Sponsored by:

sport exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 12:34 AM
Al Morales
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question sport exhaust

I just bought a new 991S with all the extras except sport exhaust. My salesman said I didn’t need it because the car already sounds great. I now regret not getting it and my car is scheduled to arrive in two weeks. My question is can I add this option as an aftermarket
Old 06-11-2012, 01:14 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you can on the 997 so i would guess yes. furthermore im sure there will be several coming from the tuning community.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:35 AM
greenie
Advanced

Al, there are plenty of after-market options for your 991. By the way, never listen to a salespersons opinion on something so subjective as sound!
Old 06-12-2012, 10:10 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

A factory sport exhaust is the way to go if you can add it.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:03 PM
peterm
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

didnt get sport exhaust the "assisted" aural experience inside without it is pretty nice. I always liked the sport exhaust but really only appreciated it driving amoung the buildings in manhattan or in a tunnel, otherwise you only hear it when someone else is driving. At the road show they made sure that sport was on as when the cars it the track it was an awesome cacophany of sound, but in the car - not so much
Old 06-14-2012, 12:37 AM
Al Morales
AutoX

Thank you all for the comments. Here in Hong Kong it’s so different. When I bought my 997 there are many options for the car that are standard in Porsche USA. I had to add the Bluetooth and PCM to my 997 after I took delivery because it was not stock in HK. But parking sensors are standard here but an option in the USA. I would definitely prefer to go with a factory fit for the sports exhaust if possible. My 991 (Dark Blue Metallic / Luxor Beige) is on the boat now and scheduled to arrive Hong Kong in about one week than one week to clear customs. Can't Wait!
Old 06-14-2012, 01:14 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

the S really doesnt need it, stock exhaust is true quad with bypassed centers... really great sounding.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:24 AM
Al Morales
AutoX

That's what my salesman said. I got the S model so he said the sound was already very nice. In Hong Kong there is a 100% luxury tax. The sport exhaust would have been very pricy.. My 997 sounded nice but still on the Porsche microsite they have an example of the sport exhaust on the 991 S model and it sounds bad to the bone. I want it. There are a lot of tunnels her in HK
Old 06-14-2012, 03:02 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Al Morales
That's what my salesman said. I got the S model so he said the sound was already very nice. In Hong Kong there is a 100% luxury tax. The sport exhaust would have been very pricy.. My 997 sounded nice but still on the Porsche microsite they have an example of the sport exhaust on the 991 S model and it sounds bad to the bone. I want it. There are a lot of tunnels her in HK
again, listen first.. the PSE was always a baffle that allowed the exhaust to bypass areas of the exhaust (side mufflers).. the S already bypasses the sides w/ the center outlets.. the PSE then allowing the outlet tips to bypass the sides moreso..

id say youll love as is,

worst case, can add... but thats expensive fro a button and 2 valves.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:45 AM
JUPJAI
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts

I agree - I drove 991 S - PSE and no PSE not so different. You saved some $ and will be happy.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:01 PM
kosmo
Race Director

i wanna hear a TUbi.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:50 PM
ScorpionT
Instructor

Originally Posted by rijowysock
the S really doesnt need it, stock exhaust is true quad with bypassed centers... really great sounding.
The base and S share the same exhaust, the only difference is the tip style.

Originally Posted by JUPJAI
I agree - I drove 991 S - PSE and no PSE not so different. You saved some $ and will be happy.
Sad but true, the difference is minimal.

Originally Posted by kosmo
i wanna hear a TUbi.
I heard it, was not impressed at all.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:12 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ScorpionT
The base and S share the same exhaust, the only difference is the tip style.

Sad but true, the difference is minimal.

I heard it, was not impressed at all.

i disagree on all levels,

S Vehicle: headers-->cats-->Center Muffler (muffler has 2 inlets and 4 outlets) 2 outlets feed directly off center muffler out the inner tips (bypassing side mufflers) and the other outlets feed the side mufflers and then out the rear.. the vehicle has "true" quad exhaust with the center tips feeding straight off center muffler.

Base Vehicle: header-->cats--->center muffler (2 inlet, 2 outlet) the outlets feed only the side cans, and side cans feed the tips...

S stock sounds like 997.2 PSE, the PSE for these models have baffles in the center of the center muffler that can then fully bypass the side mufflers... this is why difference is minimal..

base model stock versus PSE is a differnce, same difference as base and S...

the S exhaust basically did what the gundo hack has always done, and the PSE has always done.. bypass the side cans for better sound.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:19 PM
HotLap
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rijowysock
Agreed, I had the Sharkwerks center muffler bypass on my 997S as it was too quiet with just the stock pipes. The Sharkwerks give it a nice sound and I was expecting to have to do the same with my 991 C2S, but the stock S sound is great and will work for me. After putting 600 miles on the car I'm very happy with it. Before I installed the Sharkwerks on my 997S, I looked into adding the factory sport exhaust but it wasn't really a good deal ($3500 - $4K) as compared wiht aftermarket exhaust and I didn't really care for the "hot dog in a bun" tips...so that's why I went with the $600 Sharkwerks center muffler bypass pipe. Had a couple of guys with factory sport exhaust tell me it sounded very similar.

Drive your new C2S for a while before you change the exhaust, you just may be happy with the sound as is. It is more agressive than my stock 997CS2 was!
Old 06-14-2012, 04:47 PM
kosmo
Race Director

i like my bypass pipes. Is it available for the 991?

Quick Reply: sport exhaust