Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's starting to happen -- the 997 looking old(er)

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 09:21 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
Porsche glasses are to be expected here, but I'd bet the non Porsche biased enthusiasts would not agree.
When it comes to something as subjective as like of design/looks, what exactly would non-biased glasses be?
Old 05-20-2012, 09:35 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fbroen
When it comes to something as subjective as like of design/looks, what exactly would non-biased glasses be?
Non-biased glasses are the ones that can be neutral and make logical assessments regardless of where their pre-disposition (I.E. what they own or are enthusiastic about) lies.

I can't stand Mercedes slush boxes, road feel, sportiness, or have any like for them. But what I can do is tell a beautiful car when I see one, and actual effort put into the design vs throwing on a big wing and bright colors as Porsche has been doing, real design changes.

The Gimmicks (bright colors and stickers) don't compare to real design cues IMO.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:58 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

I would argue, then, that you are C63-biased, when it comes to the looks. I don't think one can claim a right of wrong answer here.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:02 PM
wanna911
Race Car

I would argue, then, that you are C63-biased, when it comes to the looks. I don't think one can claim a right of wrong answer here.

LOL, that's a bit of a reach isn't it? Claiming I'm biased towards the looks when I have no other reason to like the car, rather than blindly trying to find a way to justify the slightly updated 911 design because I own one?

Can you really make a justifiable argument for bias? I doubt it, there is no logic to that.

Mine sounds like more of a subjective opinion vs bias related to the initial post in here (comparing looks). And probably most of the rest of them.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:04 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So if we are now debating whether the C63 Black is better looking than the 991, then I would agree that it is a better looking car than the 991. It's also better looking than a 996 TT (barely).

MB knows how to style a car.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:28 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by SSST
So if we are now debating whether the C63 Black is better looking than the 991, then I would agree that it is a better looking car than the 991. It's also better looking than a 996 TT (barely).

MB knows how to style a car.

The C63 and CLK63 blacks are two of the best looking cars out right now IMO and yes that would include all iterations of 911 that they look better than (including the 4.0 RS, GT2 RS)

I'm not in any way saying they are better cars because IMO they are not at all, but they sure look better to me.

I just don't think Porsche has done enough to distinguish the GT3 from the C2/4 whatever. A big wing/bumper and bright colors/stickers is all we get. How about some real RSR style fender flares and more extreme design like the factory wide body kits from the older 911's. That would be a more fair comparison for the 911.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:39 PM
speed21
Banned

OK. As the topic has now shifted to which is the better looking car out of the 3 car lineup then i would also agree the Benz does it with far more style. The GT3 on the other hand is all spoilers, stripes, and "look at me" tack ons. Sure it appeals to the track set, as essentially that's the environment this car was designed for. But as a fashion or styling statement it's a bit too "out there" IMHO for street use.

The Benz and M3 have a far better chance of escaping snide remarks made by the general public that don't get the 4.0 Porsche with all it's stripes, wings and contrasting red seat belts.

In so far as 991 vs 997 design goes. As i've already pointed out in brail, regardless of which iteration an individual may select as being the more attractive, essentially the 991 stands cleary out as the later and more contemporary design out of the two. If anyone wants to say the 997 looks more up to date than 991, then good luck with that. You're on your own ok.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:43 PM
SSST
Drifting

I'm okay with wings as long as they are functional and serve a purpose. It could be legitimately argued that the GT3 wing is part of the reason it is stickier on the track.

I very much like the look of the 997GT3. I could do without the graphics. The wing is integrated nicely and that gives it a little edge over the wing on the C63 Black which does look a little like an afterthought. It's still a great looking car though.

I was parked next to a Gallardo Superlegerra this past week, and its wing looked a little after market as well. I hope that's not a new trend.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:54 PM
speed21
Banned

I just don't think Porsche has done enough to distinguish the GT3 from the C2/4 whatever. A big wing/bumper and bright colors/stickers is all we get. How about some real RSR style fender flares and more extreme design like the factory wide body kits from the older 911's. That would be a more fair comparison for the 911.
Agree. Porsche needs to try harder next time. Wings and stickers bolted on to a C4S 911 body doesn't cut it. GT3 only gets a C2 body which is even worse.

I see the BMW 1M and M3 has a genuinely different body than the conventional model ie integrated flared gaurds and so on without the need to look like a Cup car. At least some small effort has gone toward distinguishing the additional performance associated to these cars without resorting to "tack on city" to capture attention for those not in the know. And the stripes are a bit old too imho.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:56 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

My response was making light out of your statement that I interpreted to say that people who don't like Porsches would agree that it is not good looking.

The "bias-glasses" can probably be said for those who favor the C63, or the M3, yet it will not lead to any conclusions on which looks better.

I don't own an M3 or a C63, so if that qualifies me to make an "unbiased" view on the subjective topic of looks, then it is that the M3 looks better than the C63.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:02 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

I share the concerns above that the latest crop of wings, across manufacturers, seem to tend to afterthought look. One of the nicest recent ones, in my Porsche-biased view , is the Cayman R. Functional, subtle, a bit old-school, yet quite delicious.

I am not overly impressed by the 991 ducktail or the aero-kit ducktail+second level. Speedart wing looks promising, but I would like to see more real-world pics.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:27 PM
sapman
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 10 GT3
Bottom line is Chris Harris owns 1 of the cars in the video. Do you think he is going to change it out anytime soon because the 991 looks fresher? Not a chance. While it may look more modern and ride better, it still doesn't match the driving experience of a 997 GT3. Maybe that will change with the 991 GT3 makes and appearance, but until then this is the honest truth.
I don't think anyone thinks Harris will run out and trade his 4.0. The observation was just a general one, that, in my view, the 997 has started its transition to classic 911 rather than looking like the current one.

And a classic it will be, the 997. One of the better looking iterations in my opinion. In particular the GT3. And then even more so the 4.0.
Afraid you are both wrong. Harris got rid of his 4.0 already.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:37 PM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by sapman
Afraid you are both wrong. Harris got rid of his 4.0 already.
Then i imagine it's because he's seen the writing is on the wall with the 991 platform unfolding. ie get out while the going$ good.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:48 AM
AGO
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Can't really compare a sport sedan to a sport car. Each has it's own appeal. I like the aggressiveness of the mb, but would choose the BMW as fas as sedans is concerned. Of course I rather have the 4.0 for driving pleasure (sans decals much better!)
997 looks dated now. Turbos and gt cars keep thir uniqueness to me and still do great in comparision, not any longer the c2 IMO ...
Old 05-21-2012, 10:48 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Maybe so, I own a 996 Turbo and don't like Mercedes. Just calling it like I see it. Sorry if your feelings are hurt.
Zinger!

Quick Reply: It's starting to happen -- the 997 looking old(er)