Clarkson reviews the 991

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 10:49 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
Interesting way to do my first post here, but....

AAPL is currently the best value on the market, even considering its upward correction. Any even remotely savvy investor wouldn't concentrate on ticker price and realize that you're buying the company at artificially low P/E levels, and incredibly low forward P/E levels. Massive room for continued growth, no debt, and a flurry of new products and probably positive earnings reports mean that it isn't unheard of for the stock to double from its starting point this year.... and the P/E level would still be lower than most anyone it "competes" with.

When it comes to the market, too many people focus on movement trends and emotions. Look at logistics and AAPL is anything but a hype story, it's a fundamental story, and will continue to be so unless the stock corrects so heavily upward that P/E ratio goes berserk, or the company stumbles.

.... as for Clarkson, his 911/Porsche prejudice is reeks even in a "positive" article written on the 991.

Really goes to show just how fabulous the 991 really is.
If you take the "fundamentals" approach on AAPL, you've already bought it prior to 2011, probably in the first half of 2009, and there's no reason to overweight in 2012 at $600.

A savvy investor or trader might focus on their own assertions about value or growth, but that doesn't translate into a decision to buy or sell any security after a parabolic (near vertical!) rally.

If there's any "massive" potential for AAPL, it's to lose stock price. The recent announcements to pay a div and to "authorize" a trivial dollar amount in buy-back are not incentives to buy here at $600.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:43 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 94 Posts

I disagree.

AAPL's forward P/E (based on conservative Street estimates) at this price is around 12. There's no way they'll trade that low, unless they post a bad earnings miss or two. Projected EPS is also conservative, but shows that with even moderate 10-20% growth, with a P/E of around 8, in 2014-2015 we'll have a $1,000+ share price.

People have been playing the "doom game" on Apple forever, as it's rallied and made smart investors rich. At $600, AAPL is still a bargain, and can still double an investors initial investment in several years, give or take.

The iPad just blew away even the highest estimates, AND launched in 25 new countries today, giving added insurance toward a possible blowout quarter in what is usually a very moderate quarter. We have upcoming product launches, and iPhone 5 of course in store.

The Dividend makes AAPL the most dynamic stock on the market. Giving you benefits from all sectors. It also invites a whole new segment of investor/institution to jump in, which will help share price.

This upward rise is anything but a unjustified upward rally. It is simply a "correction" after AAPL was artificially flat in 2011. It should have kicked off 2012 at over $500, and after growth of 80% YOY last year, obviously we're still in "upward correction" mode. Once that mode is over, THEN a true rally can begin.

I feel like a lot of AAPL naysayers are those who have been playing the pessimistic contrarian game since it crossed $200, watching the gains pass them by. Last year people were saying it'd be too hard to cross $400. Now they say it about $800.

It'll remain the best and "safest" play in town unless something fundamental changes.

I'd love to hear non theoretical, non hyperbole, non emotively charged claims as to why AAPL shouldn't rise healthily from this level this year. Too many people focus on Wall Street psyche and theories, however don't focus on raw fundamentals and logic. Charts also don't apply with AAPL, because 2011 is an "off the table" year, with Steve Jobs unfortunate numerous issues holding back the stock, the Japanese Tsunami, CEO change, and the false "miss" (which wasn't a miss) for the second to last quarter (excuse was that iPhone buyers were waiting for 4S, which was completely right). Too many people also focus too much on charts, and miss out on why AAPL is correcting upward: Because the stock was to play catchup to the company's earnings.

BTW, to put my money where my mouth is, along with the shares I bought previous to 2012, I added a little to my position in the mid $580's.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:36 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 772 Likes on 416 Posts

Old 03-23-2012, 01:33 PM
gerenb
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I'll have to throw my expert opinion in this debate. Here it is:

Apple good, Android bad.

Let's get back to the cars...
Old 03-23-2012, 10:12 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 153 Posts

Pigs get fat hogs get slaughtered. The latest darling always gets slaughtered.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:49 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by carcommander
Sage words.

I won't overstay my welcome by pursuing trading topics here. Trading or "investing" is a provocative analogy, but perhaps too provocative and not quite so evocative of clarity of thought.

If anyone following along wants an interesting observation on trading to examine for their own amusement, just drop me a note and I'll share something that I find well worth knowing.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:14 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by carcommander
Agreed. That's why AAPL is a wise investment to protect yourself from that.

Or is a 12 forward P/E, $100+B in cash, massive growth potential, new China carriers recently added (hello instant China growth), zero debt, et al considered a passing "darling" (thought not)?

Again, very eager to hear anything but hyperbole, theoretical hypothesizing, emotively charged bedtime stories as to why the cold hard FUNDAMENTALS of buying AAPL at over $600 is anything but a wise move?

Sorry for the O/T, but I keep seeing frustrated folk who clearly either got nailed by trying to short AAPL, or missed out on the run up (it's far from too late to buy in), using catch-phrases and emotively charged nonsense ("sheep", "bubble", etc.) that apply to anything but Apple right now. People have been playing contrarian scaredy-cat "it can't go on" theories on AAPL since it passed $100 (and well before). They'll be singing the same tune all the way past $1,000, if logistics pan out.

Carrera GT: I'm not ignorant, just feel like I'm a well informed for a "Retail Investor" in the logical fundamentals and non clouded outlook on AAPL, but am definitely interested in hearing any logical and similar tones within any information you might have.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:30 AM
ethel19
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Clarkson is a boozy old fart who's more concerned about whether he can get his full term pregnant belly behind the steering wheel than whether or not the steering is connected to the wheels.

As he swings his mental pendulum from pluses to minuses and back again, this "review" adds multiple-personality-disorder to his laundry list of disorders.

His business model is to incite discourse and have his words cut-and-paste'd and linked and sell copies of publications so the advertisers beg to access the millions that follow Top Gear. If only he could satisfy his business and still have something worth saying. He's a funny clown to watch on the telly as a flubbery old tippler throws everything he drives into gratuitous oversteer with a hyperbolic narrative. But listening to his blather or reading the drivel he publishes is a waste of time for anyone that takes any interest in actually knowing facts or gathering meaningful opinions on cars.

At some point in his media celebrity career -- perhaps ten years ago, give or take -- it no longer mattered what he was saying or what he was saying it about, it was just him saying it that drew the viewer numbers.

It's an unpleasant reality that the largest populations of car enthusiasts are watching "thrill of the crash" roundy-round racing with the convenience of colosseum seating or following shows like Top Gear in their millions with the same mind-set as pop music fans "devoted" to their idols and oblivious to music.

I could not agree more--Years ago I became fed up with this old wind bag.
He's an ego driven rich guy that thinks that he is a good driver just because he can oversteer a car around a couple of turns. He can dish it out but can't take it coming back at him.

Quick Reply: Clarkson reviews the 991