Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Euro Delivery, Some Pics and Random Thoughts

Old 05-04-2012, 12:05 AM
TSpyder
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I had to get an Austrian 'Autobahn' windshield sticker when I took ED of my M3 in 2001. Left it on there for the four years I had it - was a very cool little reminder of the trip every time I got into the car
+1. We had stickers from Austria, and several eastern Euro countries on the 535 before we returned it to the factory. I had to make sure the vehicle prep center in Calif didn't remove them before redelivery. I loved those stickers! BTW, I also managed to keep the Euro plates from my two ED's. They now adorn my garage

Spyder
Old 05-04-2012, 12:39 AM
docfink
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I enjoy your write-up and pics. Love the GT Silver on the 991. Congrats!
Old 05-04-2012, 12:39 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 48 Posts

I just got back myself form Euro delivery and the only countries that require a sticker are Austria and Switzerland. On a side note get the European navigation option at $250. It has a function of knowing what the speed limits are and posts them as you are driving which is very helpful. At times I was traveling and the speed limits were not easy to see (France) and Europe has become infested with Speed cameras. I've tried to post pics but the site for some reason won't let me. Also, the Aerokit cup is very striking in person and much better than in pictures. After 4000km I also regretted not getting the Sport plus seats which I think are more comfortable. On the Nurburgring I really didn't feel a difference as the standard seats provide great support.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:35 PM
SM_ATL
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to find you on RL! I just joined and am happy I did or I would have missed this fantastic thread. Congrats on the car -and your patience- .

I am looking forward to future posts
Old 05-04-2012, 08:30 PM
nicoff
Racer

Originally Posted by race7117
I just got back myself form Euro delivery and the only countries that require a sticker are Austria and Switzerland. On a side note get the European navigation option at $250. It has a function of knowing what the speed limits are and posts them as you are driving which is very helpful. At times I was traveling and the speed limits were not easy to see (France) and Europe has become infested with Speed cameras.
Alternatively, if you have a Garmin GPS or similar device, for less than US $100 you can buy a card with the entire map for Europe that you can insert into your GPS and use while in Europe. Or, instead of buying the European navigation option, you may be able to buy a new GPS AND a card with maps of Europe for less than $250 and then keep the GPS unit for use in the usa.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:00 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 124 Posts

Glad you guys enjoy the thread. I am having a lot of fun putting it all together.

SML_ATL -- good to see you over here, too. I wasn't sure I was going to do this thread, or that it would be of any interest to anyone -- but a certain Journal of yours, albeit with a different focus, is such an enjoyable read that i decided to launch into it.

Re the Nav -- yes the speed limits in the dash are pretty cool. Does it do this in the U.S., too?

Re the Garmin -- anything with suction cups, or heaven forbid cigarette lighter powered things, are strictly Verboten in any of my vehicles. Of course, it helped that our dealer threw in the Euro Nav as a pre-trip present...

iPhone maps are great, IMO, but boy do they eat data, so if not unlimited when abroad, that gets expensive fast. Speaking of iPhones -- a screen of that quality would be nice in the PCM -- and certainly pinch and swipe functionality a-la Apple. Pressing "+" or "-" icons to zoom, or arrows to pan, seems a bit old school these days. But I digress...

Last edited by fbroen; 05-04-2012 at 10:21 PM.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:11 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Day four. Part two, France.

We leave Luzern and continue north on what can only be described as excellent Swiss roads. We make good use of the cruise control to avoid getting one of the infamous Swiss speeding tickets.

At a leg-stretch/provisions stop somewhere south of Basel, an older gentleman comes up to us with a big grin on his face.

"Is this the new one?" he asks in German.

Not waiting for the answer he goes on "it looks fantastic, I think it is the first one in Switzerland."

Having read the Asphalte road test article back around December, I know that wasn't the case, by why spoil the enthusiasm?

We chat for a bit and explain that we will be bringing it back with us to the United States.

After circling the car a few more times with a look of approval, he bids us farewell with an emphatic "enjoy your vacation!"

We cross over the Rhine, then tunnel under it, and enter France at the corner of Switzerland and Germany. We drive north in a sea of Peugots, Renaults and Citroens. Next stop is the small town of Marckolsheim. Unbeknownst to my co-driver, there is a reason for this detour other than the quaint little town.

Marckolsheim has a preserved Maginot Line fortification, of great interest to at least one of the two occupants in the car. In addition to the casemate, there is also a collection of U.S. military equipment, including a Sherman tank and sections of a "Bailey" Bridge that the U.S. Army tossed across the Rhine in 1945. The bridge was used exclusively for military traffic until 1961, and then the "temporary" bridge remained in public service until 1986(!).

We take roads lined with vineyards in the direction of a castle we happened to spot. Haut Koenigsbourg is situated on an 800 meter high hill overlooking the Alcase plain. Wiki told us that the strategic location was used by successive powers from the Middle Ages until the Thirty Years' War, when it was abandoned. In 1900 it was restored under the direction of Emperor Wilhelm II. The road up was very twisty and great fun.

And the castle didn't disappoint either.

Next up was a late afternoon sun drive through Alsace wine country. And study of France's passion for building roundabouts.

At sundown, we reach the German border at Saarbrucken. Clear skies change to clouds fresh off the Atlantic and heavy rains -- yet the rain seemed to have absolutely no effect on the average speed of the Autobahn cruisers with model designations beginning with an S-, a 7-, or an A-.

We exit the E44 at Ulmen, and reach Nurburg at around 10 pm -- only to get pulled over by Der Polizei. Not sure why, maybe our temporary tags, but since our papers check out, the officers bid us Gute Fahrt.

We parked next to a 458 and an XKR, and checked in to the hotel. We were excited to be back in Germany for some very good beers. Over the beers, we had good conversation with the bartender, and also took the opportunity to pick his brain a bit about tomorrow's big event -- Nordschleife. Turns out, he was one of the exact type of locals that our factory rep had joked with us about back in Zuffenhausen: "Don't beat yourself up if you get passed by a kid in a Golf. It doesen't matter what you drive, the local kids in their Golfs will go faster", he said with a wink. Turns out, our bartender did indeed own a race-prepped Golf....

Ground covered this day: 720 km / 447 miles.

Last edited by fbroen; 05-04-2012 at 11:00 PM.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:40 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

fbroen, I'm really enjoying your thread. Great pictures too. Looking forward to the report on your Ring experience. Having been already to several of the spots where you were, it's been a very pleasant "deja vu all over again"......
Old 05-05-2012, 01:10 AM
FAEDC3
Track Day

Congratulations on your new car fbroen... And thanks for taking us along on your trip! This is a great thread... Since a couple nights ago I look forward to your updates, keep them coming!
Old 05-05-2012, 08:03 AM
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Great thread! Like reading your posts fbroen; especially as I am at home here in the middle of Europe (Munich) and do know all the places you visited.

Looking forward to your Nuerburgring experience :-)

Viele Grüße aus Deutschland!
Old 05-05-2012, 10:53 PM
TSpyder
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by nicoff
Alternatively, if you have a Garmin GPS or similar device, for less than US $100 you can buy a card with the entire map for Europe that you can insert into your GPS and use while in Europe..
My Garmin 1300 series came with Euro maps included for about $200. Last year I used it for a trip to Norway. All fixed radar/camera spots were on the map with a warning as they were approached. Very cool!. Hope that feature also applies to the countries I'll be visiting next month after picking up my 991 in Zuffenhaisen.

Spyder
Old 05-07-2012, 03:32 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Day five. Part one. Nürburgring.

Rains have moved on, but road surfaces are are still damp in spots. 42 degrees and menacing looking clouds.

After a great breakfast at the hotel, we head out for a short drive to warm up the car. We drive the roads around the F1 circuit, and by the Jaguar and BMW development centers. I am excited to be at this place with all its racing history since the 1920ies. And of course plenty before that -- the Castle, built in the high-middle ages:

Once oil temp is up, we head for the Nordschleife Start und Zielgerade. On our way there, we are followed by a full-on racing liveried Aston -- great confidence builder to have in the rear view mirror, ha!

We arrive at the parking lot. It is early Monday morning with questionable weather forecast, so few cars are around. My better half decides to sit out the first lap to at least snap a pic at the gate -- the author / track newbie with some good butterflies in the stomach:

The friendly track workers wave me in, I pull up to the gate.

I touch the the Ring Card to the reader, gate opens and I'm off towards Tiergarten. Even though I had seen it on TV, on the web, and read up on the track (thanks again to all you folks who replied in the Nurburgring for a Novice thread), I was still amazed by the elevation changes and the shear length of it all.

Not wanting to be "that guy" I made sure to check my mirrors frequently, but given the light traffic, I didn't get passed.

Three sections were speed limited down to 30 kph, one of which had a full team of workers replacing guard rail sections from some earlier unlucky -- or foolish, or both -- soul's off-track excursion. One of the crew members waves and smiles at me as I go by.

I am sure I drove the track all imperfectly, but I enjoyed every minute of it. And there were a few minutes....

I realize later that timing to the bridge is customary, not to track exit, on a tourist day like we did -- not that we were timing on a tourist day... But no matter, this was all about the experience. As a novice, I am under no illusion that I will set any records, or be all that fast for that matter.

My better half comes along for lap number two, and we shave a minute off the first. This time we also get to pass a car -- a track worker car, that is...

So, all of this may have been routine to many of you and this is probably one of the tamest Nurburgring stories ever told. But I can assure you it was very exciting to me and I am delighted to have gotten to experience it all. Only problem is, now I want to go back for more...

Last edited by fbroen; 05-07-2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:36 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a perfectly optioned car; looks stunning! Congrats!
Old 05-07-2012, 07:28 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Originally Posted by fbroen
Day five. Part one. Nürburgring.

Rains have moved on, but road surfaces are are still damp in spots. 42 degrees and menacing looking clouds.

After a great breakfast at the hotel, we head out for a short drive to warm up the car. We drive the roads around the F1 circuit, and by the Jaguar and BMW development centers. I am excited to be at this place with all its racing history since the 1920ies. And of course plenty before that -- the Castle, built in the high-middle ages:

Once oil temp is up, we head for the Nordschleife Start und Zielgerade. On our way there, we are followed by a full-on racing liveried Aston -- great confidence builder to have in the rear view mirror, ha!

We arrive at the parking lot. It is early Monday morning with questionable weather forecast, so few cars are around. My better half decides to sit out the first lap to at least snap a pic at the gate -- the author / track newbie with some good butterflies in the stomach:

The friendly track workers wave me in, I pull up to the gate.

I touch the the Ring Card to the reader, gate opens and I'm off towards Tiergarten. Even though I had seen it on TV, on the web, and read up on the track (thanks again to all you folks who replied in the Nurburgring for a Novice thread), I was still amazed by the elevation changes and the shear length of it all.

Not wanting to be "that guy" I made sure to check my mirrors frequently, but given the light traffic, I didn't get passed.

Three sections were speed limited down to 30 kph, one of which had a full team of workers replacing guard rail sections from some earlier unlucky -- or foolish, or both -- soul's off-track excursion. One of the crew members waves and smiles at me as I go by.

I am sure I drove the track all imperfectly, but I enjoyed every minute of it. And there were a few minutes....

I realize later that timing to the bridge is customary, not to track exit, on a tourist day like we did -- not that we were timing on a tourist day... But no matter, this was all about the experience. As a novice, I am under no illusion that I will set any records, or be all that fast for that matter.

My better half comes along for lap number two, and we shave a minute off the first. This time we also get to pass a car -- a track worker car, that is...

So, all of this may have been routine to many of you and this is probably one of the tamest Nurburgring stories ever told. But I can assure you it was very exciting to me and I am delighted to have gotten to experience it all. Only problem is, now I want to go back for more...

As Mr Jeremy Clarkson said when he took the Jag Diesel around .. "I now have ring worm" ...
Old 05-08-2012, 12:47 AM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Day five. Part two. Rhine Valley, Factory Drop-Off.

We leave Nürburg and set out for Bonn. The Nav says there is bad traffic and reroutes us through some totally awesome twisty, hilly, forest back roads.

We arrive at Castle number one (well, two really, Nürburg being the first) at Bad-Godesberg. We then do the classic Rhine valley/castle spotting drive. Cliché, perhaps, but we do have tourist tags on the car and it is a pretty drive.

Here is a stop at St. Goar, across from Lorelei.

I think we counted 37 castles before we reached our attention span limits, and escaped for the closest Autobahn.

We made relatively quick business of the trip back down to Zuffenhausen/Stuttgart. We passed by Hokenheimring at Baden-Württemberg. The car now had a fair amount of miles on it, so with the excuse of varying RPMs for break-in, I can say with some confidence that the car is very well balanced at higher speeds. The PASM Sport -suspension, -lip, and -additional rear spoiler extension probably don't hurt either.

We arrive at Zuffenhausen at rush hour, but luckily it is not far from E41 to the Factory Main Gate at Porschestraße. We had consumed an impressive amount of gas at speed, and find it prudent to stop for one last splash before returning the car. The drop-off couldn't be easier, basically park at customer parking inside the gate and provide a key to the gate folks, who are there 24/7.

We said Auf Wiedersehen to the car (fear not, those specs on the nose are bugs, not scratches).

And took at cab back into Stuttgart for a night on the town.

So in all, our trip was not that long, but we had a great time. For those that have done European Delivery more than once, I can see why. If you haven't done European Delivery, and are considering it -- absolutely go for it.

Thank you all for you nice comments in this thread. Super stoked on the car, the color, the build.

Distance covered this day (Nurburgring excluded) 380 km / 236 miles.

Total distance covered in the 4 days with the car 2155 km / 1339 miles. And those were some fun- break-in miles, too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Euro Delivery, Some Pics and Random Thoughts