Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any part or parts of the new 991 isnt manufactured in Germany?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 12:46 PM
cehouxishou
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Any part or parts of the new 991 isnt manufactured in Germany?

just out of my curiosity, if any one knows that porsche still keeps its pure blood line of the new 991s in Stuttgart? or it is like the Cayennes, which i heard are build up on some VM‘s touareg platform (i could be wrong about this)

thanks in advance for your info
Old 03-27-2012, 01:46 PM
Kelderek
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

All 991's are built in Zuffenhausen, near Stuttgart. As are the Boxsters and the Caymans. Cayenne and Panamera are built at the other Porsche plant in Leipzig, where the Carrera GT was also built.

Cayenne share the technical platform with VW Tuareg and Audi Q7, but they are built by Porsche.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:54 PM
sapman
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

I noticed when looking at my clear side markers that they were built in an eastern european country (can't remember which). Unfortunately that is the only part of the car yet in my possession. However, I would guess that many of the parts come from outside Germany.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:04 PM
street
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Cars and their manufacturers are true multinationals. Check the disclosure on the monroni on any car.

Many alu rims, turbos, and seats are from the USA. Most silver paint, air con from Japan. My A4 had OEM rims from China. Blaupunkt hasn't made a stereo in Germany since my 84 911.

Boxster's were assembled in Finland. Touregs and Cayennes on different lines, but both German.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:16 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Many parts (engine crankcases, pumps, alternators, etc.) are, and have been for years, manufactured in many countries outside Germany. Assembly is in Zuffenhausen.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:49 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

I thought most of the Boxsters/Caymans were still assembled by Valmet in Finland. A small percentage are assembled in Stuttgart. Now I'm not so sure.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:20 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Riz
I thought most of the Boxsters/Caymans were still assembled by Valmet in Finland. A small percentage are assembled in Stuttgart. Now I'm not so sure.
The question was where 991s are built and where its parts are manufactured...

PAG used to build Boxsters in Finland and may still build a few. Going forward VW will assemble some cars including Boxster/Cayman/Panamera.

And to the OP: Cayennes share the Touareg platform but they are assembled by PAG in Leipzig. Platform sharing and assembly are two different things. And... sharing just means that VW uses as the Touareg's base a platform designed by Weissach (PAG's engineering design center) also used by the Cayenne.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:04 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 148 Posts

The 997 manual transmission were built in Japan. Many parts sourced from Eastern Europe.

Porsche 987 production in Finland finished about a year ago. 981 Boxsters to be built at VW's former Karmann factory in Germany.

Cayennes bodies come from the VW factory in Bratislava, Slovakia, along with most of the parts shared with the Touareg under the skin. Final assembly for the Cayenne is in Leipzig.

Bottom line - blood line not pure German. Has not been for a while.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:39 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 147 Likes on 79 Posts

FWIW, according to the window stickers, the German parts content is 64% for my '09 Carrera S and 67% for my Cayenne S. Just as a point of reference, for our Audi A3 TDI it's 75%.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:26 AM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts

Looking at my window sticker -- the only part currently in my possession -- it says:

Parts content information:

US/Canada Parts Content: 4%
Major sources of foreign parts content: Germany 66%
Note: Parts content does not include final assembly, distribution, or other non-parts costs.
For this vehicle: Final Assembly Point: Stuttgart, Germany
Country of Origin: Engine: Germany Transmission: Germany
Old 03-28-2012, 04:17 AM
Kelderek
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's really weird stating that a certain percentage of parts content is made in a certain country.

It just doesn't work that way. A modern car operation is a supply chain with many steps.

Let's say that a certain component, a control box for the ABS, is assembled by a supplier in Italy. It might contain a circuit board made in Germany, wires from a Japanese company and some integrated circuits from the US. But the silicon these circuits are made from were procured in China. It's all put in a plastic box made by a manufacturer in Poland, held together with screws and washers made in Hungary. They then put a sticker with the part number on it and attach a few cables to the box at a pre-assembly station at the Porsche plant in Zuffenhausen.
The control box is then put in the 991, again in Zuffenhausen.

Now for the big question: Is this a German part? Or what is it? What's the "blood line" of this part?

A Porsche will never be made with just "German parts". Why should it? Porsche will buy parts where they find it suitable to buy parts. Period.

What we can firmly establish is where the final assembly is made.
At this point, it's like this:

911: Zuffenhausen
Boxster: Zuffenhausen
Cayman: Zuffenhausen
Panamera: Leipzig
Cayenne: Leipzig

There are plans to do final assembly of some Boxsters, Caymans and Panameras at a VW facility, but that is for later this year.

Quick Reply: Any part or parts of the new 991 isnt manufactured in Germany?