Feb Motor Trend: 991 GTS Possible

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 08:13 PM
unclejosh
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Feb Motor Trend: 991 GTS Possible

Guys,

Motor Trend suggests the possibility of a 991 GTS at the end of the article.

They worship the 991 as they should (no surprise), and use the 997 GTS to compare it to - the 997 GTS still puts up some respectable numbers.

A 991 GTS may be in the cards for me aftet I put more miles on my 997 GTS which I really enjoy.

Have fun drivin!

UJ
Old 01-08-2012, 09:04 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Motor Trend has no more of an idea than we do what PAG will create with the 991. The GTS, although an excellent car, was essentially a parts bin special created to help clear some 997 stuff off the shelves. That made for a wonderful car and a value when comparing to the 911S. I wouldn't expect another until the end of the 991 cycle or pre-facelift. With that said, I can/we can only speculate, which is just what MT is doing.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:10 PM
unclejosh
Rennlist Member

Hello 911Dev,

The "parts bin" GTS formula has been quite successful, and seems to have filled a niche between the S and the GT3. Since Porsche likes to make money, they might offer the GTS again.

I would guess that since MT is a commercially successful rag with some pedigree thay might know some folks at PAG who would know, so maybe its not just idle speculation, hell, I don't know, that's for sure.

Where are you in upsate NY and what ya drivin P-car wise?

I lived in Ithaca for 5 years.

UJ
Old 01-08-2012, 11:29 PM
911dev
Drifting

Originally Posted by unclejosh
Hello 911Dev,

The "parts bin" GTS formula has been quite successful, and seems to have filled a niche between the S and the GT3. Since Porsche likes to make money, they might offer the GTS again.

I would guess that since MT is a commercially successful rag with some pedigree thay might know some folks at PAG who would know, so maybe its not just idle speculation, hell, I don't know, that's for sure.

Where are you in upsate NY and what ya drivin P-car wise?

UJ

Hey ~ parts bin cars are typically the best and last of the bunch. I love what Porsche did with the 911S by making it the GTS. I hope they make it again. Not so sure about the mags having any insider info.

Near Syracuse. gt3 which is presently stored away for winter.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:41 PM
unclejosh
Rennlist Member

Ahh, the Finger Lakes in Fall and all those colors and maple syrup

And a mission to the Dinosaur BBQ......

The GT3 m ust be a lot of fun up there.

Regards,

UJ
Old 01-09-2012, 01:35 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

obviously they will make base, base awd, S and S AWD,... then when sales decline theyll offer a targa and a turbo... then GT3 and GT3RS, maybe GT2, then...... when sales decline a face lift.... and then later on when sales decline more a "faster" version like GTS and maybe even some "black edition" or other random model to use excess parts...

its all about making money, most brands release the expensive ones first to get the most money they can but 911 always does the turbo after 2 years... i guess they want people to jump up the model range.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:01 AM
911dev
Drifting

Originally Posted by rijowysock
obviously they will make base, base awd, S and S AWD,... then when sales decline theyll offer a targa and a turbo... then GT3 and GT3RS, maybe GT2, then...... when sales decline a face lift.... and then later on when sales decline more a "faster" version like GTS and maybe even some "black edition" or other random model to use excess parts...

its all about making money, most brands release the expensive ones first to get the most money they can but 911 always does the turbo after 2 years... i guess they want people to jump up the model range.
exactly.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:03 AM
911dev
Drifting

Ahh, the Finger Lakes in Fall and all those colors and maple syrup

And a mission to the Dinosaur BBQ......

The GT3 m ust be a lot of fun up there.

Regards,

UJ
Dinosaur isn't as good as it once was.

We do have some fabulous roads where the gt3 shines. It's the snow that sucks!
Old 01-09-2012, 10:37 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,018 Likes on 612 Posts

Hello 911Dev,

UJ
Cornell, IC or work? My son got his BA at Cornell & should finish his PhD in P Chem there next year. So, we have be there a few times a year since '04. Didn't care for the place at first, but it has grown on us. Love Wegman's, Northside Beverage and The Piggery...
Old 01-09-2012, 06:25 PM
JasonNY
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey 991dev, i'm in Fayetteville. I think I probably saw you driving around last summer (can't imagine too many of them running around here). You deal with Lee Smith at Burdick? Nice to see other CNY'ers on here.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:49 AM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Porsche might have used the "parts bin" but its not like they had extra parts lying around. They are a just in time factory, which mean very little actual stock of anything.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:04 AM
unclejosh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by texas911
Porsche might have used the "parts bin" but its not like they had extra parts lying around. They are a just in time factory, which mean very little actual stock of anything.
Texas911-Thanks for pointing out this overlooked yet obvious point. This was front and center during my Porsche factory visit a couple years back.

Where are you in TX? Houston rains were shocking.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:53 PM
911dev
Drifting

Originally Posted by texas911
Sure, no offense intended to any GTS owners. I have stated how great I think that car is. If I was shopping for 911S contemporaneously with the GTS offering, I'd have gone that route. I use the term "parts bin" loosely, but it is what it is. That does not take anything from the car. With that said, I do not understand how some people inaccurately believe the GTS is basically a more street-able GT3. The GTS is a 911S w/PK and wide hips with its roots as a 911S and shares nothing in common with the gt3. It really doesn't fill any void unless a self-proclaimed one defined by Porsche. These days Porsche has defined many voids evidenced by the abundance of new models. You could have bought a 911S and added the PK (as stated) and have the same performance as the GTS. The GTS would still have wider hips and a few incidentals inside and be a better value than the "plain" 911S, but it would still basically be a 911S. The only reason Porsche built one was because they were near the model end, otherwise it would have cannibalized 911S sales. The same reason that the turbo S doesn't arrive until model end.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:03 PM
911dev
Drifting

Originally Posted by JasonNY
Hey 991dev, i'm in Fayetteville. I think I probably saw you driving around last summer (can't imagine too many of them running around here). You deal with Lee Smith at Burdick? Nice to see other CNY'ers on here.
Yes and yes. Have we met? I can usually be found in the company of a sweet grey RS.

Quick Reply: Feb Motor Trend: 991 GTS Possible