Sponsored by:

It will be a long 4 months

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2011 | 07:04 PM
GoTexas
Instructor

Default It will be a long 4 months

Hello all,

I finally pulled the triggered on a 991 yesterday. This car is my wife's birthday present. She's currently driving an E500 (her BD present 7 years ago), and loves German cars. As for me, I don't think I will ever get anything other than a Lexus...but, it could change after getting to "borrow" her future car for the weekends

Here are our order specs...

* Carrera S
* Racing yellow exterior
* Beige interior

Options:
* Burmester audio pkg
* Premium Plus Pkg
* Sport Exhaust
* PDK

I want to get the full leather pkg, but dang with just those few options, I can already buy two Lexus. But, hopefully, this car will bring me twice the fun. I am betting it will since my smile was ear to ear on the test drive (2011 model). Which brings to my first question. When I stepped on the gas, it seems like the engine revs, but there's a slight delay before the car got going. I am thinking that's how Porsche designed it to build more torque down low. It almost felt like the PDK was slipping. Can someone confirm this is normal?

But, I digress, they told us that it would be built in Jan, and we would take delivery in Feb '12. Needless to say, it will be a long 4 months.

I am hoping to learn a lot, and hopefully contribute some back to this forum.

Kevin
Old 11-13-2011 | 07:28 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

yellow on tan, never seen the combo before.... any pics on what sold you on the combo.
Old 11-13-2011 | 08:31 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

It sounds more like you're getting the car for you. If that's the case, I would come clean and buy her something else (S-class?). Big diff between the 991 and E500; but you & your wife probably know that. You might also consider skipping the leather and using the money for an Euro delivery (points with the wife). Cheers.
Old 11-13-2011 | 08:49 PM
GoTexas
Instructor

Tan on yellow probably would be the first, but that's her personal preference. My GS is a black on black and she thinks the interior is too dark.

I wanted to get her the S class but she only wants the P car now. I warned her abt the difference btw the cars so thats why i made sure that she test drove it.
Old 11-13-2011 | 09:19 PM
kosmo
Race Director

the delay was prob the PDK setting in Normal mode. Try it in sport or sport + mode.
Old 11-13-2011 | 10:14 PM
mrm 930
Racer

You need to get what you an your wife want. Look for advice from people giving you constructive opinions. There are alot of good ideas here. But in the end - it IS what you and your wife want.
Old 11-14-2011 | 07:00 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Kevin,

Sport Chrono is a MUST HAVE with PDK. Do a search on the 997 Forum to discover why.
Old 11-14-2011 | 08:44 AM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Yup it is a very very good idea to add sport chrono or you will be deprived of sport+ and DEMS. Also should get sport design steering and PDCC, but not a must. Sport chrono is.

Don't think you'll need the burmester sound in such a small cabin, stock should be more than adequate.

Black or yachting blue would be alternate interior options that would look good, but that is subjective.
Old 11-14-2011 | 09:11 AM
GoTexas
Instructor

Originally Posted by mrm 930
You need to get what you an your wife want. Look for advice from people giving you constructive opinions. There are alot of good ideas here. But in the end - it IS what you and your wife want.
Totally agreed!

Originally Posted by kosmo
the delay was prob the PDK setting in Normal mode. Try it in sport or sport + mode.
Will try that in Feb!!

Originally Posted by gota911
Kevin,

Sport Chrono is a MUST HAVE with PDK. Do a search on the 997 Forum to discover why.
On the test drive, my wife didn't even rev the engine above 3k RPM. She simply wants the car for looks, not performance.

Originally Posted by aamersa
Yup it is a very very good idea to add sport chrono or you will be deprived of sport+ and DEMS.

Don't think you'll need the burmester sound in such a small cabin, stock should be more than adequate.

Black or yachting blue would be alternate interior options that would look good, but that is subjective.
If we just drive it like a cruiser, then do you think we still need the chrono? The web says it'll improve 0-60 times by .2 of a second, but 4.1 sec is plenty fast for me already.

I agree with you on the burmester stereo, but I want something that's unique, and you get a Bose in a Toyota. Having said that, I might consider removing it, and just go with the Bose upgrade for half the price.
Old 11-14-2011 | 02:03 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

"If we just drive it like a cruiser, then do you think we still need the chrono? The web says it'll improve 0-60 times by .2 of a second, but 4.1 sec is plenty fast for me already."

You'll be quite unique to get a carrera s without sport chrono, and you don't want to be in that position, if nothing else it'll hurt you on resale as it will be considered a neutered vehicle. A base carrera might be a different story where you could skip sport chrono.
Old 11-14-2011 | 08:07 PM
GoTexas
Instructor

Ok, I took everyone's advice, and changed my order where I see fit.

To summarize, I removed the Burmester, and just went with the Bose upgrade. That should be sufficient for the small cabin. I spoke to the salesman, and he said the sport chrono actually comes with a slightly lowered, and stiffer shocks settings for better cornering. But, more importantly, for resale value, I agree that buyers might be looking for this feature.

Old 11-14-2011 | 08:52 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Good move on the Sport Chrono with PDK. You will not regret it. With a manual transmission, SC is not nearly as beneficial.
Old 11-14-2011 | 09:16 PM
jjoey
Intermediate

Why did you choose the 14-way seats, btw? Just curious. I changed my order from 14-way to the 18-way adaptive.
Old 11-14-2011 | 09:25 PM
kosmo
Race Director

what about floor mats? :|
Old 11-14-2011 | 09:31 PM
GoTexas
Instructor

Originally Posted by gota911
Good move on the Sport Chrono with PDK. You will not regret it. With a manual transmission, SC is not nearly as beneficial.
That's exactly what he told me when I asked why it cost more than when added with the std tranny.

Originally Posted by jjoey
Why did you choose the 14-way seats, btw? Just curious. I changed my order from 14-way to the 18-way adaptive.
We don't even need 14-way, but that's the ONLY way to get keyless entry...what a rip off!!! But, if money's no object, then yeah I'd get 100 ways if they make it. Unfortunately, Im already way beyond what I wanted to spend.

Originally Posted by kosmo
what about floor mats? :|
He said it already comes with the car.

Quick Reply: It will be a long 4 months