Sponsored by:

Negative Nancy's.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 01:36 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Negative Nancy's.....

maybe it's just me, but why do most people always focus on the negative things versus the vast improvements... are we all turning into the news and just about making our days worse by dwelling on what could be bad, versus what actually is bad or whats actually amazing?

i know it's somewhat rhetorical, but... porsche has spent quite a bit of time on the 991....

making it lighter (lots of work to shed pounds much less tens of pounds, even harder tens of kilo's!)

making it faster

making the pdk transmission that was amazing, better.

putting sport mode on our vehicles for free.

allowing us a sunroof delete without a hassle.

giving us navigation as standard.

giving us a seamless way to connect an ipod without any qualms for free!

getting more power without creating more power (less drag on engine making it more efficient and more power to ground)

designed a revolutionary steering setup that despite the nay sayers is pretty damn good.

all of this was not done overnight and was a lot of work, only the 3rd chassis to grace the 911 since inception...

but all we tend to focus on, on every 911 forum is:

"the steering is crap, but i didn't order one and i havent really driven one.. but heard a guy tell me it was electric and bahhhhh"

or

"they recalled something before it killed people so we must all now worry 24/7 or talk crap about the car because it has something to do with fuel!! bahhhh"

or my favorite

"when i go to get an oil change on my $100,000.00 car i have to pay to have them remove the bumper now, what's that going to cost... "

i know everyone is cynical but maybe we should give credit where credit is due, and when they issue a recall take it as a good thing that they are looking out for their customers and double checking things before they are on the road too long...

at the end of the day, if the steering is bad.... buy another car with even worse steering... i can name a handful of them that weigh 4000-5000lbs and drive like **** and cost more..

if your car catches on fire, remove your ipod from the glove box and change from the console and walk away and call your insurance company... and you'll have a nice check in the mail in a week.

if the oil change is too expensive, then get the $2500 service plan and add it to your financing so you pay it monthly without getting your panties in a twist... every single guy on here feels that "the car is **** without adaptive engine mounts and launch control that costs $2500" why are you worried about another $2500 on the financing... for something you actually need versus street racing with kids in civic's or launching your car hoping you can drop some panties..

end of rant..

;-)
Old 03-26-2012, 02:24 AM
gerenb
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You shouldn't let the negativity bother you. Some people have older models and simply want to take the new model down a notch. Others have older models and have legitimate concerns about some of the changes. I, personally, am not a huge fan of electric steering but was pleased to hear that they actually did a good job implementing it. Still others are Porsche haters and want to rain on the parade.

The truth is the overwhelming majority of reviews are extremely positive and the 991 appears to be an extraordinary achievement and an amazing technological tour de force. Is it as much fun as a raw, tightly sprung sports car? Yes, but only if you turn off some of that amazing technology. It is, in fact, both a smooth riding GT car AND a smoking hot sports car.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:14 AM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
maybe it's just me... getting... panties in a twist... every single guy on here feels that "the car is ****...

end of rant..

;-)
Why worry if some don't like the new car you're buying? If you like it, buy it. Enjoy it even.

No matter what car you buy someone is going to not like it. To each his own.

Me? I'm keeping my 997.

Enjoy your new baby Panamera! J/K
Old 03-26-2012, 04:25 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Not the 3rd chassis.

The steering is crap. : )
Old 03-26-2012, 10:40 AM
gerenb
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RollingArt
Why worry if some don't like the new car you're buying? If you like it, buy it. Enjoy it even.

Me? I'm keeping my 997.

Hey, we'll see you on the road. Try to keep up.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:42 AM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts

Hehe, reporting this from my post the other day over on the other site, entitled "'Lost Soul'"or Progress Dislike":

I enjoy hearing pluses and minuses, but it seems to me like much of the 991 dislike:ing posted is not just constructive criticism, but also oftentimes coupled with condescending views towards most things new or change. As someone mentioned, it is a fine line Porsche has to walk with the 911. Personally I think the 991 is a good job at balancing 911:ness with progress needed to stay relevant.

Times march on and technical progress brings change. I think it is pretty clear that if Porsche would still be producing SC's or 993s, or even 997s, forever, there ultimately would be no more Porsche (or at least not any more sports cars from the brand).

Good news is so many Porsches are still on the road, so we can all enjoy several generations. I for one have had the privilege of driving a 924, a 944, an SC, a Cayman, a 997.1 GT3, and was the proud owner of a 997.1 T4. Enjoyed them all for different reasons.

I am very excited to have a 991S incoming. Do I think some things could be different/better to me on the 991 -- sure, but overall I think it is an amazing car and it holds plenty of excitement.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:16 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Enjoy your new 2 door Panamera Coupe! J/K
Corrected
Old 03-26-2012, 12:35 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

When the negatives out weight the positives and you have to pay top dollar for it. It seems pointless in upgrading if you’re going to be unhappy. A lot of people who are more money conscious are not going to upgrade just to have a newer car. So focusing on the negatives makes it much easier.

Personally the positives for me are the engines, the suspension brakes, the look of the front bumper.
The negatives are the 7 speed manual transmission. The lack of a proper hand brake, the center console, the buttons located on the door, the rear tail lights, the rear red reflectors being pushed out to the side, from the side profile the cabin looks like it’s been pushed forward and the nose it more stubby which sorta makes it to me less 911 and more Panamera.

I am not totally sure I would want a new 911. I think I’d prefer to go with a 997 GT3
Old 03-26-2012, 04:34 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 474 Likes on 272 Posts

Oh Boy.....even for a guy that feels tremendously disappointed by the 991 I'm getting worn out by these discussions.

Some people like them (usually the people that already ordered them) and some people don't...so what....that's what they said about every one of my girlfriends oner the years and probably still say about my wife.

But guess what....she was either my girlfriend or I married her! Who gives a sh*t!

Tom
Old 03-26-2012, 04:54 PM
sapman
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyV44
Some people like them (usually the people that already ordered them) and some people don't (usually the people who recently bought a 997)
Fixed that for you

Just kidding.

Agreed on these type of threads beginning to get very tedious.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:11 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Me? I'm keeping my 997.

Im not saying they should love it because i bought one, im saying they should love it because of the innovations and steps forward versus other makers that keep making the same mistakes... I mean aston martin is popping v12's in their baby aston and still not getting the performance of the flat 6 in the new 991...

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Not the 3rd chassis.

The steering is crap. : )
i was told it's the 7th generation and 3rd new chassis.. 996/997 shared a chassis and before that it was the same basic chassis since inception. not saying the chassis code did not change but the overall design and so forth of the actual chassis....
Old 03-26-2012, 05:33 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rij ; chill Man, enjoy your car.

But if you think this is the 3rd Chassis I think you have to read up some more on Porsches

And if you think anything is "free" on this car I have a terrible surprise for you.

C'mon. Enjoy what you like and leave others to enjoy what they like. Seems to me that 991-folks are trying too hard to discredit the opinions of others.

Every time any car changes there are detractors. My M3 can smoke the old ones, bt some feel the older ones are better... fine by me
Old 03-26-2012, 06:14 PM
C DeVito
Racer

Agree, everyone has a choice. Vote with your wallet and enjoy what you bought or move on to something else. Personally I am still looking for the perfect car, haven't found it yet and even though I bought a 991 and will no doubt enjoy owning it, I have no dillusions that it is perfect.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:50 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
...why do most people always focus on the negative things versus the vast improvements...
Seems pretty obvious to me - if you feel the negatives outweigh the positives, then you will focus on the negatives. And vice versa. If "most people" are focusing on the negatives, then Porsche may have taken the 911 too far from its previous audience. But I believe that was their intention.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:41 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 130 Likes on 69 Posts

Read the news. Everyone is getting their panties in a twist about something; some legitimately, but often as not, over invented or inconsequential concerns. It's human nature and you can't fight it. You're getting a great car and as long as it floats your boat, that's all that matters.

Quick Reply: Negative Nancy's.....