Sponsored by:

991 Teething Troubles anyone ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 02:20 PM
991mike
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 991 Teething Troubles anyone ?

Hi I'm a new member but have been a 911 owner for the last 4 generations of them - just picked up the 991 Cab S and am loving it but have noticed 2 issues that my local delaer cant fix and was wondering if anybody else had it.

i) XM Radio constantly had poor reception and loses the signal - the dealer tested it and apparently found the same issue in 3 other 991 and some Cayannes - anybody here have that issue if so what did yr dealer say ?

ii) Interim Service interval message displayed at startup - dealer says its a problem with the diagnostic equipment.

other than that its fab !

Mike
Old 06-19-2012, 07:34 PM
clembo
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

My 991 is my third Porsche that has had spotty XM performance. I have other cars that have much better service. I was hoping the 991 would be better but it is not. I also have a 2012 Cayenne S which has similar performance with XM.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:55 PM
skinzy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same with mine. XM goes out easily. No odd message.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:01 PM
sapman
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

My XM service has been fine.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:51 PM
Houston_991
AutoX

I have had multiple problems and 4 repair attempts with quality problems affecting the suspension, lights / front control unit, glovebox and an incorrectly repaired fuel line (recall repair) on my 991 CS bought in February 2012.

The car I bought has keyless entry and the trunk opens when I wash the car with a hose. Unclear if it opens in the rain when driving and I refuse to drive it now having had so many problems with it. The dealer (Porsche West Houston) were horrible which is quite surprising since I bought 5 cars from them. Sonic provided no recourse. I have always been a loyal customer and very polite to this dealer; apparently this means little to them.

Trying to get PCNA to buy back but they are being extremely uncooperative and trying to drag out the process for as long as possible. Not impressed and now planning to get rid of this car one way or another (I bought a VW!).

4 repair attempts is within the allowable for the Texas Lemon Law and apparently PCNA will only do the very bare minimum as required by law and this does not include buying the car back since they say it is now successfully repaired, but I have now have no confidence in this early production vehicle. Will not buy another Porsche. Congratulations Porsche on punishing your customers for your poor quality control!
Old 06-21-2012, 04:03 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 157 Posts

My XM works pretty well. As good as any of my other vehicles. I have it in 3 vehicles.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:58 PM
skinzy
Instructor

I noticed the same thing with my trunk. If I wash the car with the key in my pocket it always opens. If I try to open with hand gesture it takes multiple attempts!
Old 06-21-2012, 05:56 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts

Was it here or on 6 that the car washing / opening thing was discussed? Not limited to Porsche.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:04 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

1) I can if I get the hose in just the right place get my trunk to pop with the hose spray if I have the key in my pocket. So I leave the key 10 feet away in the garage. More annoying is that with certain temp/humidity combinations, mostly very early morning, the proximity sensor misbehaves until the hood has been popped with the key.

2) I have an intermittent minor rattle - that sounds like a speaker overloading- in the driver side door that I can stop with my elbow pressing the top of the door panel. I had the exact same same noise on my 08 Boxter S and on numerous rides with the dealer tech it was quiet! i finally demanded that the dealer tech remove the panel and find it. So he did and it turned out to be the clip that holds the panel to the door. The dealer has promised to do that the first time I get the car services or if it really is bothersome. So far I can wait.

3) I had a little bulge in the rubber trim filler strip on the driver side door behind the sunroof- the kind that only a bought new Porsche owner would care about. After complaining about it they got a replacement piece from the factory. The tech replaced the trim strip. Then he showed me that the strip is designed to be removed to place a roof rack upright into the slot and just needs to be pushed in carefully. D'oh.

No other problems of any sort so far. It is the best new car I have never owned.

However-

The dealership has had a couple of major problems with cars they got (before they were sold) that drove them nuts. One car had to have the PDK transmission totally replaced as they could not fix whatever was not working. The other involved the wind blocker somehow causing a cab not to start- I think they fixed that with a software fix.

Last edited by chuckbdc; 06-22-2012 at 12:07 PM. Reason: fat fingers
Old 06-22-2012, 11:09 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

Car close to perfect
No issues
Old 06-23-2012, 09:40 AM
CDinSing
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 75 Posts

Only 2 days on the clock, but no issues so far! Just need more time behind the wheel...
Old 06-23-2012, 11:50 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 451 Likes on 200 Posts

Essentially perfect except for an occasional small buzzing or rattle in interior sounds like from the sunroof panel. Brakes squeal but a service manager told me just to brake hard a few times and presto, no squeal.

The exterior can't stay clean. I guess if I stop driving it may..I washed it again today.

This is the most fantastic car I have ever owned or driven.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:06 AM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

Just bought a tiguan with Sirius and it cuts out sometimes. Probably the same equipment. It does so in heavy tree environments or inside DC.
Old 06-24-2012, 03:19 PM
peterm
Racer

going back in for second de-rattling and of course yesterday the radio stopped picking up HD and regular reception has faltered????? It was for the last week in and out of HD 50% of the time
Old 06-24-2012, 06:44 PM
MojoCowboy
Intermediate

Sirius cuts out in pretty much every car. Especially traveling through underpass.

Quick Reply: 991 Teething Troubles anyone ?