Impressions on the new 991: the eye, the road and the track

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 11:47 AM
joelpirela
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Impressions on the new 991: the eye, the road and the track

First meet.

The car appears bigger in any proportion against the old 997. Wider, longer, the wheels look bigger, the trunk is huge. The back end is where you are going to experience this extra size. Big hips hugging the back end. The overall feel of the car is a more luxurious interaction. Materials seems higher quality, construction and craftsmanship are top notch. All lines are perfects, all gaps are even. The dashboard brings the now familiar layout with the addition of the LCD display next to the tach. The center console moves the shift **** higher, which is a plus and the feel you get once you sit on the driver's seat is of a total control and you feel hugged by the seats. Plenty of head room, in part for the use of the external sunroof. The back seat, still spartan and cramped.

The S comes with HUGE 6 piston brakes up fronts. and the external mirrors, while looking big on the pictures, in reality, they are not that big. maybe is because of the angle of placement.

Test drive, public road

The non PSE, PDK equipped car is "fun" to drive. I still like to have 3 pedals on the floorboard but that was the only trim available for launch cars. My Porsche guy told me to "let it rip, the ticket is going to be yours and not mine". With that encouragement and trying to avoid Coral Gables PD, we proceed to drive it like you stole it. To top it off, the car was race yellow. (really sad they killed the speed yellow version as this yellow is a little bit brighter, more like a Ferrari yellow).
The sound of the car is intoxicating. Managing sound technology that directs intake sound to the cabin, (great idea! I think the new Miata has that too) you get this PSE sound at all rev range. no drone, just pure joy. The car is pretty fast and the PDK in manual mode is "ok" but no manual. Just put it in "D" and go. The throttle blip when downshifting is a big smile inducing procedure!
The little roads between the dealership and the University of Miami where no match for this beast.
The car handles like it is on rails and the electric steering system doesn't seem intrusive at all. I actually didn't notice any difference with the regular system but that was maybe because of the excitement.

One day at the track.

I was invited by PCNA and The Collection to an "Undercover" event at the Miami Homestead Speedway on Thursday. One day of tracks events and Autocross behind the wheel of this great automobile.
I'm really looking forward to that day and I will update this post with my findings, since I think that this car was made for the track.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:52 PM
gomarlins3
Instructor

Stunning!! Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:43 PM
VELOCITY 997
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, for the nice first impressions. The car looks great. Did you have a chance to drive the 7 Speed Manual Transmission Trim ?
Old 02-05-2012, 04:29 PM
packwest
Advanced

Joel,
Nice write up. Here are my impressions, which echo much of what you wrote.

Driving Impression: The new electro-steering is only noticeable at low speeds, particularly as you do a complete turning radius. Otherwise, it is negligible at highway speed. Steering feels ligher, which I didn't like. It didn't make you feel like you were taming a wild beast. I do miss feeling the bumps and all the feedbacks you get but this is personal taste more than anything.

On fast corners, the handling was "uneventful". Again, this could be a good or bad thing, depending on how your style. For me, the turns were mechanically precise but emotionally numb, if that makes any sense.

Acceleration was faster, and the drive up a mountain road was easy. I tried to break traction several times, and no-can-do.

PDK (Disclaimer: this was my first time driving a PDK): Very very very disappointed in it. Without sport chrono, the lag was terrible. I floored it several times, and had to wait...wait...wait. With sport plus, it made all the difference. However, you shouldn't have to spend an extra $3k just to make it acceptable. it should be awesome out of the package, and it wasn't. Don't bother using the shifters. Just put it in D and go. Suffice to say, I'll be getting the manual, 100% sure.

PSE: Still not convinced this $3k option is worth it.

Brakes: Superb, but a little jittery under braking on a descend.

Handling: Better handling, feels lighter than the 997. However, I miss the feeling of having to "work for it".

Exterior: It is a wider and lower stance. The wider front end makes the car look more proportionate relative to the rear, which in turn doesn't exxagerate the rear as much. 20" tires looked great, and didn't look too big. The sunroof was aweful. Such a huge cut in metal for so little space gained. Not worth it, in terms of asthetics practicality and cost.

I personally like the rear end re-work. It's lower, and not as exaggerated. Love the lights.

The spoiler is wider and more proportinate to the rear. When raised, the spoiler exposed a huge open crevace that wasn't too pretty. Wish they did a better job here.

Interior: Light years improved in quality. The feel of the buttons were a bit flimsy however. Backseat again is non-existence. Wish Porsche would do away with these, and make storage out of the space. Leather quality was top notch. Love the alcantera roof liner.

Conclusion: A more civil car that lost some of its brutality and bi-polar personality. A great daily driver, but hard core enthusiasts may be detracted from it. It doesn't demand much from you, and hence isn't as rewarding when you get it right. Still, it is a better car mechanically and technologically.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:05 PM
joelpirela
Racer

Thanks for the kind words... they didn't have a manual transmission available. They will have some by the end of march. For me, a PDK is a deal breaker. I need a manual car.

This is one car that will make the 996 feel/look very obsolete and aged but the 997 still feel fresh compared side to side next to a 991
Old 02-05-2012, 05:06 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by packwest
I tried to break traction several times, and no-can-do.

PDK. Without sport chrono, the lag was terrible. I floored it several times, and had to wait...wait...wait.
I drove a 991 without Sport Chrono and found PDK to be lively and immediate in "Sport" but with noticeable "gear holding" (not lag) when Sport was turned off. I like the strength of the engine in 5th gear to adjust from 50 to 80 mph with ample throttle and without a pre-emptive downshift.

If you actually "floored" the throttle pedal, this would depress the downshift button under the pedal and cause the car to downshift instantaneously, so when you were "flooring" the pedal, you were still not asking the car to change gears until you pushed (and can feel) the downshift button depress. This button will also cause the car to hold a lower gear and not up-shift in Sport Plus mode.

Still, a downshift was seamless and instantaneous in Sport or when tapping the buttons. PDK has improved over the 997.2 S where I found it to be already very good, but flawed (in the already well-documented ways.) I can only suggest getting an hour of seat time with PDK to become proficient in using it.

The two things missing from PDK are:

1. hold both upshift to engage neutral (for coasting to a halt at red lights and separately, if engaged, to tell the stop-start engine control to do its thing.)

2. select an upshift with the buttons/paddles in top gear to revert from "manual" to "drive" mode assuming the gear selector is in "D."

As for traction, in the Carrera S, with PSM off, it would break traction on excellent freeway ramps in 2nd or 3rd gear with a steady advance of the throttle. The transition to oversteer was marvelously continuous. Easing out of the throttle made for an easy return to sanity without the pendulum swinging into understeer.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:56 PM
packwest
Advanced

Thanks for the tip. This was my first time with a PDK. I'm sure I can't shift as fast as a PDK, but I did feel a little disconnected without having the ability to row my own gears. The girlfriend is pushing for the PDK so she can drive it. But like Joel said, it's a deal breaker. Year, I'll get beat at a standing start eact time, but who cares There's something primal about shifting and having a 3rd pedal.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:02 PM
VELOCITY 997
Advanced

Originally Posted by joelpirela
Thanks for the kind words... they didn't have a manual transmission available. They will have some by the end of march. For me, a PDK is a deal breaker. I need a manual car.

This is one car that will make the 996 feel/look very obsolete and aged but the 997 still feel fresh compared side to side next to a 991
I agree with you completely.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:28 PM
Rushman71
Instructor

The PDK "lag" is a result of EU and U.S. emissions standards. It always defaults to this efficiency mode. Over the years I have gotten used to the routine of having to engage the proper mode every time I get in a car. When we got one of the first 350Zs in the nation and hadn't broken the ECU code before taking it racing, we had a note right on the steering wheel to remind us every session to deactivate the nannies.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:43 PM
appdevman
3rd Gear

I agree with you guys on 99.9% of all your points.

As an added point, I didnt like the badge on the back - too much verbiage. I realize a new model suggests certain new, different things - but as a 997.1 owner, I really dont like all the words on that badge.

Lastly, I watched the sunroof mechanics from being outside, while a different person was in the car with the dealer. I also do not like how it works. The entire panel pops out upwards, the moves back/forth. From looking at it, it seems far less aerodynamic than how my 997.1 works [panel sliding inside the roofline]. I understand if you are racing or doing AutoX, you wont have it open anyway - but still - it looks like the panel will tear off in the harsh wind drag if at not-slow speeds!

Bottom line after a test drive of PDK and seeing all the details: manual tranny 997.2 is still my favorite C2S.

Cheers.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:36 PM
WSH
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 69 Posts

I drove one today...loaded with full leather, sport chrono etc

I found PDK (again with SC thus Sport plus mode) to be great...I was 99% sure I would want manual but now 50/50. Shifts at WOT in Sport plus are downright harsh, really snaps your neck. And the throttle blip on decel is nice.

A note to post #10 above re:sunroof--one nice feature I found is that it did NOT have the buffetting/noise when open as on my 996 &997 sunroof cars. You can comfortably drive with sunroof fully open and windows completely closed.

Other impressions similar to all above...car is bigger but feels lighter, steering is a non-issue and build quality, particularly the interior, is great

wsh
Old 02-06-2012, 09:54 PM
maverick
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default weekend with the 991 Carrera S

Well I had the opportunity to spend the whole weekend driving the 991. I had read a lot about it in magazines and on the web, have looked at spy pictures and finally magazine and auto show pictures. Then came the chance to have one for the weekend and really get to grips with it.
In the looks department its much more aesthetically pleasing than the pictures show, the rear lights that look small and disproportionate in print are just right for the car in person. The doors are amazing...when you close them both in and out the solidness(is that a word) is remarkable. Inside the cockpit the new "flying buttress" center console rises to meet you and all buttons and switches fall easily to hand. Odd there is no "dual" setting for the climate control you have to adjust both sides individually.
The center dash and passenger side is rather plain, (maybe the launch car with no extras) doesn't really jump at you...... could be any car really.
This car had the PDK, I'm old fashioned and like the manual, but have to say it is very efficient and by the end of the weekend have decided i could live with this option for city driving. In non sport mode it runs quickly through the gears doesn't stay long in any one which i felt was a bit of an"economy' play.
Launch control.......ah well yes.....in a word....unflippinbelivable (its a word look it up)
Sound from the (designed rear firewall sound tubes) engine/exhaust piped in when in sport mode....WOT.....auditory copulation
Handling is great, with the wider front track and longer wheel base it corners so flat its almost to clinical....you feel like you are going half the speed you are...and i"m no Jensen Button! Road feel is very good, this car had the pwr steering plus which has the electric assist and at speed firms up and in parking makes it soooooo easy.
Acceleration is very good,(my calibration level is a little off, 997T w 580 awhp) and effortless.
The trunk is much bigger deeper and wider and overall fit and finish is great. Not sure you get any more room in the back...still a zone for munchkins and the visibility is about the same as the 997.
Not a petrol head car as you literally cant see the engine(think its a plot to lull us into excepting electric future cars with no engine worth looking at.
All in all i would buy one today and drive it every day........its just that good.
Attached Images     
Old 02-06-2012, 09:59 PM
Rushman71
Instructor

Originally Posted by maverick
Well I had the opportunity to spend the whole weekend driving the 991. I had read a lot about it in magazines and on the web, have looked at spy pictures and finally magazine and auto show pictures. Then came the chance to have one for the weekend and really get to grips with it.
In the looks department its much more aesthetically pleasing than the pictures show, the rear lights that look small and disproportionate in print are just right for the car in person. The doors are amazing...when you close them both in and out the solidness(is that a word) is remarkable. Inside the cockpit the new "flying buttress" center console rises to meet you and all buttons and switches fall easily to hand. Odd there is no "dual" setting for the climate control you have to adjust both sides individually.
The center dash and passenger side is rather plain, (maybe the launch car with no extras) doesn't really jump at you...... could be any car really.
This car had the PDK, I'm old fashioned and like the manual, but have to say it is very efficient and by the end of the weekend have decided i could live with this option for city driving. In non sport mode it runs quickly through the gears doesn't stay long in any one which i felt was a bit of an"economy' play.
Launch control.......ah well yes.....in a word....unflippinbelivable (its a word look it up)
Sound from the (designed rear firewall sound tubes) engine/exhaust piped in when in sport mode....WOT.....auditory copulation
Handeling is great, with the wider front track and longer wheel base it corners so flat its almost to clinical....you feel like you are going half the speed you are...and i"m no Jensen Button! Road feel is very good, this car had the pwr steering plus which has the electric assist and at speed firms up and in parking makes it soooooo easy.
Acceleration is very good,(my calibration level is a little off, 997T w 580 awhp) and effortless.
The trunk is much bigger deeper and wider and overall fit and finish is great. Not sure you get any more room in the back...still a zone for munchkins and the visibility is about the same as the 997.
Not a petrol head car as you literally cant see the engine(think its a plot to lull us into excepting electric future cars with no engine worth looking at.
All in all i would buy one today and drive it every day........its just that good.
Awesome honest comparison and review. Thank you sir!
Old 02-06-2012, 11:56 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Andrew, did yours have the regular exhaust?
Old 02-07-2012, 02:46 AM
hlee1169
Pro

Thanks for the great review, Andrew. Envious of you having a 991 for a whole weekend.

Quick Reply: Impressions on the new 991: the eye, the road and the track