Sponsored by:

Another 991S test drive

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 01:56 PM
mrm 930
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Another 991S test drive

Okay, after all this I still don't know which way to go. (991S or GT3-RS)

Yesterday went to the local dealer for a test drive. Weather was nice for February, Sunny and 45º. Drove a 991S Agate Grey on Agate Grey with full leather, PDK, sport chrono with PASM and PDCC, Sport exhaust, Burmeister and other options. Drove it in town and on the interstate.

My impression is that the new 991 is a very modern and well laid out sports car. The handling is impressive. In sports mode the car was not too rough or hard. Flip on the PASM and the car still is very manageable for the street. However in Sport Plus, you run out of street to drive it properly.

The only way to drive with Sport Plus on the street is to shift manually. This car did not have the Sport steering wheel, so shifting was awkward with the standard steering wheel paddles. You really need to use the shift lever. In the "automatic" PDK mode shifting was at redline. Drove this on the on-ramps to the interstate and the shifting was fast and very smooth. At first I had the tendency to let of alittle - NO - for the car to shift in that mode you had to keep your foot in it. After that adjustment, it was fantastic.

The 991S with PDK, PASM and PDCC is the BMW equivalent of a 991 "M" car. I state this because my daily driver is an 2010 M5. Very luxurious 4-door sports car, but put it in the M-mode and it comes alive. The suspension becomes very stiff, more stiff than a GT3-RS (IMHO). The 911S reminds me of this. This new 911 is an extraordinary, luxurious sports car. You can go from a nice everyday driver to a more raw sports car - due to all of the new and modern electronic chassis, suspension and engine management controls. In comparison, a very good, more modern 2-door M5 (I'm talking only about the driving experience).

After the test drive, I immediately drove a 08 GT3 RS that was on the lot. The over handling was not quite as good as the 991S but so close. The ride felt more raw than the 991S in the Sport mode, but now by much. However with the sport button engaged in the RS - the all out rawness of the RS comes out.

Still confused about my decision. The local dealer has helped me to locate a '10 or '11 RS. We actually put offers in of 2 cars, but to find out they sold the day prior. So still looking (just in case).

Upon returning to discussing my options of the 2 cars. The manger threw me the keys of the 991S and told me to take it out by myself for about 45 minutes or so. He said that your reaction will be totally different if you drive by yourself, go where you want to and push the car in a way that you don.t with a Porsche representative in the car. He was right. You DO drive the car differently. So alot more street driving with a alittle more aggressive driving on the "on" and "off" ramps. Pushing it harder in corners and drove to areas that had more curves and elevation changes (Yes everyone, Omaha is not flat, counter to popular belief - but its definitely not SoCal either).

Upon returning again, I immediately had a build sheet produced for pricing. The dealer is giving a 3% discount, which seems okay, but I do not know how this compares to other dealers. I actually have loaded it with options including deviated stitching - comes in under $130K.

Back to the title of the thread. I still don't know which way to go. My wife approved $135K to buy a Porsche. Does not matter if its new or used. So a 991S or the GT3 RS, is still the question? Two different cars - however I will not be tracking either one, except for the occasional DE. I like the more obscure, optioned, raw and higher end models. So maybe an '08 RS and get a heavily optioned 991 GTS when available?

Thank you all for reading this. I think I may need to walk away from this site and others for a few days to let my mind clear up. Still have a decision to make. Oh yeah one more thing. If i spend $135K - $140K, I have to turn in the M5 in June when the lease is up - OR - spend up to $120K-$125K on a used Porsche and keep the M5. Just the way the finances work out.

Thanks everyone,
Mark

Quick Reply: Another 991S test drive