Sponsored by:

Hesitation down low....

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 07:57 PM
CayS
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
Porsche surely needs to address this as the vehicle again feels lethargic down low even compared to the outgoing model.
Did you address the issue at your dealership? I've noticed this low-end sluggishness (even in Sport mode) and mentioned it to my dealer right after test-driving one of their 991S PDK demo vehicles. To my surprise, they hesitantly acknowledged it.
Not sure if this is just bad ECU programming or whether it's all about fuel consumption / lowering the carbon footprint to <200g CO2/km. I find this kind of throttle reponse unacceptable from a sports car and, in order to invoke corrective action by Porsche Stuttgart, the problem needs to be brought to the attention of Porsche USA either directly or through the dealerships.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:19 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

i'll mention it tomorrow to them, i should have made note of it in my purchase evaluation thing they sent me
Old 05-14-2012, 08:41 PM
ScorpionT
Instructor

I think its done intentionally. Many other DBW are programmed the same, but Porsche is one of the few to offer various driving modes. The reason it would be done is for owners who want a relaxed throttle response, rather than one that is very sharp and immediate.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:09 PM
CayS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ScorpionT
...The reason it would be done is for owners who want a relaxed throttle response, rather than one that is very sharp and immediate.
I could possibly understand such reasoning in Normal mode. But why would it still be noticeable in Sport mode?
Old 05-14-2012, 09:16 PM
mehoff
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
Do you know if the hesitation is present in the 7 sp. manual, or does it seem to be related to the PDK. Your description sounds like the hesitation is engine related, not transmission related.
Nope. That was one of my biggest hesitations in buying the car; I hated the PDK (in particular the lag) during the test drives. I took a chance and ordered the manual, which is great
Old 05-15-2012, 01:01 AM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

FWIW, 997.1 starts from 2nd.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:09 AM
hlee1169
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use sports mode most of the time on my 991S with PDK, and I have not noticed this hesitation. Do you mean you were feathering the gas pedal?
Old 05-15-2012, 11:21 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would guess an enterprising tuner will offer a solution soon if it is just programming.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:51 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by hlee1169
I use sports mode most of the time on my 991S with PDK, and I have not noticed this hesitation. Do you mean you were feathering the gas pedal?
get in vehicle. warm engine, go to stop sign, kick pedal to floor 100% instantly... and wait for the delay and hesitation..

repeat in each mode.

it feels like the car is losing traction, but it's just a delay for the car to put power to ground.

now roll at 10mph in 1st in manual mode... put pedal to floor in sharp swift motion... (kickdown)... no delay.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:42 AM
hlee1169
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rijowysock
get in vehicle. warm engine, go to stop sign, kick pedal to floor 100% instantly... and wait for the delay and hesitation..

repeat in each mode.

it feels like the car is losing traction, but it's just a delay for the car to put power to ground.

now roll at 10mph in 1st in manual mode... put pedal to floor in sharp swift motion... (kickdown)... no delay.
Ah...I'll wait until I finish break-in to try.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:35 AM
Roman Dudinov
Advanced

Have you tried launch-control? Is there delay as well?
Old 05-16-2012, 03:54 AM
Roman Dudinov
Advanced

maybe it is trying to save PDK from unnessesary overloads. btw, why don't you try to clock 0-60 time. in case it matches official figure, there is nothing wrong it is just a setup.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:44 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

This thread is a can of worms.
Perhaps someone can define a reproducible event.
I knew I'd be driving about 100 miles of familiar mountain roads today with numerous stops and four-way stop intersections and with this question of "hesitation" in mind, I was paying close attention to the car especially in 1st and 2nd, from a standstill and so on.
While I could document numerous problems, I could not find fault in terms of "oomph" below 20 or 30 mph.
It's not a 3.8 RS in 2nd gear by any means, but the 991S is brutal and deliberate at any point below 70 mph.
Above 60, to say 110 mph, especially from 90 upwards, the cabin noise is deafening with the windows down, other than that, it's a lot of fun. As ever, insert 1000 words of criticism of the electric steering -- it's dick-less.
The useless, neutered, castrated eunuch that put the electric steering in the 991 deserves to push a Prius around the Nordschleife every day for eternity, listening to Barry Manilow sing cruise ship medleys over and over.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:40 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I knew I'd be driving about 100 miles of familiar mountain roads today with numerous stops and four-way stop intersections and with this question of "hesitation" in mind, I was paying close attention to the car especially in 1st and 2nd, from a standstill and so on.
While I could document numerous problems, I could not find fault in terms of "oomph" below 20 or 30 mph.
It's not a 3.8 RS in 2nd gear by any means, but the 991S is brutal and deliberate at any point below 70 mph.
Above 60, to say 110 mph, especially from 90 upwards, the cabin noise is deafening with the windows down, other than that, it's a lot of fun. As ever, insert 1000 words of criticism of the electric steering -- it's dick-less.
The useless, neutered, castrated eunuch that put the electric steering in the 991 deserves to push a Prius around the Nordschleife every day for eternity, listening to Barry Manilow sing cruise ship medleys over and over.
I'm getting the impression that you are not fond of the electric steering.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:52 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
what i've noticed is it's ONLY from a standstill.. if your in manual mode and rolling in 1st, it's very responsive.. from a standstill the experience is much different..

as far as wind noise, and road noise, the car is loud, louder than 997.2 and i canot drive windows down because immense buffeting..

Quick Reply: Hesitation down low....