Sponsored by:

Thoughts on Porsche haters

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 05:28 PM
IndyRob
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on Porsche haters

Given the state of the economy, and the increase in what seems to be almost class warfare with movements such as Occupy Wall Street, etc, I would be interested to hear two things.

First, has anyone had an unfortunate event targeted at them where they feel it was because of the car they drive, for example being keyed in a parking lot, or targeted vandalism?

Second, are there any special precautions that you have employed to keep your car safer that you feel has paid off?

What opened my eyes to this was I posted in another thread about a new quick review on the sport exhaust. What is maybe not surprising to many of you is over 2,000 comments and post to a quick article on Yahoo, and in just 48 hours. The majority very negative about the kinds of people who drive these cars. I couldn't disagree more, although we all are quirky in individual ways, I feel we champion others success, we don't dispise it. Anyone been the victim of this outlash?

Here's the review, you can browse the public comments after.

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/porsche-...oud-punch.html

Last edited by IndyRob; 07-08-2012 at 05:47 PM.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:18 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't read all of the comments, but they seemed more negative toward the article than the car. It was a rather weak piece of journalism. PSE has been around for a long time.

That said, I have had nothing but positive reactions to my car. I realize it is 8 years old, but most people can't tell the difference between a 996 and a 991. To them its a 911, it's fast, and it's shiny.

I don't take any different precautions than I do with any of my other vehicles. Be courteous to other drivers, only use one parking space, avoid shady areas of town, park it in the garage when not in use.

I think it's the attitude some people have about their cars, rather than the car itself that ticks people off.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:16 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As wealth becomes more concentrated among the few, many social mores disintegrate. In countries like Mexico, where an oligarchy is rapidly converting from a government controlled by the wealthy, to one controlled by criminals, kidnaping has become widespread. Our own country sees its wealth becoming more and more concentrated at the top. I, as have many of you, have benefited from this system of wealth distribution. We should acknowledge at least two things, and likely a whole bunch more I haven't thought of. One, we are the most resilient society the world has seen, and two, we are the most heavily armed populace the world has seen. When Porsches and Mercedes start getting keyed or tires slashed, it might be the proverbial canary in the coal mine for us that have had fortunate lives. And time for us to work to avoid further deterioration if for no other reason than they have millions and millions of guns. I will put on my flame suit.......Chris
Old 07-08-2012, 10:08 PM
clembo
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Chris - I agree with most of your points, they are well put. I will disagree with your words that mention "wealth distribution". It sounds as if money is being given (distributed) to a certain few only. Obviously I know that for many, wealth has been passed down in familes, but there are some who have crossed the thresholds, moving up from the economic bottom to the top through hard work, risk taking, and dedication. Those who have done so may not agree that wealth is distributed, but it may have been fairly earned.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:35 PM
spourreza
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SSST
I didn't read all of the comments, but they seemed more negative toward the article than the car. It was a rather weak piece of journalism. PSE has been around for a long time.

That said, I have had nothing but positive reactions to my car. I realize it is 8 years old, but most people can't tell the difference between a 996 and a 991. To them its a 911, it's fast, and it's shiny.

I don't take any different precautions than I do with any of my other vehicles. Be courteous to other drivers, only use one parking space, avoid shady areas of town, park it in the garage when not in use.

I think it's the attitude some people have about their cars, rather than the car itself that ticks people off.
+1 and FYI - your car is timeless!
Old 07-08-2012, 10:57 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All 911 variants are timeless. That's the real beauty of these cars.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:03 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

no problems here. Just as SSST said, be smart, use common sense , and share the road.
I admire, not resent, successful people.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:34 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 330 Likes on 219 Posts

All good comments,....two more I believe in.....

Don't drive like a douche.
No braggart personal license plates. (for some idiots this is a major red flag)
Old 07-08-2012, 11:40 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 739 Likes on 539 Posts

+1.......and park in corner spaces or end spaces when possible and not too far from other cars.....
Old 07-09-2012, 01:15 AM
IndyRob
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yahoo is smart enough to let people vote down the overly negative posts, but these outnumber any positive thought by easily 5 to 1. If you sort by oldest first so there is no order except by post, the following posts were all posted in the first hour...this is how most of America looks at owners of these cars. True it may be still an envy, but it's directed towards us as very narcissistic, and pompous. This is just a small sampling of the posts in order of posting!

So far glad to hear no one has had anything negative happen! But doubt that is the case with all of the board. It would be hard to post how your car got keyed, damaged, etc. But have to believe it happens given the mood of the majority of people who are living week to week, and see this pursuit as extravagance. Here's a sample:

Bad Kitty. • Alpharetta, Georgia • 1 day 12 hours ago
They forgot to mention that each time the button is depressed, a short video of the driver is automatically uploaded to JerksOnParade.com.

The Mindful Lunatic • 1 day 12 hours ago
great... yet another way the self indulgent over compensating morons can be inconsiderate and just glorify being a douche...

Haystack 9000 • Charlotte, North Carolina • 1 day 12 hours ago
Oh my god!!! Really?! Really?! My dislike of Porshe is already solid. This just makes me dislike Porsche even more. If you really want a Porsche that badly, buy the original 911. I mean, c'mon! The 911 has looked exactly the same for the last 35 million years. Don't waste your money!

old goat • 1 day 12 hours ago
stupid feature

Scumbag Steve • 1 day 12 hours ago
It's a ricer fart can for the rich. Does absolutely nothing for performance and just annoys the rest of us drivers.

Corsair • 1 day 12 hours ago
Some people have way too much money.

Steven S • Rockford, Illinois • 1 day 12 hours ago
It's called the 911 to remind drivers what to dial after they have crashed it...

Annoynous • 1 day 12 hours ago
If the gas chambers from the Germans weren't bad enough, now they have to give us sound pollution. You have to love the Germans! NOT!!

Sean • Raleigh, North Carolina • 1 day 12 hours ago
I knew right away what it was. I guess "Look at me, I'm an attention *****!" was too much text for the button. Way to go Porche, because there aren't enough annoyances to enjoy during my commute.

Voice of Reason • 1 day 12 hours ago
Because owning a Porsche doesn't say, "I'm an narcissistic man-child," loud enough. "Look at me! Look at me!"

Salina • New York, New York • 1 day 12 hours ago
great story, for the 0.00000009 % that might own one

Dusty • 1 day 12 hours ago
Looks like McDonalds Happy Meal toy quality.

A Yahoo! User • St Louis, Missouri • 1 day 12 hours ago
I guess they could have called it the "show-off" switch

A Yahoo! User • 1 day 12 hours ago
The darn thing runs five minutes between major breakdowns... so who cares?

I'll stick with my old Subaru with the muffler knocked off thanks...

How Stupid is thing....Build it and these "Stuffed Shirts" will buy it...LOL
And the funny thing is these "stuffed shirts" think they are special with this garbage... A bunch of uneducated fools if you ask me....Hmmm.....They think like most fools,,,, it a sense of power....LOL

MichaelM • Brunswick, Maine • 1 day 12 hours ago
Really............I mean really!!!!! That is about as pathetic a sound for a sports car as...... ; surely there can be something better. Not to forget............it's a glorified VW.

SK3TCH MK*6 • Akron, Ohio • 1 day 12 hours ago
Rich PPL need this in a car? Stupid.

Larry • Kahului, Hawaii • 1 day 12 hours ago
It's a button sold to the self indulgent driver so that when no one is looking at him thinking he's cool, needing attention through an outward mechanical device with a load noise exhaust screaming I am a 3000 dolor attention getter because I need it.

I will stop there..
Old 07-09-2012, 03:46 AM
fanny bay r1
Burning Brakes

I tell everyone how inexpensive my 996 Cab is compared to the $142K CAD out the door cost for a new 991(Cab with similar options as mine) in Victoria - as has been said before 99.99999% of the population has now idea what a 991 is compared to a 996. To everyone I meet it looks like a brand new 911, and I tell them it costs the same as a well optioned new Accord - no envy at that point they just want to get on line and find a Porsche.

BTW I'm just careful where I park - away from everyone if I can but only in one spot. Most importantly not in any Walmart/Target parking lot where the trash don't pay any attention to how they open their doors!!
Old 07-09-2012, 06:40 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 330 Likes on 219 Posts

Most of the Yahoo comments above are just from jealous morons that don't have anything better to do but sit round and post anonymously on the web. Most are probably on their third year of unemployment checks awaiting a multi-six figure job to fall in their lap so they can go out and buy a Porsche to promptly put 24" chrome wheels on it.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:32 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

Thoughts by Porsche haters = fine indications of their mental capacity.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:45 PM
limey940
Three Wheelin'

I have noticed in movies lately how the douche often drives a Porsche.
most recently in TED, the Joel Mchale character, and before that in bridesmaids, the jon hamm character.
When my wife and i saw Ted and the douche was walking back to his car with the girl i whispered to her that i bet he had a porsche....and so it turned out
so, obviously the sentiment that some of the folks express is mainstream...
Old 07-10-2012, 05:14 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by limey940
I have noticed in movies lately how the douche often drives a Porsche.
most recently in TED, the Joel Mchale character, and before that in bridesmaids, the jon hamm character.
When my wife and i saw Ted and the douche was walking back to his car with the girl i whispered to her that i bet he had a porsche....and so it turned out
so, obviously the sentiment that some of the folks express is mainstream...
Yeah,you can only see the front and one of the wheels with the center lock and ceramic brakes. It must have been a 997.2 GT3 or GTS.
Hahaha...yeah... You've guessed it...I'm that crazy!

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Porsche haters