Sponsored by:

997 owners who now have their 991

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 06:21 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997 owners who now have their 991

I have a question. How do the 997 owners who now have the 991 think of their new ride?

Out of all the cars I've had, my favorite all-arounder was my 997S launch car. I love my 965 but I'm thinking of the 991 b/c it can function as a daily driver. Probably sell the track car as well, and use the 991 for occasional track days. Should simplify my life.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:37 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 153 Posts

I love mine. I think it is a better daily driver than my 997 turbo. Go drive one and see what you think.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:12 PM
quibbs
Intermediate

Love mine as well. Just like carcommander I had a 997 turbo. The 991 is a great daily driver compared to that.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:15 PM
991 3Turbo
Racer

Is there a popular thought out there that the 991 turbo won't be a great daily driver? I can't think of why not with all the suspension management modes and such. I am hoping it will be best of both worlds.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:20 PM
quibbs
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 991 3Turbo
Is there a popular thought out there that the 991 turbo won't be a great daily driver? I can't think of why not with all the suspension management modes and such. I am hoping it will be best of both worlds.
I don't see why not. I think the 991 as a whole are great driving now and will be in the future.

I'm actually reconsidering getting the turbo and just getting the C4S when they are released. I believe the C4S will have 50 more hp and the wide body.

My experience with the 997.1 turbo was it just really had too much power for the street and the C4S seems like a good compromise.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:32 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does anyone really expect someone who just laid out 6 figures for a car to say they don't like it. I wouldn't admit to it in public.

The real question to ask is whether there is anyone who decided to keep their older 911 after test driving the 991 and why?

At the end of the day it's about personal preference and utility. You just have to go spend the seat time and decide for yourself if it is worth it.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:13 AM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 124 Posts

I think it is a valid question of now 991 owners. Especially given the reverse argument that can be made that a 997 owner may be overly critical if he or she (consciously or unconsciously) does not feel like making the outlay at the moment. If I were the OP, I would want to hear from both camps, not just from current 997 owners that rejected the 991.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:16 AM
quibbs
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SSST
Does anyone really expect someone who just laid out 6 figures for a car to say they don't like it. I wouldn't admit to it in public.

The real question to ask is whether there is anyone who decided to keep their older 911 after test driving the 991 and why?
Why would you think asking that question would be any more or less prone to fib? There are just as many people who wouldn't admit to wanting to get the new car but couldn't afford it. Or others who are resistant to change. That pendulum swings both ways.

OP just wanted to know what people who made the switch think. Of course it would be overwhelmingly positive. But it's not necessarily because people are that disingenuous. Perhaps it's because most are actually happy with their purchase.

I did a write up of my experience on two sites. It wasn't overwhelmingly positive one way or the other. Summed up it was "if you want more sport get a 997 turbo, if you want a better DD get a 991".

Like you said yourself, people should go test it and see what makes them the happiest.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:27 AM
frayed
Race Car

Geesh.

Just looking for input. Haven't had to a chance to get to the dealer yet. I've had a lot of metal in my garage and reading the reviews I have a feeling that the 991 is the natural extension of simply how much better the 997 chassis was over the 996. I found it to be a huge chasm in terms of accessible performance and how the 997 filtered all that didn't need to be felt but let through what should be felt by the driver.

But I'll know when I get chance when I get some time.

This is my first post here in years just trying to get caught up. Been spending more time offshore than on the track of late.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:39 AM
SSST
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well there are plenty of folks who have bought a 991 and love it. As they should. Many are right here. There are others like me who can afford it, but aren't sold on the new one.

I took my 996tt in for some warranty work late last week and they gave me a 991S PDK as a loaner for the day. It was a great car. I admit it.

Is it a great 911? Maybe. Can i afford it? Easily. Would I trade my 996tt for it straight up? Nope. Well actually, I might, then flip the 991 and buy my TT back.

It didn't have that connected to the road feeling and as too comfy. Despite the fact that it is a technically superior car, there just wasn't anything special about it. That's my opinion. Of course I just bought a CJ5 to keep at the beach house because the new Wranglers have carpet and can't be hosed out.

If you have a 991 and disagree, then I'm glad. Otherwise you made an expensive mistake.

The OP needs to spend seat time and decide for himself based on what he values.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:16 AM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

I bought my 991 and kept my turbo for awhile. I can assure you that if I did not think the 991 was better I would have already sold it. No point in having a toy you don't like or keeping something you don't like just because you have a bunch of money in it. I sold my '11 GT3RS just for that reason. My 991 will get traded for a turbo when they are available.
I don't think my turbo was too fast. :-)
Old 04-03-2012, 12:18 PM
chance
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 29 Posts

2k miles am liking it more and more.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:53 PM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 97 Posts

I think the OP asked a valid question and SSST's post is just stating the obvious. Most of us who spent a lot of money on a new car may not be the most objective comparing old vs new.

As much as I love my new 991, there are things I miss about the GTS. However, the 991 is a better daily driver for me; quieter, more comfortable yet still sporty enough when pushed. Last night I drove my practice partner to a meeting an hour away and he remarked at how nice and comfortable it was. I pushed the sport exhaust and jumped on it on a long on-ramp and he couldn't believe how fast it felt- a real Jekyl and Hyde car. I went from a 997 turbo to GTS then the 991S and am very happy. Our roads have lots of bumps, potholes and cops so there's only so much spirited driving that can be done safely. If you did more track driving than road, the GTS may not be faster but might be more fun.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:40 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Originally Posted by SSST
I test drove a 991 and decided to keep my 997. Money had nothing to do with it, though I obviously don't expect any 991 owners to believe me.

It (991) was a very pleasant car, more pleasant in many ways than my 997. But that's also the problem. First of all, I could not locate a stick to test drive, so I was forced to drive a PDK. I don't want a Porsche with an automatic transmission, no matter if I can override it and shift it quicker than my stick. The fun factor is missing, and that's that. That said, I'm not thrilled with the idea of a 7-speed stick either. If the 7-speed has the gates spread further apart, it's got to be slower to change; and if the gates are within the same confines, then it's got to be easier to change down into the wrong gear. I rarely use 5th now, and 6th almost never. I don't see why Porsche couldn't have merely tweaked the ratios a bit and left it at six. Well, there is one possible reason: they'd just as soon nobody ordered the stick. Further evidence of that is the lack of a proper handbrake. On hilly streets it means slipping the clutch until it wears prematurely. Another evidence is the centre console purloined from the Panamera. The PDK shifter was placed too high for comfort were it a stick, and if the real stick is shorter, then I'd have hit my elbow on the console even more than I did in the PDK.

Basically, the 991 felt quite like a Mercedes SL which I drove recently. And that is the crux of why I will not buy one. It may be technically better in a thousand-and-one ways than my 997, but in so being, has lost a significant bit of its appeal. The best way I can put it is 991:997 as Kate Middleton:Megan Fox.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:59 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

I have an SL65 in addition to my 991 they really are not very similar. Go push a 991 a little and then try the same with an SL500.

Quick Reply: 997 owners who now have their 991