Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK woes (991 Specific)

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 01:52 PM
hockeyguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 997.2 C2S pdk, which I love. Yes, the harsh 2-1 downshifts can get annoying, but I'd rather have that than the "listlessness" that some feel desribes the pdk in the 991.
Btw, early reviews of the new Boxter actually praise the low end torque in the pdk, as well as the steering feel vs. the 991.
Based on the above, I've decided to wait for the new Cayman to come out next year, and test it back-to-back with the 991, before I choose my next Porsche....
Old 06-09-2012, 05:25 PM
zanwar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rijowysock
thats why the ferrari paddles are much longer, so when you steer you can still flick the paddle... genius design imo..

i know porsche will never do it, but we have no need for a damn "shifter" anymore... start in N and let us select 1 or R... and/or put a reverse button on console... much easier... much more sports car like.
Maserati works the same way, huge column mounted shifters. The robotic manual cars have the "1" and "R" buttons you describe. In the US, all they sell is the traditional automatic which is still fitted with a control stick, but it's small and easy to flick over into manual mode. When in manual mode, you can nudge the stick to change gear (forward to change down, back to change up) but I've never used this feature because the column mounted paddles are so good. Whenever I'm driving a PDK car, I always wish I had a manual. I've never wanted a manual in the Maserati. Not once. The interface and programming of the auto is that good. Perhaps Porsche will change things with the 991 GT3.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:58 PM
roup1
Advanced

My previous car was a base 997.2 with PDK. That transmission was way too tame. My car did not have Sport Chrono and I regretted it from day one. Shifts took too long and the automatic model drove like a Camry. My 991 S PDK is a whole different animal. (I do have Sport Chrono). I agree that the non-sport mode is pretty boring in automatic mode. But I am very happy with the Sport mode.

IMHO, Porsche should not even offer these cars without Sport Chrono. It should be mandatory on all PDK cars.

Last edited by roup1; 06-10-2012 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-10-2012, 08:15 PM
TSpyder
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by roup1
...I agree that the non-sport mode is pretty boring in automatic mode. But I am very happy with the Sport mode.

IMHO, Porsche should not even offer these cars without Sport Chrono. It should be mandatory on all PDK cars.
Hi roup. In that first sentence, did you mean to write sport mode, or sport+ mode? The reason I ask is you get sport mode in an S, even if you don't have Sport Chrono. I've ordered the latter btw--Z pick-up in 10 days!--and hope that I find sports+ to be significantly better than sport mode alone. Else, that wart on the dash will be staring back at me in mute testimony to my squandering $2k

Spyder
Old 06-10-2012, 08:49 PM
roup1
Advanced

I definitely meant (just) Sport mode. Sport+ is very cool but I find it way too aggressive in auto mode. It would be perfect on the track I suppose. I only use Sport+ in manual mode and only when out on spirited fun drives.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:07 PM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikie
You guys are making me really nervous. I never ordered a $125,000 car before (1/8th of a Million!). I got PDK because all the damn journalists said it was nirvana. We're the scribes paid off again? Sometime in July, I will give you my answer. I got a manual GT3 in the garage and the 991 S will be coming with a PDK but with the right suspension and brake crap instead of the bling crap. But, boy, I am sure going to be on pins and needles until then.
You know what?....It will probably just fine. Happy customers don't post as much as unhappy ones.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:16 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 110 Posts

Holli82,
Change it to 7MT If u still can. I did after driving the PDK several times. I missed the throttle control I have with the manual.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:24 PM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 246 Likes on 150 Posts

After almost 3 years in an Audi S5 with a dual-clutch tranny as a daily driver, I bought a 911 Carrera S coupe with a 7 speed manual on Friday. After only 200 miles, I know I made the right decision. The dual-clutch tranny seems all high tech and exciting at first, but after day to day use, it gets boring.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:51 PM
roup1
Advanced

Spyder, I would not worry at all. You're going to love the car! I've owned six P-cars and this is by far the best one yet.

I'm also quite jealous of the Z pick up. I've been to visit numerous times but have never picked up there. It will truly be a memorable experience I'm sure!!
Old 06-10-2012, 11:02 PM
jlamb
Track Day

Default i agree. I find that there is a 1-2 second delay

it's been about 5 weeks since i picked the car up, and about 4000 miles so far....

in the 997 days i went from owning a 6 speed cab (which i liked) and test driving the PDK i was instantly convinced it was better and upgraded to a PDK coupe (never looked back)

with the 991, I ordered PDK and subsequently test drove a PDK (test drive really isn't a good way to get the feel for a vehicle fully (pressure/salesman present) ) and liked it, having driven it now several miles, I can say without a doubt that the PDK on the 991 lacks soul and character like the 997.2 PDK had and I honestly wish I would have gone 7 speed manual.

Auto Mode (Normal): feels like driving a minivan, very bland and boring.

Auto Mode (Sport): more pickup, more character, nice down shifts on hard decel to proper gear (like the sound the symposer puts out, but outside car is still only engine noise) accel from standstill is very weak down low.

Manual Mode (Normal): throttle response is bland, accel from standstill still weak unless rolling in 1st, downshifts sound sexy

Manual Mode (Sport): throttle response is better but still bland, accel from stand still is still weak but rolling in 1st accel is stronger, downshifts are obviously sexier sounding..

Biggest Con: The vehicle "compensates" too much and "interupts" the driving experience, from standstill the power delivery is weak but engine wants to go (i feel the clutch is feathered too much and needs to be direct delivery of power) also when driving aggressively I feel a disconnect from the engine as if the trans is "feathering" something, or maybe the engine is pulling timing to retard the power output? I feel the car is further away from a manual transmission than in the past purely because of the software installed to "interupt" the driver...

does anyone else feel this when they are driving? I honestly feel Porsche needs to step up to the plate with a PDK update to address the problems or I'm not even sure I would/will want a PDK when the GT3 comes out (in the past I was nothing but excited to see a PDK trans in the GT3 which would make it "Turbo" fast but naturally aspirated.

-Riley
When at a stop and punching the accelerator i notice a 1-2 second delay. Its different than a typical;hesitation. It's more of a computer delay, kind of like a turbo lag, without the turbo. definitely there 90% of the time.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:39 PM
Rushman71
Instructor

I just got back from Ca. and drove an S and standard back to back. There's no comparison. It almost felt as if the cars are unrelated. The S was a much sharper and more involving ride. They both had PDK, but the base had little else while the S had all the performance goodies except the PDCC. Sorry to say, but the base feels like a watered down chick version.

The chassis is so competent the main sense I got from the base was that it was underpowered and so it never really woke up for me. Even 400hp feels close to inadequate. What this car really needs is another 100 hp. I'll probably drive this for 2 years, then trade up to whatever hardcore version is out at the time.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:24 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by roup1
My previous car was a base 997.2 with PDK. That transmission was way too tame. My car did not have Sport Chrono and I regretted it from day one. Shifts took too long and the automatic model drove like a Camry. My 991 S PDK is a whole different animal. (I do have Sport Chrono). I agree that the non-sport mode is pretty boring in automatic mode. But I am very happy with the Sport mode.

take note, we do not need "sport chrono" we only need "sport plus" which is a computer map....

in the past (997) you could add "sport plus" button to said vehicle (computer programming and button)..

i feel the vehicle should have regular and "sport" stock as it does but maybe make the sport more extreme.. or make sport and sport plus standard (without chrono, without adaptive engine mounts, without launch control)... they can still then have "sport chrono" option with those additional items.

i would have ordered sport chrono for the normal 1k price. but 2500 basically because of launch control and adaptive mounts was steep. (remember sport chrono was always 960$ or 1480 with PDK prior to 991 which added adaptive engine mounts mandatory to the option)
Old 06-11-2012, 01:51 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Rushman71
I just got back from Ca. and drove an S and standard back to back. There's no comparison. It almost felt as if the cars are unrelated. The S was a much sharper and more involving ride. They both had PDK, but the base had little else while the S had all the performance goodies except the PDCC. Sorry to say, but the base feels like a watered down chick version.

The chassis is so competent the main sense I got from the base was that it was underpowered and so it never really woke up for me. Even 400hp feels close to inadequate. What this car really needs is another 100 hp. I'll probably drive this for 2 years, then trade up to whatever hardcore version is out at the time.
So you are looking for a more involving and more masculine ride, but test-driving PDKs?
Old 06-11-2012, 03:24 PM
roup1
Advanced

take note, we do not need "sport chrono" we only need "sport plus" which is a computer map....
Yes, I agree 100%! The Sport Plus will do the trick and should be standard on all Carrera S cars.

I understand that some people don't like the "wart" on the dash. I must be in the minority. I actually like it! I always associate Rolex Daytonas or any cool chronographs (Tag, IWC etc) with Porsches and the rich racing heritage. I also like how on the 991 it actually does something when not being used...
Old 06-11-2012, 04:24 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

To each his own, of course, but I would actually pay extra (if it were necessary to do so) to *not* have the wart. And as an MT driver, I saw no great value in the sports chrono option.

Quick Reply: PDK woes (991 Specific)