Sponsored by:

991 Tires - question

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 03:54 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by spourreza
From the pics, are you seeing a major difference between the cars or am I being too **** ;-)
It looks like it is an SUV. No no just kidding.

But really, the 991 looks great(IMHO) when it is lowered a bit, as with the PASM Sport option with its shorter -20mm- springs. It is available only with 20 in wheels, but the effect in terms of looks would be the same with 19 inch wheels even with your current tires and more so if you eventually got lower profile ones.

From all indications, (reports of owners with PASM Sport and some tests of tuner cars) lowering the car mildly also returns a lot of the desirable traditioal 911 feel that owners of the older models complain about in 991s. Mine is about 3/4 in lower than the non-PASM standard suspension. The ride is more supple and the car less likely to scrape- than my old Boxter S with the same amount of lowering. And no other single thig you can do will improve overall handling like lowering the cener of gravity. Aftermarket spring solutions are starting to appear tha are worth considering and it not a huge or tricky job to have them installed.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:25 PM
HotLap
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just looking at the 997 vs the 991, the 991 looks like the wheels/tires are undersized, the wheel wells have a larger gap between the top of the tire and bottom of the fender cut out. I'd suspect this is because the 991 is made to handle 20' wheels/tires so the 19's are going to look a bit small in there.

Also, if you go with a lower profile tire (shorter sidewall) the gap is only going to look larger...I think the 19's on the 997 look perfect whereas the 19's on the 991 look too small...JMO
Old 06-27-2012, 07:32 PM
AGO
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HotLap
Just looking at the 997 vs the 991, the 991 looks like the wheels/tires are undersized, the wheel wells have a larger gap between the top of the tire and bottom of the fender cut out. I'd suspect this is because the 991 is made to handle 20' wheels/tires so the 19's are going to look a bit small in there.

Also, if you go with a lower profile tire (shorter sidewall) the gap is only going to look larger...I think the 19's on the 997 look perfect whereas the 19's on the 991 look too small...JMO
+1, surely we got now a bigger wheel arch so the same tire/wheel looks smaller in comparison. Whether we like it or not, it has been designed to look good on 20's....
Old 06-27-2012, 08:04 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Originally Posted by AGO
+1, surely we got now a bigger wheel arch so the same tire/wheel looks smaller in comparison. Whether we like it or not, it has been designed to look good on 20's....
I think the 19s with appropriate profile tires, spacers and a 20 t0 30mm drop would fit the wheel wells just as well as 20s. The car might not look as "settled between the wheels" as it does on 20s but would look great none the less.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:21 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

the overall diameter on the 991 is 27" and on 997 it was 26", which is why the tires are thicker, also tires are like shoes... they all fit differently... the brand on new car might run large, brand on old might run small..

the larger OD was to offset the feeling difference of the longer wheelbase.

a 1" change in overall diameter is actually very noticeable... its the same difference in seeing 19" rims and 20" rims...
Old 06-27-2012, 08:23 PM
spourreza
Pro

Interesting points everyone. Actually called my salesguy and he checked the 997 and 991 on the lot and he said the wheel wells are the same. I think it's the camera angle. I checked and there isn't that much space if you stare at the car dead on. I really think its a combo of the tires and the style rim. Will get use to it. Thanks to all.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:42 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Plus, it doesn't look like his car has PASM, which makes the ride height higher than an S. It all adds up to a car that just looks too high.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:40 PM
spourreza
Pro

Ok. Had an opportunity to take a few more pics. These make me feel a bit better. Rims look a bit more balanced. Some of it was the camera angle in the prior pics. I do admit that the sport design rims on the old 997.2 do look larger but I really think some of it is attributed to the tire which is 0.4 inches taller on the 991 (plus the rim design differences). Just need to get use to it. Dealer did confirm that the wheel well is pretty much the same size.

Thanks for everyone's feedback!
Attached Images     
Old 06-27-2012, 11:08 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

and PS your car looks damn nice!
Old 06-28-2012, 07:40 AM
HotLap
Racer

Sporreza, whatever way you decide to go that is one beauty 991!! My 997.2 was a black on black cab and nothing looks better than a freshly waxed black 911!!! I went with whilte this time to decrease the work keeping it clean (I'm pretty **** about that) and don't let anyone fool you - white shows dirt too!! Especially all around the rear bumper fascia and it shows the exhaust "carbon spots" in the rear as well!
Old 06-28-2012, 08:17 AM
spourreza
Pro

Sporreza, whatever way you decide to go that is one beauty 991!! My 997.2 was a black on black cab and nothing looks better than a freshly waxed black 911!!! I went with whilte this time to decrease the work keeping it clean (I'm pretty **** about that) and don't let anyone fool you - white shows dirt too!! Especially all around the rear bumper fascia and it shows the exhaust "carbon spots" in the rear as well!
Guys, thanks again for all your feedback! Sometimes one needs a therapy session!
Old 06-28-2012, 08:21 AM
spourreza
Pro

My 09 CS was black with tan interior! I promised myself I would never get a black Pcar again. Hence the silver 997.2. That car showed zero scratches! So what do I end up doing, buy another black car. I actually wanted white but for some reason, I got sold on the black - again! Putting clear bra on this Saturday (bumper and half hood). I have to admit that white looks awesome on the 991.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:22 AM
spourreza
Pro

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
and PS your car looks damn nice!
as does yours! very distinct!
Old 06-28-2012, 08:32 AM
HotLap
Racer

Originally Posted by spourreza
My 09 CS was black with tan interior! I promised myself I would never get a black Pcar again. Hence the silver 997.2. That car showed zero scratches! So what do I end up doing, buy another black car. I actually wanted white but for some reason, I got sold on the black - again! Putting clear bra on this Saturday (bumper and half hood). I have to admit that white looks awesome on the 991.
I'm going to take/post pics of mine this week. I've been meaning to already, but every time I wash it I can't resist the temptation to drive and then I need to clean it again before pics...viscious cycle, I know
Old 06-29-2012, 08:39 PM
CayS
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a nice little tool to help identify and visualize the exact parameter differences between the various rim and tire specs:
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Quick Reply: 991 Tires - question