Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Price Negotiations

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 11:43 PM
ManhattanSpin
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK. I am going to go back to them with the money factor at .002 and I would like to double check those residuals. Going to try and try and get it to at least 8% off MSRP too!

If anyone knows what 2 year and 3 year residuals are for 7.5k miles in the 991S...please let me know!
Old 04-09-2012, 12:11 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

44% 51% 58%
5 4 3 year terms
10 K miles
That's the only numbers I have handy.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:31 PM
ManhattanSpin
Intermediate

Thank you! I imagine that 7.5k miles is one or two more residual points and 2 years is at least 2 more.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:48 AM
Palden
AutoX

ManhattanSpin, did you end of leasing a 991 and if so what kind of numbers did you get for your lease? I recently have been quoted a 59% residual and 0.0024 money factor for a 2012 991 CS for a 36 month, 10k/yr lease.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:57 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by packwest
Being from the Pacific northwest, we don't have many high-volume dealers around here. The closest one is Rusnak in Cali. Manhattan sounds like a high-volume dealer, but to have the car shipped to Oregon will cost around $3,000, which will eat away that nice 5% discount
^^This. If you don't live on the east coast, or in CA or TX, you may run into this problem. The NW is a perfect example. Any deal you find by shopping around the nation will suddenly disappear (or at least look far less appealing) after shipping is added.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:26 AM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 413 Likes on 179 Posts

got 6% off of sticker and paid cost for full leather interior.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:28 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sportscentury
^^This. If you don't live on the east coast, or in CA or TX, you may run into this problem. The NW is a perfect example. Any deal you find by shopping around the nation will suddenly disappear (or at least look far less appealing) after shipping is added.
Coast to coast enclosed freight should be $2K, not $3K.
Nearest discounting dealers that will beat Rusnak are in Bay Area.
You might also try Downtown LA.
If you order a new car, you can have it "courtesy" delivered at your local dealer either free or cheaper than freight (the vehicle is redirected at the port.)
Old 05-08-2012, 10:57 AM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I purchased an east coast truck and it was $1300 to have it shipped to central Oregon.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:24 AM
skinzy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This may seem like a dumb question but why would someone lease a Porsche. Is that not a significantly more expensive approach than buying?
Old 05-08-2012, 04:48 PM
FORENN
Banned

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Coast to coast enclosed freight should be $2K, not $3K.
Nearest discounting dealers that will beat Rusnak are in Bay Area.
You might also try Downtown LA.
If you order a new car, you can have it "courtesy" delivered at your local dealer either free or cheaper than freight (the vehicle is redirected at the port.)
I guess it depends on the type of transport, and perhaps I have not been looking in the right places. I almost bought a GTS and was going to ship it from KY to ID. My shipping options for enclosed, direct, insured transport ranged between 3k and 4k ... which, as you can imagine, made the deal seem a little less sweet.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:09 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 925 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by skinzy
This may seem like a dumb question but why would someone lease a Porsche. Is that not a significantly more expensive approach than buying?
I just worked the numbers as I usually prefer to buy, but my recent order will be around $5K less expensive to lease over three years. In California with sales tax at 8.25%, you only pay tax on 42% of the sales price. That's partially offset by the acquisition fee, but you still come out ahead. The big difference though is the loss of use of the money that will be trapped in a depreciating asset. That will also be offset if the dealer charges an above market money factor, but that can (and should) be negotiated. I haven't decided whether to buy or lease as my car won't be here for a few months, but the numbers make more sense for a lease.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:24 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sportscentury
I guess it depends on the type of transport, and perhaps I have not been looking in the right places. I almost bought a GTS and was going to ship it from KY to ID. My shipping options for enclosed, direct, insured transport ranged between 3k and 4k ... which, as you can imagine, made the deal seem a little less sweet.
If you have the flexibility, ordering with a coordinated, pre-condition agreed "courtesy" delivery will work. Otherwise, check prices at somewhere like my preferred dealer, Fletcher Jones, with a much shorter delivery distance.

For enclosed road freight, there are discount aggregators, I found one here on Rennlist, so if you search posts since Jan 2010, you'll find references to various sites that offer to bid for business, insured "white glove" ...

I'll also mention that you must be excruciatingly "caveat emptor" with purchasing from Porsche dealers these days. Cars are getting damaged and repaired, then PCNA calls it all good and a "new" car. Road freight transports aren't used to the low-slung, long wheelbase cars, so you must (must!) inspect the underbody for scrapes, etc. Be wary of any vehicle delayed at its US port of entry -- that's where damaged cars get "inspected" (ie. repaired.) If a car lingers at port, it might be nothing more than logistics and road freight, but it might be a damaged car being inspected. It's sickening, but there it is.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:34 PM
FORENN
Banned

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
If you have the flexibility, ordering with a coordinated, pre-condition agreed "courtesy" delivery will work. Otherwise, check prices at somewhere like my preferred dealer, Fletcher Jones, with a much shorter delivery distance.

For enclosed road freight, there are discount aggregators, I found one here on Rennlist, so if you search posts since Jan 2010, you'll find references to various sites that offer to bid for business, insured "white glove" ...

I'll also mention that you must be excruciatingly "caveat emptor" with purchasing from Porsche dealers these days. Cars are getting damaged and repaired, then PCNA calls it all good and a "new" car. Road freight transports aren't used to the low-slung, long wheelbase cars, so you must (must!) inspect the underbody for scrapes, etc. Be wary of any vehicle delayed at its US port of entry -- that's where damaged cars get "inspected" (ie. repaired.) If a car lingers at port, it might be nothing more than logistics and road freight, but it might be a damaged car being inspected. It's sickening, but there it is.
Wow, very helpful -- thank you.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:13 AM
skinzy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by clutchplate
I just worked the numbers as I usually prefer to buy, but my recent order will be around $5K less expensive to lease over three years. In California with sales tax at 8.25%, you only pay tax on 42% of the sales price. That's partially offset by the acquisition fee, but you still come out ahead. The big difference though is the loss of use of the money that will be trapped in a depreciating asset. That will also be offset if the dealer charges an above market money factor, but that can (and should) be negotiated. I haven't decided whether to buy or lease as my car won't be here for a few months, but the numbers make more sense for a lease.
I've never leased so don't know the details well but have done a financial calc which always seems to be significantly more costly. You do get to drive a newer car but take 2 huge drive off lot depreciations. I looked at a lease over 8 year period with assumptions about salvage value and opportunity costs. (i.e. two 4 year leases vs buy car hold 8 yrs)
Old 05-09-2012, 10:22 AM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Wow, great thread!

Quick Reply: Price Negotiations