Sponsored by:

Porsche 991 Press Release In German

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 02:24 AM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MrMetrx
Interessting. Im not a big fan of the center console. Too much like the Panamera. I think I'll stay with my 09' C2S and wait to see if the 4.0 become's standard engine in future models. Anyone have any input on that?
+1

They officially killed the 911 interior design. No resemblance now with the huge center console.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:57 AM
pilfjd
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's with every manufacturer's fascination with shorter greenhouses? I like to see things around me, thanks.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:58 AM
Bijan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The paddles on the PDK look like buttons ?
Old 08-24-2011, 07:34 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 265 Posts

To me there's something wrong with the front lights and the rear end too. Not too crazy about the badge.......and I don't like the interior!

Face it...we're stuck! What's the other choice? I'm sure the engine and performance are wonderful....no compettition as far as I can see.

Tom
Old 08-24-2011, 10:05 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by Mspeedster
Funny how everyone loves the classic air cooled 911s and with each new release there are cries that Porsche has messed up the 911. But in terms of actual sales and profit, the water cooled era has been a much greater success for Porsche.
Of course they sell in bigger numbers, they appeal to a bigger audience. Sadly, to some, you get all of the image/prestige, and very little of the sacrifice necessary to own the more archaic early cars.

They are bigger, slightly more practical, have much improved hvac systems, bunch more gadgetry, more comfortable, etc.

I know many will take offense to this, but to drive a pre-964 911 is not always comfortable. If you're hardcore, you can use it as a daily driver, but most use them as occasional cars for sporting driving only.

the newer cars are as easy to drive as a camry.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:11 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Anyone notice how the head light washers are not aligned with anything and the driving lights look cut off at the corner
Old 08-24-2011, 07:55 PM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

Whats the usual mid life refresh time frame? 3/3.5 years? Maybe they will key in on some of the things the crowds will provide feedback on...
Old 08-24-2011, 10:46 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Looks like they improved/changed the key fob. That's all I need-I'm in.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:10 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ADias
Just ponder this new sunroof:

Wonder if there will ever be a prayer for sunroof delete? Also, if the crappy buttons will be better quality? One can only hope.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:09 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think the center console will be a central design que for many years to come. There was an article in a p magazine a few months ago.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:15 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by boolala
The press release stipulates that the inspiration for the upsloping center console was the Carrera GT's interior. The idea is to have the shifter and steering wheel as close together as possible. However as we all know the Carrera GT is not a "real sports car." Not to mention the fact that the Carrera GT has a wooden shift **** and no one driving a "sports car" would want the interior to look like a yacht, would they? [/sarcasm off]

I think that the interior is a great improvement. I also like everything on the outside with the exception of the overly busy script on the back. I'm sure it can be factory deleted. I wish the tail lights were more like the 997.2 version but that's a small objection in the grand scale of things. It promises to be faster, better handling and more fuel efficient than the previous version.
Yes indeed the wheel and shifter are closer to gether in motorsports. So its interesting to see this given the move towards paddles.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:23 PM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Alstoy
Wonder if there will ever be a prayer for sunroof delete? Also, if the crappy buttons will be better quality? One can only hope.
This opening is small compared to the targa opening.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:23 AM
porscheprestige
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by MrMetrx
Interessting. Im not a big fan of the center console. Too much like the Panamera. I think I'll stay with my 09' C2S and wait to see if the 4.0 become's standard engine in future models. Anyone have any input on that?
Why not like the Carrera GT ?
Old 11-15-2011, 02:20 PM
Speeds2Much
Track Day

Default Great Changes on an Iconic Sports Car

Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
Party is indeed over. It'a not that the interior is not good, (in fact it is stunning) it just belongs in a luxury sport sedan or a sport SUV and not in an timeless and iconic sports car. The PDCC and PTV will be a great addition but not so much the noise and thermal insulated glass, Burmester, (the usual cash cows for Porsche) which again transforms it to a GT. The rear overhang is certainly there but is not very noticeable.
When the 997 first hit Porsche showrooms, I rushed out to drive one and came away with a strong impression: this car does not feel right to me. It was a huge disappointment, so I bought a BMW. Porsche engineers, having heard complaints from purists that the 996 was too refined and had lost its raw sports car appeal, dialed in massive amounts of rumble, shake and vibration as if to say "there, is THAT what you wanted?" Stepping into a modern 911 for the first time, I was flabbergasted. A sophisticated German sports car with a price approaching $100,000 and it feels like a 1970 muscle car at idle? After decades of 911 progress, this is the result?

But I pressed on with the test drive, having always wanted to drive a 911. The car was surprisingly noisy on the highway, reminding me of an economy car, and engine sound at full throttled was shrill; the sound literally hurt my ears and sounded metallic on the inside of this coupe. It sounded as if there was little or no insulation in the car, which I would completely understand in the all-out GT3 but not in a base 911 coupe. The noise, vibration and harshness might have been acceptable if the car had wrapped around me like a glove and drove beautifully, but it didn't. The car bobbed up and down the highway at 65 mph like a speedboat in choppy waters. I didn't WANT to go any faster because it didn't feel right to me: the suspension was far too soft and unsorted for my tastes. I asked the salesman whether the car came with a sport suspension and he said no, that's only in Europe. Again, I was in disbelief. The steering was laser sharp and linear, but because the car bounced around so much, I never felt confident in finding a line. The car was also very quick and responsive. No complaints there.

The refinements rolled out this year are exciting and right up my alley. Sorry, but I don't want to drive a pure race car on the streets day-to-day, and isn't the 911 mission to provide a day-to-day car that you can track on the weekend if you so choose? I wasn't even born when the 911 first arrived on the scene so nostalgia doesn't mean anything to me on this car. For my $100,000, I want sound insulated glass, a high-end stereo, balance and sophistication. Moving the engine over the rear axle was a good decision even though the 911 began its rein as basically a converted VW bug. If Porsche moved the engine a little forward of the rear axle, even better in my book. I don't want something pure and original to the point of crude. Don't get me wrong; I don't mean to be harsh. I respect the 997 and its capabilities in the hands of a professional, but even though I'm an excellent driver, I'm no Al Holbert. Nor do I want to be. I have businesses to run and many other interests besides driving.

I've never read a single car magazine point out these 911 flaws as I've laid them out, but kudos to Porsche for recognizing that it was time to bring the 911 into the 21st century. Can't wait to drive the new 991 in two years when I'm in the market for an all-wheel drive cab!
Old 11-15-2011, 03:26 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by Speeds2Much
When the 997 first hit Porsche showrooms, I rushed out to drive one and came away with a strong impression: this car does not feel right to me. It was a huge disappointment, so I bought a BMW. Porsche engineers, having heard complaints from purists that the 996 was too refined and had lost its raw sports car appeal, dialed in massive amounts of rumble, shake and vibration as if to say "there, is THAT what you wanted?" Stepping into a modern 911 for the first time, I was flabbergasted. A sophisticated German sports car with a price approaching $100,000 and it feels like a 1970 muscle car at idle? After decades of 911 progress, this is the result?

But I pressed on with the test drive, having always wanted to drive a 911. The car was surprisingly noisy on the highway, reminding me of an economy car, and engine sound at full throttled was shrill; the sound literally hurt my ears and sounded metallic on the inside of this coupe. It sounded as if there was little or no insulation in the car, which I would completely understand in the all-out GT3 but not in a base 911 coupe. The noise, vibration and harshness might have been acceptable if the car had wrapped around me like a glove and drove beautifully, but it didn't. The car bobbed up and down the highway at 65 mph like a speedboat in choppy waters. I didn't WANT to go any faster because it didn't feel right to me: the suspension was far too soft and unsorted for my tastes. I asked the salesman whether the car came with a sport suspension and he said no, that's only in Europe. Again, I was in disbelief. The steering was laser sharp and linear, but because the car bounced around so much, I never felt confident in finding a line. The car was also very quick and responsive. No complaints there.

The refinements rolled out this year are exciting and right up my alley. Sorry, but I don't want to drive a pure race car on the streets day-to-day, and isn't the 911 mission to provide a day-to-day car that you can track on the weekend if you so choose? I wasn't even born when the 911 first arrived on the scene so nostalgia doesn't mean anything to me on this car. For my $100,000, I want sound insulated glass, a high-end stereo, balance and sophistication. Moving the engine over the rear axle was a good decision even though the 911 began its rein as basically a converted VW bug. If Porsche moved the engine a little forward of the rear axle, even better in my book. I don't want something pure and original to the point of crude. Don't get me wrong; I don't mean to be harsh. I respect the 997 and its capabilities in the hands of a professional, but even though I'm an excellent driver, I'm no Al Holbert. Nor do I want to be. I have businesses to run and many other interests besides driving.

I've never read a single car magazine point out these 911 flaws as I've laid them out, but kudos to Porsche for recognizing that it was time to bring the 911 into the 21st century. Can't wait to drive the new 991 in two years when I'm in the market for an all-wheel drive cab!
Flaws to you are virtues to others.

As I said... PAG knows its new customers, therefore the 991.

Quick Reply: Porsche 991 Press Release In German