Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really enjoyed this thread
Old 05-10-2013, 07:32 PM
tangram
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fbroen
Day five. Part two. Rhine Valley, Factory Drop-Off.

We leave Nürburg and set out for Bonn. The Nav says there is bad traffic and reroutes us through some totally awesome twisty, hilly, forest back roads.

We arrive at Castle number one (well, two really, Nürburg being the first) at Bad-Godesberg. We then do the classic Rhine valley/castle spotting drive. Cliché, perhaps, but we do have tourist tags on the car and it is a pretty drive.

Here is a stop at St. Goar, across from Lorelei.

I think we counted 37 castles before we reached our attention span limits, and escaped for the closest Autobahn.

We made relatively quick business of the trip back down to Zuffenhausen/Stuttgart. We passed by Hokenheimring at Baden-Württemberg. The car now had a fair amount of miles on it, so with the excuse of varying RPMs for break-in, I can say with some confidence that the car is very well balanced at higher speeds. The PASM Sport -suspension, -lip, and -additional rear spoiler extension probably don't hurt either.

We arrive at Zuffenhausen at rush hour, but luckily it is not far from E41 to the Factory Main Gate at Porschestraße. We had consumed an impressive amount of gas at speed, and find it prudent to stop for one last splash before returning the car. The drop-off couldn't be easier, basically park at customer parking inside the gate and provide a key to the gate folks, who are there 24/7.

We said Auf Wiedersehen to the car (fear not, those specs on the nose are bugs, not scratches).

And took at cab back into Stuttgart for a night on the town.

So in all, our trip was not that long, but we had a great time. For those that have done European Delivery more than once, I can see why. If you haven't done European Delivery, and are considering it -- absolutely go for it.

Thank you all for you nice comments in this thread. Super stoked on the car, the color, the build.

Distance covered this day (Nurburgring excluded) 380 km / 236 miles.

Total distance covered in the 4 days with the car 2155 km / 1339 miles. And those were some fun- break-in miles, too.
Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I will be picking my Cayman S up in Zuffenhausen in mid-July and we will be around for a week. Not nearly as many miles planned - sticking to the Bavarian Alps with day trips into Austria - but I am really looking forward to the trip with my wife, sans kids (sorry guys, would have loved to take you but alas, the car only has two seats...). 50th birthday present to myself, couldn't be more excited!
Old 06-15-2013, 03:11 AM
zorba1331
Instructor

Great thread and great pics! I am picking up my Cayenne in Leipzig on July 8th and am starting to get super excited for the car and the trip. It was good to know that the European GPS works well.

We plan to go to Krakow, Prague, Salzburg, Munich...wherever else we end up. If anyone has any tips/pointers I would love to hear them.

I am thinking about doing a blog of my experience and if I do, I will post the link.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:54 AM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I picked up my 1995 993 (OBD I) in Zuffenhausen on July 6, 1994. For the two days thereafter, my face hurt from my constant smiling. Unfortunately, I collected my 991 at the dealership without ED.

Fbroen-

Just one issue you alluded to. As you now know by this time, the PCM posts speed limits when using NAV in this country even when you operate it in dual function.

Others-

For those, like me, who could not endure the wait for delivery to the dealer, I arranged to pick up the 993 at the port which was Charleston, SC in those days. I flew up at 08:00 h, they picked me up in the official factory-designated Porsche Port Vehicle (an old Chevy pick-up) and drove me to the storage site (next door to the airport) which looked like a Porsche Candy Store. I arrived home at 16:00 h that same day. That port pick-up saved me the delivery charge ($750 in 1994) and two weeks of suffering the agony of anticipation. The plane fare was $110.00
Old 07-06-2014, 12:00 PM
UAE_911
Intermediate

Hi, great post. I just ordered almost exactly the same (same interior/exterior colour, same wheels, model designation delete, etc, etc) and I'm now waiting for delivery in Oct/Nov. Nice to see so many pictures of what the car will look like in real life.

Quick Reply: Euro Delivery, Some Pics and Random Thoughts