Sponsored by:

New observations on the 991

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 12:07 AM
HotLap
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New observations on the 991

I hope you all don't mind but being an owner of a 2009 997.2 C2S Cab and now a 2012 C2S cab, I would like to continue posting my impressions between the two as I get to know the 991. Both were/are great cars so this is not at the expense of one or the other - just differences (IMO).

1) The 991 Bose audio system is a huge improvement over my 997.2's Bose system. I really hadn't paid much attention to the sounds in the 991 until tonight as I love the sound of the engine/exhaust so I generally have the tunes on, but low. Tonight I set up the sound settings for all the various media types (Disc, Tuner, SAT, Aux) and it ROCKS!! I'm an old guy and had the Eagles Hotel California and Kansas Wayward Son cranking - awesome sounds that had the potential to blow me out of the car...amazing that this is the first high end factory sound system that actually delivers (IMO). I can only imagine what the folks with the B-Meister system are feeling!! I also tried classic music on SAT and the highs/lows were amazing. I've paid big $$'s for "Preimum sound systems" with BMW, Lincoln and they are always weak and underpowered sounding compared to the 991's Bose system...can you tell I like these tunes Seriously, I had them LOUD and they still sounded GREAT!!

2) For daily driving I always have the PASM or Sport Suspension setting engaged as the car feels too soft in comfort mode for me...vs with my 997 I generally cruised in the comfort mode and dialed up the sport mode only when driving more agressively.

3) The interior fit/finish and thoughtful touches abound on the 991, the graphics in the multifunction dispaly are awesome and finally cutting edge. Controls are great and the ventilated seats are the best!!

4) I had to smile once I figured out how Porsche engineers addressed the 1971 Camaro door slam/clunk issue...on my 997 when closing the doors it made a very clunky (1971 Camaro type noise) and now they have the windows programmed to raise 1/2 inch so they don't have that horrible clang when closing the doors...way cool to have a $100K + car not sound like a 71 Camaro...more to come and I'd like to hear your first impressions as well.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:41 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 667 Likes on 328 Posts

All good observations -- I agree. The Bose system is amazing.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:57 AM
cmb13
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Does the Bose have a nice tight kick? The Bose on my Vette sucked. We used to say it Blose. I replaced it with custom JL audio equipment, not b/c volume, but b/c it had a nice tight kick throughout the range.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:56 PM
HotLap
Racer

Originally Posted by cmb13
Does the Bose have a nice tight kick? The Bose on my Vette sucked. We used to say it Blose. I replaced it with custom JL audio equipment, not b/c volume, but b/c it had a nice tight kick throughout the range.
Believe it or not - it actually does, much better than my 997.2 and BMW preimum Bose systems!!
Old 06-19-2012, 05:06 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

windows dipped on 997.1 and 997.2 the change came from entirely new doors.. they are lighter and like the boxster spyder... much lighter. all new cross members inside.. lower center of gravity

sound is mostly better because of added sound dampening...
Old 06-19-2012, 05:14 PM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by HotLap
4) I had to smile once I figured out how Porsche engineers addressed the 1971 Camaro door slam/clunk issue...on my 997 when closing the doors it made a very clunky (1971 Camaro type noise) and now they have the windows programmed to raise 1/2 inch so they don't have that horrible clang when closing the doors...way cool to have a $100K + car not sound like a 71 Camaro...more to come and I'd like to hear your first impressions as well.
Your 997 should do that too... as do many BMWs from 1992 onwards...

Mark
Old 06-19-2012, 05:58 PM
HotLap
Racer

Thanks guys for the feedback and I wish I would have known the 997.2 was supposed to do that...the windows didn't raise at all when I opened the doors and the cheap sounding "clunk" when closing the doors drove me nuts. I got to where I would close them very softly and/or hold my fingers against the top of the window glass to keep it from clunking so loud. When I first got the 997 I was showing a neighbor and he actually commented on how tacky that sounded coming from a Porsche - never let him drive it for that comment though

Quick Reply: New observations on the 991