Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Took delivery of 991 with Sport PASM/-20

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 02:00 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 165 Posts

Beautiful car. I think I like Platinum Silver more than the GT Sil. on the 991.
J
Old 02-14-2012, 10:22 AM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I'm sorry, but that's just a damn good looking car. I honestly don't understand what the people who are complaining about the 991's looks are talking about....
+1, on the 993 board, they are now claiming that even in real life, it looks like an Aston Martin. What?!

Love the silver, classic look. Good think you didn't listen to your wife, don't make a habit of it though.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:00 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by texas911
+1, on the 993 board, they are now claiming that even in real life, it looks like an Aston Martin. What?!

Love the silver, classic look. Good think you didn't listen to your wife, don't make a habit of it though.
Do any of you that are thinking of getting a 991 care what someone else thinks? If you and the person you need to approve the purchase like it that is all that matters.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:27 PM
texas911
Race Car

Originally Posted by roberga
Do any of you that are thinking of getting a 991 care what someone else thinks? If you and the person you need to approve the purchase like it that is all that matters.
What? Approval? Don't know what you are talking about, just making fun of the ridiculous things, and mostly false, say about the 991. Am not currently in the market for a new Porsche.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:01 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by texas911

That's OK, just consider the source. The 993 fanatics have been diagnosed with a severe case of myopia.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:13 PM
PocoLoco
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by emode
The car is currently in the shop having paint protection film installed (Xpel Ultimate full hood and fenders) so I can't take any photos of the interior or seats at the moment. Regarding the manual sport plus seats, they work well and I'm not regretting foregoing the adaptives. Fore and aft adjustments are made via a handle under the right side of each seat and seat height and backrest adjustments are power- see the scan below from the owner's manual.
Stunning car! Congrats.

How's the Xpel film look? As a novice let me ask: is it worth doing the whole hood as opposed to just the front nose section for stone chips etc?...
Old 02-18-2012, 08:19 PM
emode
Track Day

Originally Posted by PocoLoco
Stunning car! Congrats.

How's the Xpel film look? As a novice let me ask: is it worth doing the whole hood as opposed to just the front nose section for stone chips etc?...
The Xpel Ultimate looks great on the car- really hard to tell there's anything there. Where possible, they wrapped the edges so there are no gaps but in a few areas like around the headlights you can see the interface between the film and the paint (see photo below). I'm glad I went with the full hood and fenders because I really don't like the big seam you get with partial hood applications. Also, I've read some other posters say they've gotten rock chips above the partial application (this is probably rare though). My installer had material left over so he even covered the A-pillars and leading edge of the roof as a bonus.

As you can see, I put clear side markers on the car (thanks Suncoast)- much better than the stock oranges ones.

I'm also attaching a couple photos of the interior and seats for those who were interested.
Attached Images     
Old 02-19-2012, 12:07 AM
ctporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great looking car! Thanks for posting pictures of the seats. Do you find them very comfortable? I was debating going with the adaptives for the front extenders, but perhaps not necessary.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:08 AM
PocoLoco
Intermediate

Great pictures and thanks for the update on the film. I'm very tempted to follow suit when mine arrives. Did you get it specially detailed in any way pre-application?

Is the texture of it identical to the non-film paint?

Feel free to post more pics!
Old 02-19-2012, 02:17 PM
emode
Track Day

Originally Posted by ctporsche
Great looking car! Thanks for posting pictures of the seats. Do you find them very comfortable? I was debating going with the adaptives for the front extenders, but perhaps not necessary.
After about a week with the car, I find the sport plus seats very comfortable- the upper 'wings' are angled just right to give snug lateral shoulder support without feeling overly restrictive. I'm sure the adaptives are fantastic, but I don't miss not having the extenders- the seat base is already pretty long. For me (5'11"), there's only about 1" between the end of the seat and the inner bend of my knee. I would have gone with adaptives but I was trying to keep the car under 120k.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:30 PM
emode
Track Day

Great pictures and thanks for the update on the film. I'm very tempted to follow suit when mine arrives. Did you get it specially detailed in any way pre-application?

Is the texture of it identical to the non-film paint?

Feel free to post more pics!
The car was only a few days old when I had the PPF installed so I didn't have it detailed beforehand. Interestingly, the installer told me they wash the car anyway before applying the film.

The texture of the film is nearly identical to the paint/clear-coat. If you really look hard, the film is a tad smoother and glossier than the paint but this is extremely subtle. I took a picture of the most obvious transition area where the A-pillar coverage ends above the door. This is the right side of the car so the covered A-pillar is on the right and the native paint is on the left. Notice also in the background the leading edge of the roof covered with the film vs the sunroof without coverage.

Overall, I'm very happy with the film and it certainly provides peace of mind.
Attached Images  
Old 02-19-2012, 03:16 PM
WSH
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 69 Posts

Beautiful car !!
Love the spoiler lip and lower stance

Re: Clear bra: May I suggest (if you haven't done it already) to have your installer make a piece that covers the entire rocker and qtr panel in front of rear wheel. I had my local guy (David Dearing at Speedfilm) install this on both my 07 GT3 and '11RS. Piece starts inside front wheel, covers entire rocker then goes up qtr panel. Tucks below rocker, in door jamb and rear wheel well so only visible line is a horizontal from door handle to rear wheel arch. You will get MUCH more damage in this area then the entire front of car.

Again, congrats !

wsh
Old 02-19-2012, 06:44 PM
PocoLoco
Intermediate

emode - fantastic setup and thanks for the update (and pic) on the film. Surprised you had the A-pillars done also. Did you cover the rear also?

WSH - sorry to ask what may be a dumb question, what's a "rocker"? Interesting about the strip you added, but does it not look out of place versus the whole door and side spoiler/lip being covered? Also, dont Porsche already cover this front-of-rear-wheel area on the 991? (at least they did on the GTS)
Old 02-19-2012, 07:13 PM
WSH
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 69 Posts

emode - fantastic setup and thanks for the update (and pic) on the film. Surprised you had the A-pillars done also. Did you cover the rear also?

WSH - sorry to ask what may be a dumb question, what's a "rocker"? Interesting about the strip you added, but does it not look out of place versus the whole door and side spoiler/lip being covered? Also, dont Porsche already cover this front-of-rear-wheel area on the 991? (at least they did on the GTS)
Good question
Porsche does cover PART of the rear qtr (between door and rear wheel) but misses a lot...I've seen many cars with a LOT of chips in the 4-5" above the factory piece.

By "Rocker" I mean the rocker panel, strip below the door. My guy custom cut a piece that wraps inside the front wheel well, covers the whole rocker panel (tucking under the rocker and in door jamb) then up the qtr panel with a horizontal line from the door handle to the rear fender well, thus only 1 exposed line. Unwrapped cars I've seen have more chips there than on the front end.

Hope this helps

wsh
Old 02-19-2012, 07:37 PM
PocoLoco
Intermediate

Sure does - thanks.

Happy with your PPF? Xpel Ultimate also?

Quick Reply: Took delivery of 991 with Sport PASM/-20