Sponsored by:

upgrade to more leather?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 09:07 AM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 142 Posts
Question upgrade to more leather?

Has anyone upgraded their 991 interior with more leather? If so, what did you pay? My dealer quoted $8800 parts and $1100 installation for the following leather parts: 1) upper dash; 2) lower dash; 3) console; and, 4) door panels. I suppose I could sale the removed vinyl covered pieces on eBay for some amount? Does anyone know of a better place to buy such leather parts other than the Porsche dealer?
Old 06-29-2012, 11:15 AM
c4-toy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This makes no sense. I ordered the 2tone black/gray full leather package from the factory for less than half that. Still waiting on my car delivery but not sure why your dealer is quoting you that.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:02 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by c4-toy
This makes no sense. I ordered the 2tone black/gray full leather package from the factory for less than half that. Still waiting on my car delivery but not sure why your dealer is quoting you that.
I'm guessing this gentleman already has his car and wants to do the additions in the secondary market.

As is clearly evident, to try to do this after the fact will always be more expensive. From what I've read, to try to assemble a car with parts purchased from the company's parts department, would cost 2 to 3 times the MSRP of the vehicle.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:21 PM
Alan Siegel
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

besides the seats, there are about 6 or 7 options like the dash, the pcm, what actually constitutes a full leather interior? i have leather in my 997 but honestly i'm not sure what that means exactly. if i want to duplicate "a leather interior" in the 991 i'm ordering, what is actually necessary in the options selections?
Old 06-29-2012, 05:02 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

If I remember correctly since getting out of the car last, the "full leather" surfaces add to the standard steering wheel and door closure pulls, the following: dashboard and door side panels (top and bottom), seating surfaces - all with decorative stitching, and on the standard "sport seats, leather back surfaces. In addition, there is aluminum trim on the door panels that "continue" the ones on the dash face. I got the car from dealer inventory and it had a premium package of some sort- there may be multiple ways to order it.

I have never done a custom interior, but for the price quoted to you I am sure you can get any leather interior you can imagine from a custom shop. I love the factory leather- even should it really feels more like a thin coat over aluminum rather than sumptuous as in most Italian or English sports cars.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:23 PM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I'm guessing this gentleman already has his car and wants to do the additions in the secondary market.

As is clearly evident, to try to do this after the fact will always be more expensive. From what I've read, to try to assemble a car with parts purchased from the company's parts department, would cost 2 to 3 times the MSRP of the vehicle.
That is correct. The other Porsche dealer in town quoted over $14,000 for the exact same pieces.

Quick Reply: upgrade to more leather?