Sponsored by:

Coasting/Sailing function & Auto On/Off

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 08:33 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Coasting/Sailing function & Auto On/Off

read today that the sailing/coasting function only kicks in when auto on/off is activated....

what are your thoughts on this? i understand someone wouldn't want the trans disengaging while coasting in sport mode but I find it odd you would need Auto on/off engaged because I was never a fan of that mode.... just annoying sometimes.

-Riley
Old 04-16-2012, 07:53 AM
MC444
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is true ,

My problem is in Auatralia they cant disable it as default setting so i have to disable it everytime i start the car .

In my Cayenne once you hit the switch it stays off .

I asked the dealer and at present they dont have a fix for it
Old 04-17-2012, 12:08 AM
Scott997
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I keep it off and it stays off. No big deal. Just a feature for fuel economy.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:23 AM
SSST
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Am I the only one who really misses the good old fashioned toggle switch?
The following users liked this post:
psiddle (07-09-2020)
Old 04-17-2012, 12:46 AM
Scott997
Former Vendor

Thank the NHTSA, the EPA, and Congress' CAFE regulations......
Old 04-17-2012, 01:36 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MC444
This is true ,

My problem is in Auatralia they cant disable it as default setting so i have to disable it everytime i start the car .

In my Cayenne once you hit the switch it stays off .

I asked the dealer and at present they dont have a fix for it
Shouldn't be a "fix" since it's just a matter of the PIWIS accessing that functionality already in the system when in other countries. Maybe it's blocked by other location settings in order to comply with whatever emissions laws.

First step might be to compare part numbers just for the switch itself. Maybe US switches are "permanently on" logic and Aus cars have switches with "momentary on" logic. But I'm guessing it's all in an ECU somewhere.

I'd suggest finding the electrical "go to" expert at the dealer and asking to have one of the blanks in the switches employed to parallel circuit a second switch:

If you want to DIY, you could visit a Tandy/Radio Shack/Dick Smith or whatever electronics hobbyist store still exists in Australia -- if you can find someone working in one of those stores with adequate knowledge, they'll be able to piece together a simple solid state electronics component or two that maintains it's state and will automatically switch on every time power is supplied to that control circuit. The owner's manual shows how to lift up that switch panel (for emergency access to flick the PDK to neutral for towing, I think.)

The question here, that really a dealer tech would be best able to answer, is whether that auto-stop circuit wants the user to click and release the button of if it's happy to find the button permanently closed. Either way, the cat can be skinned -- this will be the same as you clicking that button every time the engine starts with the key. Just get another of those "A-circle-off" buttons or a blank from spare parts at the Porsche then splice wires onto the new button, through the device to convert the "momentary on" switch function to a permanent-state switch, and then using the factory connectors for the original switch wires. Hopefully that makes sense. I'm sure a dealer tech specializing in electrics will understand and have no problem making it happen (other than perhaps political or liability issues in actually doing the work.)
Old 04-18-2012, 09:25 AM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts

Wow...
Coasting in neutral can also be forced by "shifting" up while in 7th gear.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:03 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by WCE
Wow...
Coasting in neutral can also be forced by "shifting" up while in 7th gear.
"Requested" more than forced. If you have an errant toe on the throttle (as one always should have a toe referencing the throttle's position in the pedal box in order to be ready to reach either pedal by memory) the request will be denied. But assuming you're not so club-footed as to be incapable of resting your toe without moving the throttle off its rest, then an upshift will instantly turn a trailing throttle into a coast and pressing the gear shift again, up or down, will re-engage the clutch and match rpm. Depending upon the shift program selected. If you're in "normal" mode, downshifts results in a brief period of disengagement of both clutches (somewhat unlike the 997.2) and this can result in acceleration of the "not decelerating" kind. It all takes a bit of getting used to. Still there's absolutely no way to decelerate from a steady speed to a dead stop without lurching and lunging. I find this astonishingly second rate work from Porsche on their PDK fine-tuning. The only way to drive the car as if you're not pretty clumsy with a manual transmission is to invariable go to neutral with the shifter (since the steering wheel controls omit the Ferrari-esque access to neutral -- another woeful blunder for Porsche to ignore this necessary control over a road car.)
Old 04-18-2012, 04:19 PM
jjoey
Intermediate

I would like to have coasting/sailing turned on, and auto on/off forever turned off. I wish they had not bundled those features.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:26 PM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts

Since they are the two most annoying features, I find it handy to be able to permanently cancel both with a one time button press! This coasting in neutral feature reminds me of old non-lockup torque converters that allowed the motor to nearly idle when you lift and then it has to rev back up to speed when you get on the power again - feels sloppy.
Correcting my post above, BOTH paddles need to be pulled from 7th gear to manually initiate coasting regardless of the button state. So that feature is still available to those who want to use it - perhaps to coast smoothly to a stop?
Old 04-19-2012, 07:21 AM
19_hole
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Auto On/Off turned off and that setting is saved to the key. From the first time I turned it OFF, it has stayed OFF.
The following users liked this post:
psiddle (07-09-2020)
Old 04-19-2012, 11:39 AM
Scott997
Former Vendor

Yes it stays off. Also I have my Valentine 1 wired to the rear wiper fuse. and if I have the auto off turned on, my radar cuts out!!!!
Old 04-20-2012, 05:36 AM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to hit the deactivate button every time I start the car. The previous setting is not saved. And since both the fuel saving features are bundled I never get to use sailing either. The auto-start-stop feature is very ridiculous, has no place in a 911, I just don't like it at all.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:20 AM
MC444
4th Gear

I already asked the tech guy at the dealer and he initially said he can change it to always off but when i picked up the car he sais he was unable.

Im guessing the next step is to get him to get some info from the USA and see what is different there and try to get it sorted.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:07 AM
jcf7
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I always drive with sport on. Having the engine shut off reminds me of a Japan taxi. I'm also finding myself driving with the sport suspension on. I rarely used this setting on the 997, but on the 991 it feels right...better.

Quick Reply: Coasting/Sailing function & Auto On/Off