Sponsored by:

My first 991S test drive today

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 08:37 AM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My first 991S test drive today

I am to pick up my 991S Sunday morning but went to dealer today to do some paperwork and decided to get a test drive.

Car was guards red with black full leather interior and adaptive sports seats. Heavy config but no PDCC. When I sat in car (saw bose speakers) I found out that Bose is standard in my market, I hadn't ordered it, but I guess I'll have it now. But as soon as the car started I realized that who the hell cares about bose, with pse so loud and even without pse loud enough, I don't see any significance of a stereo system.

The handling was reasonable, it's my first sports car so I don't have a comparison point. Acceleration was sharp once it began but there was a delay in acceleration upon flooring it in regular and sport mode, but no delay with sport+ but that mode can not be used all the time.

I must repeat what I said about 911 gts after my test drive a few months ago, that this vehicle's torque is no more beastly than my v8 bmw 550i, but because of it's smaller size, lighter weight and sports car dynamics it can certainly beat it in handling no doubt and also straight line acceleration.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:57 AM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 159 Posts

To get a beast you need a turbo or GT3RS. 911's are normally about balance. My SL65 is a beast. Either of the Porsche's would leave it for dead on a race track.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:09 AM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Funny you say that, coz I do need a beast and indeed plan to get a 991 turbo a couple years down the road but not a GT3RS coz I need a DD.

But I was under the impression that a 991S doing 0-60 in 4 secs should be a beast. It isn't.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:10 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,269 Likes on 585 Posts

Aamersa - I think the thing to realize is that your getting into a very different car and culture that is much more focused on the unique combination of the 911 attributes that are much more in their totally than shear brute force and torque. I look forward to your post a week or so into your ownership and see whether the car has yanked on your soul like it did with many of us! Enjoy your new ride.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:18 AM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Yes, Zeus, I am very open minded and hope it will yank on my soul and look forward to it. Thanks.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:25 PM
stab1991
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had my first test drive last friday. Porsche will do very well with these as they are very nice looking in person, the interior in full leather is beautiful and they now drive like my audi.

I got out of it and into my 997.1 S cab and as I was driving it, all I could think was how much more sporting mine felt because it wasnt as refined. And the steering on the 991 needs work in my opinion. Maybe they will refine it next year.

Now saying that, my P-car is not my daily driver and the new one fits that bill better.

If I only had money for one nice car, this could be it. But personally I like a pure toy car to drive and play with and the older 911s fit that better. As i get older and the cabs are out I'm sure I will end up in one.

Quick Reply: My first 991S test drive today