Sponsored by:

EVO sidebar: 991 vs 991S

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 10:46 PM
tmg57
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carrera GT

To tie all this back into another thread of pricing, give me a "delete" option on S-PASM and PDCC and all the electronic and electric junk and I'll take it, even if it's zero dollars.
Don't need to delete S-PASM or PDCC on the "S" as they are are options.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:35 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 438 Likes on 234 Posts

Why is there even a debate about this? Whether you have $80,000 or $180,000 to spend, whether you want a full out track car or a fast, comfortable cruiser or whether you want a daily driver or a weekend fun car, a 911 will satisfy your needs. And no matter which one you opt for, you'll get a fantastic car.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:53 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tmg57
Don't need to delete S-PASM or PDCC on the "S" as they are are options.
My point being that it's not possible f'rinstance to get the "sport plus" functionality of PDK (shift pattern software) without buying the suspension and sport chrono, etc. It's not possible to get the lowered ride height without paying for it and there's no way to order the inevitable forthcoming "power kit" variant of the Carrera engine without the various suspension bits, etc.

I'd like the control and intelligence of PDK without the change in the throttle map ... I prefer a long travel throttle, not one that artificially induces the engine to overreact to small throttle position changes.

I'd like to see a Carrera 3.8 (or 4.2 let's say around 500 horsepower ...) with the simplicity of the Boxster Spyder -- coil-overs instead of electric dampers, turn off the electronics controlling the feel of the steering and let it feed through everything from the front wheels, and delete all the various electronics, no motorized deck-lid wing, etc.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:44 AM
tmg57
Racer

I understand your argument and don't disagree. It seems that there are a good number of Porsche enthusiasts who want a car like you describe. Clearly, the 991 C2S is not it. You could get a little closer with a base C2 that comes without PASM, but you would have to figure out how to get 500hp from the 3.4! Seriously, let's hope there is a future iteration of the 991 that comes closer to your requirements.

In Porsche's defense, they have a broad market to address and it's not always easy. Consider the following (from Wikipedia, my emphasis):

A rear spoiler deployed at high speed, preserving the purity of line when the vehicle was at rest. The chassis was redesigned overall. Coil springs, ABS brakes and power steering made their debut. The engine was increased in size to 3600 cc and developed 250 PS (184 kW). The car was more refined, but thought by some journalists to have lost some purity of the 911's concept.

They are talking about the introduction of the 964 C4 in 1989.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:16 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I'd like to see a Carrera 3.8 (or 4.2 let's say around 500 horsepower ...) with the simplicity of the Boxster Spyder -- coil-overs instead of electric dampers, turn off the electronics controlling the feel of the steering and let it feed through everything from the front wheels, and delete all the various electronics, no motorized deck-lid wing, etc.
I've been waiting for a modern 'Club Sport' 911 as well. I have a Boxster Spyder in the mean time (may end up being a long time) - I would rather have less horsepower than all of the electronic filters.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:28 PM
skinzy
Instructor

When I ordered my 991 Cab two months ago it was the 350 version. After a month I thought am I being penny wise and pound foolish. I mean just 10% more gets the S. Beyond 50 hp it gets better brakes and stability/ride control. I called the dealer to change and he said it would delay order the several months so I let it ride. Then in a fluke event one came up so I switched. I've always been one to wait in order to buy the best. I'm sure the extra 50 hp will rarely be used but I did want great breaks. Still waiting with a 4/21 build date. Hoping to get the car by early June.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:56 AM
jason74
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The reason that I posted the sidebar after reading the article was out of surprise. I have a 997.1 C2 which I love. My boss has a GTS and I spent a few days driving it last fall. It is, obviously, better than my car in many ways. But it's not THAT much better, IMHO. The strongest feeling that I had when it was time to return to 'old red' was, yeah, the C2 is an amazing car, and it's not that far from the latest, greatest 997. I am way happier that I paid cash for a CPO than making payments on a 'better' car.

So, everyone is entitled to their opinion. But underestimating the base car is a bit short sighted. The base car is still better than nearly every car out there and forgoing the 'S' on the back does not mean it's a bad product.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:49 AM
PSC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not driven base 991 but IMO the S does not really motor until you get past 5K revs. I'd be nervous about the base car being a bit gutless in the mid range for everyday driving.

We need Evo to compare a base 991 with an S without PDCC but I suspect the purest will always prefer the standard base suspension in terms of feedback even against PASM

Quick Reply: EVO sidebar: 991 vs 991S