Nürburgring for a novice?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 12:24 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,593 Likes on 2,339 Posts

Originally Posted by Monetthecat
I was debating ED for my order.... I think you've sold me
even if you dont go to the ring, ED is a blast, the factory tour and the museum are worth it alone, and of course there is the opportunity to tour parts of europe.

I've done ED 3 times, once with Porsche in 07 and twice with BMW (who offer a discount on ED cars) ... you usually get 14-16 days of free insurance (that can be extended up to six months)...

and of course, you get a chance to drive your car on the autobahn as well as the ring if you are so inclined!
Old 04-26-2012, 08:34 PM
Monetthecat
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I agree. I did ED with my Audi A7 last year and while I didn't introduce the car the Green Hell, its truly something all driving enthusiasts should do at some point in life
Old 04-26-2012, 11:17 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by fbroen
Getting close to pickup time for 991 at Zuffenhausen. I see that there are Nurburgring Tourist Ride times overlapping with our schedule. Would be curious to hear feedback whether driving a lap would be nutty for someone without track experience. I understand my limitations, but am wondering how the traffic around would be. In other words, how crazy does it get, or is it not that bad? Can one enjoy a lap at moderate pace without being a bother to others?
Agreed with Mike, DO IT... but definitely get some track help or do a couple of laps in a rental car.

If you want, I can send you the name of this place I rent cars from (Rent4Ring), I know a few ppl, and you could either maybe get someone to go with you, or rent one before taking your own car on the ring.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:34 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I dont think you should underestimate and/or discount the technical challenge of the circuit itself; most of the mayhem that occurs there, is (IMHO), not due to the challenge you describe, but is due to a lack of knowledge of the circuit itself and/or the skill level of the individual to drive a line at speed safely.

If you look at the majority of ring crash videos on youtube the vast majority of them are caused by single driver error. I agree that the volume and variety of traffic adds to the cognitive challenge of any driver, but its not the primary challenge for the beginner or intermediate driver.

YMMV
+1.. the track is sooooo long, it is VERY HARD to remember each turn and to know what's coming down the hill and how to best prepare yourself during elevation changes, key is knowing the track, and if you don't, just gotto be super careful you don't over-commit to something that may catch you on the wrong side!
Old 05-04-2012, 05:29 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts

Just got back from Euro Del and a weekend at the 'Ring and truly is a must.I had been there before, but not with a porsche and the experience has truly created an addict. I stayed at the Dorint hotel and my balcony was on the front straight of the grand prix course, amazing to hear 911 cup cars race outside your hotel room. One thing I found interesting is that my first night was after a VLN race which is the germans endurance series. We were allowed on to the conjoined North circuit and the grand prix circuit, A unique experience and one I thought was fantastic. However, I noticed a lot more younger drivers as this was directly after the race and there were more accidents. We only got 2 laps before they shut it down.The next day was a straight Tourist Drivers day with only the Nordshleife to run on. Lots of experienced drivers in the AM with guys who obviously knew the track well. Cooler temps in the AM limited speeds but still a great time with no dangers. Yes knowledge of the track is key but very easy to have fun at speed and be safe. In the afternoon things got more crowded and more inexperienced drivers. Still very safe compared to after the VLN race but keep checking your mirrors and stay to the right and fun will be had, safely. Also the BMW ring taxi didn't start up till later in the AM so crowds weren't bad. Caravans and buses weren't noticed until the PM. On a side note, I also went to a DTM race (actually a practice day) at Hockenheim and the cars are truly something to check out. Amazing sounds and crazy access in the pits and the porsche carrera cup is a support race with drivers literally almost hitting fans in the pits. If you get a chance to check out DTM you won't regret it.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:43 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 174 Posts

Good information here in this thread. Will be doing ED with BMW the first week of June. We are picking up the last of the 3 series Sport Wagons produced, so we won't be setting any lap time records, but we'll have fun anyways!

Just checked on the BMW ring taxi and it looks to be booked up for now. Bummer.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:15 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

i did 2 tourist days last year at this time and loved it. i had an instructor in a vw scirocco cup car which was a big help. more so, practicing on playstation really helps learn the course and i feel its a must before trying real thing. you will have an amazing time as long as stay well within your limits.
ps there was a wreck on every lap i did so respect is necessary

Quick Reply: Nürburgring for a novice?