Sponsored by:

iPod playback music format?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 12:26 PM
skinzy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question iPod playback music format?

Have ordered a Burmester system for my new 911 Cabriolet. The description says it will play DVD-A, CD, and MP3 in the disc player. It also claims iPod compatibility. Will the PCM 3.1 play music from an iPhone/pod that is in a music format other than MP3. In other words Apple AAC encoded music format. Would be a pain to have to convert all my iPod audio files to lower quality MP3. However, I'm certain CD's will always sound better.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:19 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 131 Likes on 70 Posts

It should. I have a few music videos in the music folder on my iPhone that are recorded in the MP4 Video format. The play back fine on the Bose systems in both the Carrera and Cayenne (audio only of course) and even show up on the PCM playlist.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:22 PM
gerenb
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm interested in the answer to this question as well. I would think it would at least have to support aac to be iPod compatible. I wonder if it would support lossless compression. I've ordered the Burmester as well and to truly sound its best it will need the highest quality source material.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:01 PM
skinzy
Instructor

The fact that it does MP4 is good. It would be very silly of Burmester not to support All high res formats. My guess is the the iPod does the DAC and sends both analog and digital (label info) info to PCM. But it may not.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:51 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

The current (that is 997.2) iPhone-PCM connectivity supports ALAC (Apple Lossless Compression) and AIFF. ..

if you want to convert between formats: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm works rather well

[Robot ripped my 500+ CD library collection to a dedicated server using dual format (AIFF and FLAC) parallel pathing.]
Old 03-07-2012, 09:53 PM
nicoff
Racer

Originally Posted by skinzy
The fact that it does MP4 is good. It would be very silly of Burmester not to support All high res formats. My guess is the the iPod does the DAC and sends both analog and digital (label info) info to PCM. But it may not.
Agree. The iPod does the DAC work. It will play just fine.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:49 AM
emode
Track Day

I have the Burmester system in my 991 and can confirm that standard 16bit/44.1kHz lossless audio in ALAC format (AAC is a lossy format similar to MP3) loaded onto an iPod (7th Gen Classic) plays fine on the PCM with song artist, title, etc. showing up on the main screen as well as the multifunction screen in the gauge cluster. However, I have not been able to play FLAC files burned to cd/dvd or via usb stick. I use dbPoweramp to convert FLAC to ALAC. Also, have not been able to play high bitrate lossless files (e.g. 24bit/96kHz) files since iTunes won't accept these. SACD discs do not play unfortunately.

Most DVD-audio discs play fine although I've run into a few where it defaults to 2-channel audio without a way to select 5.1 surround. So far, dts encoded surround material sounds the best, with stunning discrete separation of sounds to the separate speakers; combined with the amazing clarity of the system overall, this makes for a highly engaging experience which is actually better than my home surround system. I'm trying to get my hands on as many dts CDs and DVDs as possible! If people have recommendations, please post.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:49 AM
skinzy
Instructor

Thanks emote! Thats great news. Makes sense.

Quick Reply: iPod playback music format?