Sponsored by:

Hammond's 991 review

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 08:40 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hammond's 991 review

The technical reason for fitting the new Porsche 911 with a seven-speed manual gearbox is to lower emissions and boost economy.

It is the world’s first 7-ratio manual. Ah yes, there are seven-speed semi-automatic gearboxes but not a proper manual with a clutch worked by your foot and not a robot.

There is another reason, though I doubt this was high on the Porsche engineers’ priorities list, and that’s because it gives you an extra cog as you scream up the gears to the red line.

Our test car is a Carrera S which, bought with no bells and whistles, costs £81,242. But no one ever pays the minimum and Porsche never makes a test car for the press that doesn’t have loads of gizmos.

This one has got £11,500 worth of extras. Most you could do without, but not the £1,772 Sports Exhaust. To not buy a 911 with this would be as daft as requesting that the car come with only three wheels.

I’ve got a sports exhaust on my 911. Mine’s a type 997, which is the model that’s just been replaced by this new 991. Porsche would probably like me to chop my car in f or a new one, but there’s nothing wrong with mine.

There can’t be because I’ve owned it for six years which is a record for me – by about five years. But it is rather tempting because the new 911 is even better than the old one.

Look at the photographs and the latest 911 could be a simple facelift. The graphics on the engine lid at the back are different and so are the lights front and back, but it’s pretty subtle.

Porsche hasn’t messed it’s iconic overall shape but the car is completely different from its predecessor.

It’s bigger for one thing. The new 911 is 56mm longer, 6mm lower, the track is 50mm wider and the wheelbase is 100mm longer. The latter means that the threat to the children, “If you’re naughty you’ll have to sit in the back of mummy’s/daddy’s 911” is not as scary because there’s more rear space for kids (but don’t think about taking mates further than the pub in it).

Bigger hasn’t meant heavier because Porsche has put the 911 on a diet by recycling aluminium saucepans from the factory canteen and using them in the body. Probably. The result is a car is 40kg lighter.

You’ll notice more of a difference inside the Porsche than outside. There’s more space in the front, but also there are more buttons. It’s still tidy, just busier with more things to twiddle.

Now, out the back is a flat-six engine. It’s not greatly changed, just a bit more powerful – 400bhp in the Carrera S up from 386bhp – and more economical. Top speed is 189mph and 0-62mph takes 4.5sec.

Because having seven gears is almost as complicated as finding your way around Venice without a map, Porsche has provided a gear indicator.

The gearbox is also pretty clever because it won’t let you change into seventh gear (which gives you 70mph on the motorway at 2,000rpm) unless you’ve been through 5th and 6th gear.

One of the great improvements is the lack of tyre noise when cruising along the motorway. There’s less wind noise, too. And it feels more stable.

The Porsche also rides more smoothly, even with the Sport Plus button. In the past pressing this button has firmed up the suspension and sent a text message to the nearest Porsche-approved chiropractor.

Now the car stiffens up, but not to a ridiculous level that one of those Indian blokes who sleeps on a bed of nails would find uncomfortable.

The new car is also fitted with *electric power steering. The purists were worried the legendary tight 911 steering would now be as floppy as the elastic on an old pair of pants. They needn’t have worried as the 911 steers perfectly.

Porsche has made a new 911 that 911 lovers will like, and one that people who have never liked the car, might like. It’s the old one, but it’s still brilliant.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/mo...or-fect-673336
Old 02-14-2012, 10:23 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Wow...it's obvious he's a TV presenter and not a writer...

I have to say that when I saw a 991 in person I had the same reaction...doesn't really look much different. This, of course, is a good thing;-)
Old 02-15-2012, 08:37 AM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, add this to the long list of positive reviews out there. Any doubters still left?

This guy is big on PSE, a little exaggerated perhaps. Sure the pse is damn loud, but nothing wrong with the standard exhaust. Perhaps it just sounds loud because of the sound symposer getting the sound in to the cabin. You don't now need windows down to fully enjoy the exhaust.

Also if already lower than the 997, do you really need the sport pasm to lower it further? Beware if you live in any area with speed bumps.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:16 AM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by aamersa
OK, add this to the long list of positive reviews out there. Any doubters still left?

This guy is big on PSE, a little exaggerated perhaps. Sure the pse is damn loud, but nothing wrong with the standard exhaust. Perhaps it just sounds loud because of the sound symposer getting the sound in to the cabin. You don't now need windows down to fully enjoy the exhaust.

Also if already lower than the 997, do you really need the sport pasm to lower it further? Beware if you live in any area with speed bumps.
You do get that nifty front splitter with SPASM though...
Old 02-15-2012, 03:15 PM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

He had a nice quote about his 997 and also the 991 in a Car & Driver interview this month.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:09 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by aamersa
Roofline is lower, I am not sure ground clearance is? On that point, the shorter nose overhang will be welcome for sure.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:21 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Ground clearance is lower. A big problem where I live, lots of bumps coz people just drive recklessly here and govt. tries to control it by putting speed bumps.

The new 991S has pasm standard 10mm lower, no need to get sport pasm 20mm lower.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:38 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Do you have a ground clearance number for the 991? I have not been able to find one yet.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:51 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

The standard 991 suspension would be 10mm higher than the standard 991S suspension. You can get the PASM option which would lower the suspension by 10mm and make it the same as the 991S, or the sport PASM option which would lower the ride by 20mm.

Both options would be quite unnecessary if ordering a 991 imo.

Nope I don't have a ground clearance number but know that 20mm lower would cause problems. Good for track only.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:06 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Numbers from the 997.2 owner's manual below. Anyone with a 991 manual yet?

Carrera and Carrera S
Ground clearance at maximum gross weight: 4.45 in./113 m

With PASM:
Ground clearance at maximum gross weight
911 Carrera: 4.21 in./107 mm
911 Carrera S: 4.33 in./110 mm

With Sports Chassis:
Ground clearance at maximum gross weight 3.94 in./100 mm

Last edited by fbroen; 02-15-2012 at 08:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Hammond's 991 review