Sponsored by:

Carrera vs Carrera S

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 01:21 PM
nicoff
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cmb13
So the S adds red calipers, PASM, the 50 hp....anything else?
The S also comes with 20 inch wheels standard which would be about a $1,500 option on the base model, making the difference between the S model and the base model more like $13k. So for $13k you get the extra 50 hp, red calipers and PASM.

Similarly optioned S and base models will always be about $13k apart. Whichever option you decide to be "must have option" cost the same for both models so you will always be talking about that $13k spread. For $13k less, the base model will deliver what most owners/drivers will ever need making the base model the best value. BTW, with regards to options, keep in mind that they mean little at resale.

Last edited by nicoff; 04-28-2012 at 01:32 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-28-2012, 02:16 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If considering a base with 3.4l engine you might also want to consider the boxster s or cayman s (when it comes out) and you could end up saving a lot of money plus get a mid-engined sports car.
A few reviews have said that the power difference between base and S is noticeable, whether that is worth the extra $$$ is really a personal decision.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:41 PM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Selo
There's somehting to be said for simpler. I've found that when I purchase somehting that is supposed to me my "dream" object, it's idealized so much that it leaves itself open to disappointment. OTOH, some of the the things I've loved the most are base model types of things, where my expectations are lower. On a cost per unit of enjoyment basis, I'd bet the base is a better deal than an S.
Interesting point of view.
This is my first 911 and my grail car for years. Even though I really like my base, there are few things that didnt meet my expectations, guess I idealized it sooo much as you said.
Now that I have the car and tested both base and S back to back, I wouldnt have spent more money in the S, not because it isnt a better car, simply not worth the extra $$$ in my particular case.
I know i will not keep this car for long, so depreciation will be less than if I opted for a loaded S.
But hey, this is only one non erudite Porsche enthusiast opinion.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:44 PM
skinzy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agonized over the same question finally deciding on the "S" Cab.. For me the decision came down to the notion that spending over 100K on a car why skimp on the last 10%? I plan on owning this car at least 10+ years (If I live that long). Plus the point about the Boxster S is good. The difference between the 911 and Boxster in terms of performance is minimum so your paying over 30K for a nonfunctioning back seat! With the S you get bigger wheels, 50hp, better breaks, PASM, and PTV. In the end it was a no-brainer for me.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:35 PM
AGO
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Very personal decision. I know I would be regretting not going for the S...
Old 05-03-2012, 10:58 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 462 Likes on 206 Posts

Ordered the base model. May build, June delivery. It was my impression that I was never going to use the extra 50 hp or the other goodies that are standard on the S. This is my first Porsche - an early 60th birthday present.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:06 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by rnl
Ordered the base model. May build, June delivery. It was my impression that I was never going to use the extra 50 hp or the other goodies that are standard on the S. This is my first Porsche - an early 60th birthday present.
Awesome! Congratulations. I'm sure you'll be pleased - especially as you were able to order it exactly the way you want it. The wait will be tough, though.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:33 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts

I just got back from European delivery of a base 991 with 7MT, I had previously had a loner S model for a 48 hour test drive. After being on the Autobahn and the Nurburgring I can honestly say I think you will be very happy. The base car is set up very well and the sport mode enhances the performance. Because you have the 7MT is does mean you have to work the gear box a little more and on the Nurburgring I certainly noticed the lack of 50 horsepower but only in that I had to work the engine in the higher rev range which I feel the S would have powered through. That being said on the autobahn I never.....never felt the need for more horsepower. Spirited driving in the country or 170mph on the Autobahn were accomplished easily and having the extra 50 horses I do not feel would have added to my experience. One interesting note, on occasion of higher speeds and off camber turns I did feel the need for more downforce on both the front and the rear. PASM gets you the downforce and here in the States I don't see myself running into many problems outside of the track. I spend 4000 kms in 10 days in the car over varied terrain and loved every minute of it. The standard seats are very, very good with ample support.......but I do feel that the Sport plus seats would have been a better choice for me. Again that was over an extensive period of driving which I enjoy doing. Having Driven from Philadelphia to San Fran in one sitting just for fun I am not like most people. In general the standard seats work very well. I like the 19 inch wheels but the lower stance of the S with PASM is very nice in the looks. I didn't want the electronic do dads and I think you will be very happy with the base its a great car and for the difference in price.....a bargain in my opinion.
The following users liked this post:
ICU991812 (03-11-2022)
Old 05-04-2012, 04:06 PM
cmb13
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Great write up race7117 - thanks
Old 05-04-2012, 08:01 PM
skinzy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like quite of few guys like me, 60+, getting their first Porsche. Toys in retirement! That saving thing is wonderful and you only go around once.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:55 PM
John S 211
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Skinzy --- not quite to 60 yet, but man, I am right there with you on the "only go around once" point....enjoy the ride!
Old 05-04-2012, 10:50 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 462 Likes on 206 Posts

Thanks...but the big 6 0 is a mere 22 months away and I could think of no better way to drive into my seventh decade except with a 911.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:37 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 440 Likes on 234 Posts

29 months to go for me. We've had 6 Porsches, but they've all been my wife's daily drivers. Now I'm getting my very own.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:43 AM
Zmoney3982
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I went with the S, 30th birthday present. Love the SSSSSS
Old 05-05-2012, 08:48 AM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 392 Likes on 214 Posts

I am of the opinion that you forget cost of most any luxury item within 3 months of delivery (houses,watches, clothes, CARS)...but that said if you have the means, the "S" will give you some beautiful and 'useable' trim options that - to my mind anyway - make up a pretty cool car. Don't forget that some of the delta in cost comes back to you when you sell the thing in four of five years.....and the "S" will be a more desireable used car when competing in the used market with other four or five year old 991's in the future. If you factor in any one of the options you get within the "S" package that appeal to you (50HP, suspension, other minor trim) and the better resale number, is the cost delta significant - is the "S" perhaps good value...? My .02

Quick Reply: Carrera vs Carrera S