Sponsored by:

Recall 991 mess!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 04:57 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Since Rennlist and other forum sites are a magnet for dissatisfied car owners, I think it's good that we're not buried in threads of complaints about all manner of defects and flaws. Maybe that's a little to "glass half full for me" but in general, I think the car is demonstrating high quality and satisfication.
^^^This!

It seems for every issue -- and there have not been many -- there's a ratio of 10 to 1 (or more) of post with the predictable lecturing of not buying first year.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:47 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 161 Posts

Mine had the issue they fixed it. Big deal.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:48 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by fbroen
It seems for every issue -- and there have not been many -- there's a ratio of 10 to 1 (or more) of post with the predictable lecturing of not buying first year.
That is because a lot of us learned the hard way. For me, it was a summer 2004 build 997. Unlike SharpMan, I never got past the annoying problem stage after 3.5 years - and there was NO chance I would keep it out of warranty - so it is long gone. Almost all of the problems were experienced by others on this website, and seemed to be limited to the early production years.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:15 PM
kernelofwisdom
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At just over 2G miles on mine, no complaints other than the buffeting with windows down at speed. Probably should have gotten a manual, because I miss that a lot, but that's not the car's fault.
Old 05-19-2012, 04:19 AM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some of you have asked about which loaner I got. Initially I did not get one, expecting only a 24 hr stay at dealer and I had an alternative vehicle to drive. But this Sat morning they have given me a 2012 panamera s hybrid with 11,000 kms on it, which makes me think they expect it will take a few more days to sort out the mess. They are in consultation with Germany which will only open Monday now.

I am all for not getting a first year model, even prior to this experience, it's just that I was in a market for a new car and this new model came out so I thought I would take a chance with a superior brand like porsche. Normally it is wise to wait till the second or third year at least, unless you don't mind taking it in for fixes.

Fyi, I didn't experience a problem with my 991, just took it in for recall after receiving a few calls from dealer to bring it in. Now I think their diagnostics are finding some defect in the steering system and they don't know what to do, they are in touch with Germany.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:58 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The first release cars always have issues.....but someones got to buy them. I was one of the first in on the 997S...similar deal. End of the day the car's still a great car and Porsche takes care of you anyway. Can be a PITA but hell....whats a man do when he knows that time has come for a change? If everybody held back and no one bought, then what? All you waiters should be sending these guys a thank you card.....no point making em feel bad. Its bad enough as it is spending half your ownership in loaners. I guess if the car was a dog to drive then that would be a different story....but thats far from the case.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:25 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by speed21
All you waiters should be sending these guys a thank you card.....no point making em feel bad. Its bad enough as it is spending half your ownership in loaners. I guess if the car was a dog to drive then that would be a different story....but thats far from the case.
Lol. I will be waiting for my thank you cards, then.

Seriously though, time was right for a change for me, and my last several cars have been first years with no issues. So is it generally wise to wait, probably. Will I enjoy my car between now and whenever the "safe" iteration will be out, yes.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:29 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

I should also add, that mine was a post-fuel line recall build, so my "patience" paid off...

Aamersa, I hope your issues get resolved quickly next week.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:29 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 667 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by speed21
The first release cars always have issues.....but someones got to buy them. I was one of the first in on the 997S...similar deal. End of the day the car's still a great car and Porsche takes care of you anyway. Can be a PITA but hell....whats a man do when he knows that time has come for a change? If everybody held back and no one bought, then what? All you waiters should be sending these guys a thank you card.....no point making em feel bad. Its bad enough as it is spending half your ownership in loaners. I guess if the car was a dog to drive then that would be a different story....but thats far from the case.
Like fbroen, I have give this a big fat LOL.
Old 05-20-2012, 03:10 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Today I found out that they have ordered a new steering control unit. The replacement part will arrive by DHL in 4-5 days. It's funny I thought the steering was perfectly ok, but now they say it is failing to respond in many ways. It's like you go in for a prostate fix and they admit you for a cardiac problem. So looks like my car's stay in service may exceed 10 days by the time it returns, that too if all goes well.
I guess it's the price of admission for owning an early first year model.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:08 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Id demand a new car!
Old 05-22-2012, 02:57 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Not looking good time wise. They are expecting the part Thursday evening, and with another intervening weekend they won't work on it before Sunday so if all goes well my car will have been in for two weeks before I get it back. Meanwhile I have been asking them to change my replacement car to a 911, but so far those cars have been out with other customers.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:19 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like it's time to google "lemon law" ... I'd say you're well past the maximum number of days off road.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:38 PM
sand8
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aamersa
Not looking good time wise. They are expecting the part Thursday evening, and with another intervening weekend they won't work on it before Sunday so if all goes well my car will have been in for two weeks before I get it back. Meanwhile I have been asking them to change my replacement car to a 911, but so far those cars have been out with other customers.
It is possible that nothing wrong with the steering. Only when the dealer tried to update the software (it is electric assisted steering), it did not respond to the update and turn into brick. On the plus side, the update may improve the steering feel or whatever bugs that they need to fix.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:52 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sand8
It is possible that nothing wrong with the steering. Only when the dealer tried to update the software (it is electric assisted steering), it did not respond to the update and turn into brick. On the plus side, the update may improve the steering feel or whatever bugs that they need to fix.
That is likely what happened. But what about the two weeks in the shop, part of life when you have a first year model?

I don't think they have a lemon law per se here in Dubai, but I can take legal action. But unless this situation gets worse, life is too short to make it worthwhile litigating this.

Does any one know how I can contact porsche about this for Dubai region? I haven't been able to find the info online.

Quick Reply: Recall 991 mess!