Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 911 leaked

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 07:03 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The definitions of sport cars and GT cars are changing. Thats for sure.
the 458 and the Aventador vs their predecessors are good examples.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:06 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

No doubt I am biased. However, I made the conscious decsion to buy the GTS recently as opposed to getting the 991 because of the dimensional growth and my opinion it seems to be slipping into a Jag/Aston type GT car. I was in no rush to get a new Porsche but wanted the GTS as opposed to the new 991. Deliberate and considered choice on my part.

2" here, 2" there add up. The 991 is clearly and noticably larger.

I also have been turned off by the Panamera interior. Absent that interior I might have waited for the 991.

But as I said I will pass final judgment on my own opinion when I see the car in the flesh. It may win me over when I do see it.

It is a beautiful car. I'm not saying it isn't and again I am sure it will go like stink and be a technical improvement over the 997. It just seems to me it is leaving raw "performance sports car" character behind which was part of being a 911. Thats MHO. You are entitled to YHO.

For all I know I may see the 991 and love it in person and get one in a year or two. I do think in a GT3 version it will look wicked ala' the Aston GT3 series cars seen in the America LeMans Series and FIA. But the current GT3 look wicked too in a more classic way.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:23 PM
Gliding_Serpent
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the new 911 a lot. It is an evolutionary design that moves the car forward both in style and performance. Sure the engine is slowly finding its way forward, the cost continues to creep up, and the car is a little bigger, but it is still petite compared to it's rivals, and these changes are needed to keep up with the competition.

It gets a thumbs up from me. The brand needs to move forward, not stay still. I love the classic Porsche look (think 70's RS), but this car looks great in a modern way. Early Porsche's oozed character, but they were always a little awkward looking. The lines of this car look incredible, while still looking like a 911.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:56 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 191 Posts

EXTERIOR= I like it... doesn't look humpy in back like mine
INTERIOR= does nothing for me.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:30 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
Like someone said. Everything is relative. Ferraris and Lambo always had a longer wheelbase then the 911 I think. They were longer with lower roof lines and more "aerodynamic" in appearance.

I think the 458 and Lambo are supercars. Raw performance cars. They have some comfort amenities but they are still raw exotic performance cars. They are clearly not intended as DDs. The 991 is not an "exotic". It is /was a performance sports car. It in my opinion has crossed over to the luxury performance side ala' Aston, Jag, 650i and the like. The Panamera is a performance sedan and the 991 to me is now the performance coupe with Panamera character and interior.

Unfortunately I think all or alot of cars are headed toward the "luxury" performance category based on what the majority of the public wants. I think luxury performance cars have a larger audience then performance sports cars. Thats where Porsche is headed IMHO...to the larger buying audience.

The pure sports car character of the 911 has been diluted. IMHO the 997 seems the last of the line for pure 911 sports cars before 911 transitioned over line to "luxury performance car side. It may go like stink and handle great but its stepped away from that aggressive stout, stubby, squat bug eyed 911 appearance that was what the 911 was all about...at least for me.

Its now low sleek and luxurious. Is that bad? No. It's just not classic 911.
+100000

Basically the new 911 is built for a totally different (and larger) audience than older 911s. Larger rear seats, less rear-bias, larger, wider, more comfortable, more economical, electric steering wheel, totally PLUSH interior with zillins of buttons and nick nacks for your coffee, coins, etc... It is designed to be an upgrade to an M3 buyer, and to compete with Jag, Aston, M3/M5, AMG basically.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:51 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 79 Posts

Well after seeing the latest pictures, it's not for me. The front is bulkier like the Panamera, same for the rear. The interior is also like the Panamera. Now don't get me wrong the Panamera is a great sedan but let's not have the 911 look like a two door version. Then we have the "badging" on the rear. TOO, TOO much. Some may like it, but not for me. Call me old school I will keep my 997
Old 08-24-2011, 12:54 PM
RF5BPilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would (almost) bet money that some of the front end styling (fancier) and the increased badging in the rear are to attract more new (non-enthusiast) buyers.

If you're buying it to be seen in it, then you want memorable stying (If I'm paying all that money, it ought to make a styling statement !) and better badging so that your non-enthusiast buddies know what you bought.

Quick Reply: 2013 911 leaked