Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

So much for the base oval tips......
Old 06-14-2012, 06:58 PM
Alphajor
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love the car, hate the license plate, never got why they're so busy in America, lots of green letters, oranges, a map, a website..., looks bad in such a beautiful car.

Rijowysock:
I really like your suspension set up, I guess this is the first lowered 991 with aftermarket springs.
Please let us know your impression of the HR's, how do they compare with the stock susp., any harshness, bumpy ride?
I am taking delivery of a 3.4l 991 this weekend and cant stop thinking if this mod is a good idea.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:26 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HotLap
Looks sweeet! So are your wheels new or the orig stock? Looks nice, how's the ride so far?
ride is actually better than i thought, in the past on all my vehicles i always opted for coilovers versus springs because vehicles i had driven in with springs had a bad ride and felt "odd", drove another ~50 miles today good roads and bad and the ride is great, actually went to the dealer and test drove the manual trans again (vehicle had sport pasm) and i like the feel of the springs on stock susp better than the sport PASM, and height wise i am about 10mm lower than the sport pasm...

regarding the manual trans, not sure how i feel about it.. the trans is the exact same as pdk just with a single clutch but the new gearbox setup is still bizarre to me considering how the shifting feels and how the car is basically a sequential now... can only go +/-, it guides you basically to next gear...

Originally Posted by docfink
Looks great, Riley. I guess those are H&R springs to lower it?

I was thinking of doing this to my C4S, but concerned about our crappier roads here and the chances of increased front end scraping.
ride is good, surprised the heck out of me.. i bought because nobody has a coilover out yet, but comparing to past susp(kw v3) i like the springs.. coilovers are firmer and more controlled at higher speeds but these springs are great.. they are progressive meaning soft and then firm... they take bumps well but hold the car very well at same time.

Originally Posted by GJ
So much for the base oval tips......
i liked the new 991 version ovals but end of day i prefer these tips, had the same on my 997.2

Originally Posted by Alphajor
Love the car, hate the license plate, never got why they're so busy in America, lots of green letters, oranges, a map, a website..., looks bad in such a beautiful car.

Rijowysock:
I really like your suspension set up, I guess this is the first lowered 991 with aftermarket springs.
Please let us know your impression of the HR's, how do they compare with the stock susp., any harshness, bumpy ride?
I am taking delivery of a 3.4l 991 this weekend and cant stop thinking if this mod is a good idea.

unfortunately a license plate is not something i can change, i can get different ones with diff pics, but they all have pics... i actually tried to get a Govt yellow one once since the guidelines said you could w/o ID but after a few weeks they contacted me and wouldnt let it pass thru system. this is florida, the state is shown, the oranges are our crop and has a website... you can get without the "sunshine state" and get your county instead... but i prefer the sunshine state.

the H&R are great, no problems with them at all.. they ride better than i thought and springs+install is much cheaper than sport pasm for a base... if i bought an "S" i more than likely would rather pay 900$ for sport pasm versus worrying about springs cause the look is very similar.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:12 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

forgot to mention, anyone thats been underneath the 991... check out the upper strut mounts!... holy moly.. they are usually just pressed steel, but now they are super thick solid steel, and even drilled out to reduce weight... and if you check out the suspension links in the back and compare to 997.2 you'll see why the car drives as great as it does!.

ill try and get some pics soon, had a minor rattle today in susp.. and had wheels off... was just some sediment from these torrential rains here lately.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:57 AM
spourreza
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks great. nice color combo.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:34 AM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Stunning!
Old 07-13-2012, 08:22 AM
caveatesq1
Intermediate

Riley,

Your car looks great. Now that you have had the H&R springs installed for a bit, how do you like them? I am contemplating having them installed on my base 991. I like the lowered look but I don't want to pay too much of a ride penalty.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:16 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by caveatesq1
Riley,

Your car looks great. Now that you have had the H&R springs installed for a bit, how do you like them? I am contemplating having them installed on my base 991. I like the lowered look but I don't want to pay too much of a ride penalty.
i really like them, i can put you in touch with who i bought them from for a discounted set.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:31 PM
jj99c2
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

How does the "Gundo Hack" exhaust sound? I had the same done on my 997 and liked it. I have the 991 S but without sport exhaust and its too quiet. Did you get a picture of how they made the modification?
Old 07-13-2012, 04:39 PM
caveatesq1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rijowysock
i really like them, i can put you in touch with who i bought them from for a discounted set.
Thanks - Are you worried about premature wear on the shocks and are scraping the front on ramps and driveway entrances? I am concerned that with the crappy road conditions here in the New England, I will regret a firmer ride.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:35 AM
Harold
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 17 Posts

Lovely looking car Riley. Nice mods.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:52 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jj99c2
How does the "Gundo Hack" exhaust sound? I had the same done on my 997 and liked it. I have the 991 S but without sport exhaust and its too quiet. Did you get a picture of how they made the modification?
my 997.1=sounded great
997.2=needed center bypass as well cause dfi has extra cats and quieter.
991 sounds just like 997.2 did, needs a center bypass which im working with a company to create.

your "S" model already basically has a "gundo hack" because the center muffler has outlets directly off it to the tips... your car sounds like my car w/ hack.. pops and burbles but not loud.. we both need a center bypass pipe.

Originally Posted by caveatesq1
Thanks - Are you worried about premature wear on the shocks and are scraping the front on ramps and driveway entrances? I am concerned that with the crappy road conditions here in the New England, I will regret a firmer ride.
the shocks shouldnt wear much more, the drop is very subtle...maybe 10mm lower than PASM. i just use the angle approach method to avoid scraping, also the sport pasm front lip takes the hit and is very easy to replace. the ride is not that much firmer.. the springs are progressive meaning soft until they are compressed to a point and then firm up with more compression.

Originally Posted by Harold
Lovely looking car Riley. Nice mods.
thank you.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:58 PM
CarManDSL
Rennlist Member

Received 352 Likes on 200 Posts
Default Swapping springs without shocks and sways -

Swapping out the springs for lower stiffer versions without changing shocks and sway bars leads to an improper balance of chassis components.

While the ride height looks sweet and easy for any tuner to do, the real challenge is spending the 1000's of engineering and testing hours to get the sways, shocks and springs to work properly together.

Look at the following to give you an idea what the factory spring/sway bar rates are.

Model_______Sway bar diameter_______front spring_____rear spring
991_________26.8 x 4.0 mm (hallow)____24 nm_________48 nm
991S________26.8 mm________________28 nm_________62 nm
991S Sport___28.0 mm________________33 nm________108 nm

The shock differences must be substantial as well in particular the cars with or without PASM.

What spring rates did you install?
Old 07-16-2012, 04:24 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by CarManDSL
Swapping out the springs for lower stiffer versions without changing shocks and sway bars leads to an improper balance of chassis components.

While the ride height looks sweet and easy for any tuner to do, the real challenge is spending the 1000's of engineering and testing hours to get the sways, shocks and springs to work properly together.

Look at the following to give you an idea what the factory spring/sway bar rates are.

Model_______Sway bar diameter_______front spring_____rear spring
991_________26.8 x 4.0 mm (hallow)____24 nm_________48 nm
991S________26.8 mm________________28 nm_________62 nm
991S Sport___28.0 mm________________33 nm________108 nm

The shock differences must be substantial as well in particular the cars with or without PASM.

What spring rates did you install?
i'm very well versed in suspension and understand the sway bars are mated to the spring rates used... the shock valving is different and also mated to the springs..

the H&R are progressive springs so help retard the downsides, if the car is regularly tracked you might see some shortcomings but none otherwise.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:52 PM
jj99c2
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the details on the exhaust Riley. I look forward to seeing the center bypass.

Quick Reply: Finally Lowered w/ Exhaust!