lightweight 911

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 12:52 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default lightweight 911

I just read the article about the new lightweight. Should be awesome. Amazing to see Porsche could return to air-cooled engines after 15 years away. Apparently the high cylinder head temperatures improve emissions and reduce the need for complex (heavy) systems. I can only hope the rumored manual steering rack is part of the final car. Great to see the retro "long nose" body design and lightweight 18 inch wheels with push-rod front suspension. And priced below the 911. Wow.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:58 PM
Betternotbigger
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I just read the article about the new lightweight. Should be awesome. Amazing to see Porsche could return to air-cooled engines after 15 years away. Apparently the high cylinder head temperatures improve emissions and reduce the need for complex (heavy) systems. I can only hope the rumored manual steering rack is part of the final car. Great to see the retro "long nose" body design and lightweight 18 inch wheels with push-rod front suspension. And priced below the 911. Wow.
I'm intrigued. Where can I find the article?
Old 04-01-2012, 01:10 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

April fools..........
Old 04-01-2012, 01:15 PM
Betternotbigger
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
April fools..........
D'oh
Old 04-01-2012, 06:41 PM
Gleek48
Rennlist Member

Darn you guys. I just cancelled my order for my 991 after I read this...
Old 04-07-2012, 04:00 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

I was contemplating all the new passengers in the 991 yesterday evening (from underneath.)

* PDCC pump and actuators on the sways and the dampers
* PASM stuff on the dampers
* electric motor to drag on the parking brake
* stamped steel braces and brackets
* huge calipers and thicker rotors
* a separate, powerful electric motor for the power steering, for the AC compressor
* bulky, complex exhaust and brackets
* enormous motorized headlights
* complex door pockets
* cabin gadgets
* giant, elaborate center console
* oh so comfy seats
* navigation system and display
* PDK shifter and console
* rear seats are now large and bulky looking things that used to be flimsy little plywood panels
* rear decklid and motorized wing

Just comparing the 991 to the 997, the size and expanse of the dash is getting a bit silly, too. There's a lot of horizontal space in the cabin now -- the real parcel shelf is cavernous (this car will be great as a Targa with a rear hatch to access all that space.)

The obvious bulk of a starter motor designed to start the car thousands of times per week and the battery and DC cables to make that happen. If ever there was a car screaming out for a hitorque lightweight starter, it's this 991.

I have to think the 991 would be flipping light if one had the nerve to pull all that crap out and strip it down for the track. Lightweight calipers from someone like StopTech paired with Movit carbon rotors and some forged 19 inch track wheels would surely be huge for unsprung and flywheel mass.

Pull the PDCC and engine mounts and PASM. semi-solid mounts and bushings, conventional coil-overs.

Replace the headlights taillights with blanks, pull out the LEDs (they're notoriously heavy in the tail lights.)

997 GT2 seats (there's about 100 lbs ...)

Get a pro shop to fabricate an alloy replacement for all the steel underneath.

Replace the whole decklid, hinges, wing, motors with a single piece fixed wing.

It would be interesting if the power steering is accessible through the software without other mods.

I wonder if it might be possible to have the motor for the AC compressor separated from the compressor housing (to keep the refrigerant lines intact, otherwise, high pressure couplings could work.)

Get a power tweak from the tuners, maybe that 3.8 is worth another 15 horses with a simplified exhaust and conventional map rework -- maybe there's a lesson to learn from the 997.2 GTS to know how to get at least to the level of the "power kit" output.

Hopefully they get rid of some of the stamped metal underneath when they build the first GT3 or RS. I'm not too curious about the 7spd manual, so I'm going to live with the weight of PDK ... maybe they'll make it lighter for the RS? A "stripper" Carrera S could be quite fun.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:25 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

something along the lines of the clubsport version of the 968 definitely has appeal.

stripped to the bare essentials.

for those who prefer raw mechanicals...
Old 04-07-2012, 06:03 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I was contemplating all the new passengers in the 991 yesterday evening (from underneath.)

* PDCC pump and actuators on the sways and the dampers
* PASM stuff on the dampers
* electric motor to drag on the parking brake
* stamped steel braces and brackets
* huge calipers and thicker rotors
* a separate, powerful electric motor for the power steering, for the AC compressor
* bulky, complex exhaust and brackets
* enormous motorized headlights
* complex door pockets
* cabin gadgets
* giant, elaborate center console
* oh so comfy seats
* navigation system and display
* PDK shifter and console
* rear seats are now large and bulky looking things that used to be flimsy little plywood panels
* rear decklid and motorized wing

Just comparing the 991 to the 997, the size and expanse of the dash is getting a bit silly, too. There's a lot of horizontal space in the cabin now -- the real parcel shelf is cavernous (this car will be great as a Targa with a rear hatch to access all that space.)

The obvious bulk of a starter motor designed to start the car thousands of times per week and the battery and DC cables to make that happen. If ever there was a car screaming out for a hitorque lightweight starter, it's this 991.

I have to think the 991 would be flipping light if one had the nerve to pull all that crap out and strip it down for the track. Lightweight calipers from someone like StopTech paired with Movit carbon rotors and some forged 19 inch track wheels would surely be huge for unsprung and flywheel mass.

Pull the PDCC and engine mounts and PASM. semi-solid mounts and bushings, conventional coil-overs.

Replace the headlights taillights with blanks, pull out the LEDs (they're notoriously heavy in the tail lights.)

997 GT2 seats (there's about 100 lbs ...)

Get a pro shop to fabricate an alloy replacement for all the steel underneath.

Replace the whole decklid, hinges, wing, motors with a single piece fixed wing.

It would be interesting if the power steering is accessible through the software without other mods.

I wonder if it might be possible to have the motor for the AC compressor separated from the compressor housing (to keep the refrigerant lines intact, otherwise, high pressure couplings could work.)

Get a power tweak from the tuners, maybe that 3.8 is worth another 15 horses with a simplified exhaust and conventional map rework -- maybe there's a lesson to learn from the 997.2 GTS to know how to get at least to the level of the "power kit" output.

Hopefully they get rid of some of the stamped metal underneath when they build the first GT3 or RS. I'm not too curious about the 7spd manual, so I'm going to live with the weight of PDK ... maybe they'll make it lighter for the RS? A "stripper" Carrera S could be quite fun.
Is this a wish-list or a clever trial balloon placed by high places at PCNA?
Old 04-07-2012, 07:23 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

The balloons I get from Porsche are filled with Cocaine and I have to transport them over the border.
Maybe I take my devotion to the 911 too far.

Quick Reply: lightweight 911