my fourth 911 (a 991) after test-driving several PDKs. I see the attraction of PDK and am impressed by how improved it is in the 991, but it just isn't the engaging/fun 911 I have always loved, so I passed on it (and definitely didn't want to pay more to get it).
Old 07-11-2012, 11:10 AM
HotLap
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mojo, coming from a 997.2 MT to the 991 PDK, while the PDK is technologically awesome, I'd rather have the MT. Simply put I miss the increased driver involvement of the MT and even using the paddles in sport mode does not approximate the feeling of "snicking" through the gearbox in a MT. JMO of course, but there it is
Old 07-11-2012, 11:29 AM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Race cars have clutchless manuals, most if not all the world's uber-expensive super-performance cars have flappy paddle gearboxes, and according to the statistics, so do the vast majority of Porsches since the advent of PDK. Undoubtedly they can be shifted faster than anyone can do with a clutch and gear lever.

If I drove competitively (track) in this age, I would surely opt for PDK. If I drove in heavy urban traffic or rush-hour motorway bogs, I would surely opt for PDK. But none of those describes my situation. I specifically bought a Porsche for its retro-sports-car appeal, and a proper manual gearbox is an inexorable part of that appeal.

Some people buy a manual for the "fun factor" only to find it wearing thin after a short while, until shifting becomes a chore and they quite dread getting into their car. I happen not to have ever had that experience, and moreover, it was the occasions when I owned an automatic car that I found myself bored with it quickly.

Looking at it dispassionately, manual gearboxes with clutch pedals were invented because that's what technology could do at the time to connect the engine with the wheels, not because the inventors were looking for something to connect the driver with the act of driving. Most cars in the USA were bought with automatics since the 1950s. But because the manual gearbox prevails in Europe, and most coveted sports cars are European, the two became equated. I fully expect that in the not-distant future, Porsche will discontinue offering a proper manual. But as long as they still offer it, I will be one of the luddite contrarians who buys it.

In fact, I would not even consider a 991 with PDK. Given its other nods toward the luxury-GT segment, if not for the allure of a manual gearbox I would buy an Aston or a Jag or even a Mercedes coupe. But hopefully that won't need to happen, as I expect manual Porsches to be available on the second-hand market throughout my practical lifetime.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:39 AM
peterm
Racer

ok Im 2500 miles into this new pdk had an 09 with over 20k miles on a Pdk. just prior. I drive pretty aggressively and the smell of burning clutch seems more intense on his new transmission than it ever did on the last PDK I suspect I should be glad for the warranty!
Old 07-11-2012, 11:50 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

I have shifted happily through 40 years of ever better manuals in Porsches I have owned, from push and hope spindly 4 speeds of 70s of 911s that truely involved skill, to the never miss snick snik 6 speeds of recent Boxters.

Now, I find that popping instant shifts via PDK in my 991CS is not just more effecient, but every bit as involving and fun as any shifting I have ever done. I would consider manual transmissions in the future as a essential part of the vintage car experience, if I had one.

Only if Aston, Jag or Mercades ever returned to building sports cars would i consider them over a Porsche. Ferrari has ditched manual transmissions, but I still can't reach that far (into my pocket).
Old 07-11-2012, 12:54 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
I find that popping instant shifts via PDK in my 991CS is not just more effecient, but every bit as involving and fun as any shifting I have ever done.
Just to be on the safe side, I'd see your doctor and ask him to check for signs of peripheral neuropathy in your left leg.

Only if Aston, Jag or Mercades ever returned to building sports cars would i consider them over a Porsche.
I said the same thing until I saw, sat in, and drove a 991 PDK (the only one they had available for testing, and clearly the one they hoped to sell more of...more profit for Porsche and the dealer). I'm still not certain I would actually buy an Aston or a Jag or a Mercedes, but I am quite certain I would not buy a 991 PDK.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:14 PM
wanderingwheelz
Instructor

Manuals are the most fun. So if it's fun you're after, go that route. I've had a PDK and I found lots more miles get put on it- especially because my wife drove it more often. She said she didn't care which transmission the new car had, so at roughly $1.00 a mile (the standard 911 rule of thumb) I figure I save many thousands of dollars over the 4 years I'll own the car by foregoing the PDK. So for me, the money saved after the purchase was just as contributory to my decision as the cost of the PDK option.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:26 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 844 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by peterm
ok Im 2500 miles into this new pdk had an 09 with over 20k miles on a Pdk. just prior. I drive pretty aggressively and the smell of burning clutch seems more intense on his new transmission than it ever did on the last PDK I suspect I should be glad for the warranty!
You should get it checked out - that sounds faulty. I never ever experience the smell of a burning clutch.

As to the OP, had manuals all my life - till this car. Had 3 911's (6MT) and a M3 (6MT). I really like the PDK. But its good to have a choice. I'd get it again. I have 17,000 miles with mine.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:25 PM
MojoCowboy
Intermediate

Love this spirited conversation and am glad to soon become part of the fraternity.

I can see both sides of this argument. I personally havnt had an mt since my old eclipse back in the mid- nineties. Since I've had cars with auto shifters but none anywhere near the calibre of a 911.

To me, I think i will enjoy having a choice of sorts to go full auto, 'manual' and maybe somewhere in between. That said, I can see the merits of full MT.

All said, I have a chance to buy a c2s pdk cab from a nearby dealer with the color/options I want at the right price. Given my car history and valuable input from you all - I'm going to grab it!

I'll report back once I've had a chance to drive it a bit.

-mojo
Old 07-11-2012, 03:19 PM
Scott997
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have MT in my GT3 I don't want it in my daily driver. Plus the PDK paired with the PSE is a ton of fun!
Old 07-11-2012, 05:29 PM
caveatesq1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MojoCowboy
Love this spirited conversation and am glad to soon become part of the fraternity.

I can see both sides of this argument. I personally havnt had an mt since my old eclipse back in the mid- nineties. Since I've had cars with auto shifters but none anywhere near the calibre of a 911.

To me, I think i will enjoy having a choice of sorts to go full auto, 'manual' and maybe somewhere in between. That said, I can see the merits of full MT.

All said, I have a chance to buy a c2s pdk cab from a nearby dealer with the color/options I want at the right price. Given my car history and valuable input from you all - I'm going to grab it!

I'll report back once I've had a chance to drive it a bit.

-mojo
Congrats on the purchase. What are the full specs on your new ride?

Quick Reply: PDK Thoughts