Sponsored by:

991 & Vandalism

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 03:13 PM
skinzy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 991 & Vandalism

Getting my new 991 Cab at the end of next week (hopefully). My biggest fear is taking my first Porsche into public parking lots. Are these cars vandal magnets? Have a friend who just got his new honda "keyed". Are our cars more prone to this and what safety tips work?
Old 05-20-2012, 03:31 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

never been keyed, dont **** people off and you should be fine
Old 05-20-2012, 03:32 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, it's just one of the down sides of owning a brand new car, the realistic fear of getting it dinged, scratch, rock chips etc., vandalism is more rare though. Not much can be done about it. The more paranoid you are, the more it happens. So best to be just carefree about it and use your common sense about where not to park it.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:28 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts

After my first hood chip on my 997, I felt very liberated.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:33 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

It makes sense not to park your car in places where you personally wouldn't feel safe. Don't take up two spots in parking lots, and don't do things to **** people off that might encourage them to go after your car in retribution. Common sense goes a long way, but of course there are no guarantees and no way to counteract the actions of the random AH.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:26 PM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Park far away at the far end of parking lots. The exercise wil do you good. As Mike in LA said don't take up two spots or park at an angle. Using these simple rules I got no vandalism on my 996 for 12 years. My theory bad stupid people don't like to walk far to do their stupid deeds.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:43 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by skinzy
Getting my new 991 Cab at the end of next week (hopefully). My biggest fear is taking my first Porsche into public parking lots. Are these cars vandal magnets? Have a friend who just got his new honda "keyed". Are our cars more prone to this and what safety tips work?
Life's too short to spend time worrying about stuff like this. In 36 years of driving, I've never had a car vandalized.

I know it happens but it is rare. Just use common sense when parking. Rock chips, door dings and curb rash are a much bigger threat than keying.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:17 PM
CayS
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveFromMN
Park far away at the far end of parking lots ... don't take up two spots or park at an angle.
Originally Posted by SSST
Life's too short to spend time worrying about stuff like this. In 36 years of driving, I've never had a car vandalized.
I totally agree. Never did these obviously stupid things and never got any of my cars vandalized.
My single biggest concern are people leaving their shopping carts wherever their car is parked. Add some wind or a sloped parking lot...
Ergo, you will find my car at the far ends of the parking lot or on the highest spots. This also led to some great chats with car afficionados who parked beside me just to be in the "safe zone" too.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:26 PM
skinzy
Instructor

Originally Posted by fbroen
After my first hood chip on my 997, I felt very liberated.
I think thats it. Drive and enjoy. Still that first ding has got to hurt!
Old 05-20-2012, 07:32 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Never had it in US with 3 911's, but in England they seem to hate other people's success, particularly ASBO's; so I've seen nice cars with a brick through the windshield, flambéd, and keyed.

Ironically the only place I've ever experienced real road aggression was driving through Knoxville when some redneck short of a fully illuminated lightbulb, driving a SuperRam pick up truck with a Confederate flag on the door, tried to forcibly move me out of my lane.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:38 PM
street
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Our local club newsletter had a piece on avoiding parking lot problems including vandalism.

Many of the tips covered in the above posts. I'd add one more to the above. When in doubt, leave the good car at home.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:48 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 439 Posts

Every dark metallic car I've had over the past 15 years has been keyed. May have just been a coincidence, but now I buy light color cars if the model may in any way suggest affluence. Seems to be less of a temptation as the key marks don't show as well.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:57 PM
Franklin229
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by skinzy
Buy a cheap beater car for parking in public lots-
Old 05-22-2012, 01:01 AM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Franklin229
Buy a cheap beater car for parking in public lots-
Nah. That would defeat the all-aroundness usability and one of the great features of the 911, IMO. But I am a minimalist a heart, and don't want an extra car, so I may be a bit extreme there.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:07 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Can't say ive had much success parking an expensive Porsche amongst mainstream cars in a public car park. Only when i absolutely have no alternative and even then i will park it at the other end far away.... Street parking is the better bet. That way they can only bump the bars....which they will always find a way to do no matter how much room you give. Having a door swung into the side usually means panel and paint....owch!

Quick Reply: 991 & Vandalism