Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More 991's spotted floating around

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 08:51 AM
WSH
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 68 Posts

I like it , makes the 997 look short and tall by comparison (longer wheelbase + lower roofline and shorter overhangs on 991).

I love how people say it's a "GT" yet it is lighter with a longer wheelbase...will ride and handle much better plus be faster due to more hp, less weight. Reminds me of 1969, when the wheelbase was first extended and everyone screamed "That's the end of the real 911 !!".

wsh
Old 08-15-2011, 01:38 PM
Sierra Mike
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bmardini
How exactly does a 7-speed manual supposed to work? I am trying to visualize
There was a picture in one of the magazines where the gear lever was clearly visible. 7th gear is top right.

I think the biggest difference with the 991 is going to be comfort taking it further away from the sports car the 997 is and more towards a GT car which is something skl mentioned above. The instrument binnacle is identical to the latest Cayenne which, personally, I like. The prices will be pushed upwards and Porsche will make bucks on the options list which will be longer than it currently is; just take a look at options for the Panamera and Cayenne. The market is now being dictated by demand from the BRIC countries so we can expect to see this influence more clearly pronounced with every subsequent incarnation of the 911. (God forbid they should offer air suspension!)

I've submitted a letter of intent for an early 991 C2S as I'm sure, no matter what's said about the car, Porsche will once again come up trumps and produce an incredible car. The key question here is, what will they do with the GT3.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:53 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
every time PAG release a new model, owners of existing models slag the new car off - plus ca change plus ca le meme chose (can't do accents on this PC)

R+C
Presque

Plus ça change plus c'est la même chose
Old 08-15-2011, 03:13 PM
Apex GT
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks like they may have a platform in which they can turn the motor and trans around?!
Old 08-15-2011, 03:46 PM
Aerokitted
Pro

Originally Posted by Capt Mojo
I think the biggest difference with the 991 is going to be comfort taking it further away from the sports car the 997 is and more towards a GT car which is something skl mentioned above.
My insignificant 2 euros here

I think this movement started a long time ago. I was amazed at how small the 993TT is in comparison to the water-cooled 911s. It's tiny inside. This was a recent realization for me. People are fatter, safety regs are more stringent, gov cafe standards are a changin'... need to cram more stuff in it.

Porsche's in the business of making money, period. Nothing else really matters more so now than ever before. Sure it's cloaked, quite well, in the gleaming robes of motorsport and expansion into everyday practicality (PanCayenne), but without $s, they don't exist. They revamp their product line to fall in line with what their customers want and with global demand on the rise, it's really cool to witness the crazy expansion of their model line-up. Check out the porsche.com site. Check out future news. Inevitable and already happening at full tilt.

Save for the GT cars, they're all heavier, bigger, and quieter than ever before. I'm fine with this so long as they provide sufficient alternatives for those who desire a more sporting experience. But let it not go unrecognized that the 991 maintains just about the same weight as the outgoing 911 and it continues to offer more power while increasing efficiency by a not so insignificant sum. This is sweet stuff.

PDK is going to fundamentally change the GT3 car more so than the actual engine switch itself, imho. The engine being race-bred and reliable is both a product dev and marketing effort and really should be givens (or let's hope for the best).

I could be completely off base here, but what I know for sure is, it's going to be fun to keep up with the latest news from Stuttgart through sources like rennlist.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:48 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Aerokitted
My insignificant 2 euros here

I think this movement started a long time ago. I was amazed at how small the 993TT is in comparison to the water-cooled 911s. It's tiny inside. This was a recent realization for me. People are fatter, safety regs are more stringent, gov cafe standards are a changin'... need to cram more stuff in it.

Porsche's in the business of making money, period. Nothing else really matters more so now than ever before. Sure it's cloaked, quite well, in the gleaming robes of motorsport and expansion into everyday practicality (PanCayenne), but without $s, they don't exist. They revamp their product line to fall in line with what their customers want and with global demand on the rise, it's really cool to witness the crazy expansion of their model line-up. Check out the porsche.com site. Check out future news. Inevitable and already happening at full tilt.

Save for the GT cars, they're all heavier, bigger, and quieter than ever before. I'm fine with this so long as they provide sufficient alternatives for those who desire a more sporting experience. But let it not go unrecognized that the 991 maintains just about the same weight as the outgoing 911 and it continues to offer more power while increasing efficiency by a not so insignificant sum. This is sweet stuff.

PDK is going to fundamentally change the GT3 car more so than the actual engine switch itself, imho. The engine being race-bred and reliable is both a product dev and marketing effort and really should be givens (or let's hope for the best).

I could be completely off base here, but what I know for sure is, it's going to be fun to keep up with the latest news from Stuttgart through sources like rennlist.
A good part of Porsche's business is also motorsports so they HAVE to be competitive. This direction will help with that (lighter weight and better weight distribution) too.

The next GT cars will be absolutely incredible!
Old 08-16-2011, 12:45 AM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't care what people say... the car looks great, and is lighter, and will be faster.

Nicer interior, bigger=more room, faster, lighter, and more expensive . That will be my next car if I can keep my GTR that long, and PDK for sure... My bet is that the new Carrera S will be as fast as a .2 GT3.

Let's see.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:54 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
I don't care what people say... the car looks great, and is lighter, and will be faster.

Nicer interior, bigger=more room, faster, lighter, and more expensive . That will be my next car if I can keep my GTR that long, and PDK for sure... My bet is that the new Carrera S will be as fast as a .2 GT3.

Let's see.
I agree...with a really good driver a stock 997.2 Carrera S will keep up or can pass a stock 997.1 GT3.

I bet the 991 will be awesome and I could use a little more room for my long legs in the car. The GTx versions will sure to be faster than the current 997 GTx cars.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:26 AM
almeena58
Racer

it looks amazing inside & outside and it will be clear when we get the official launch
Old 08-16-2011, 10:40 PM
jlr
Rennlist Member

Speed won't be that relevant if the mess up the steering, and dumb down the experience. We all know it's a good bet that all iterations will be faster, but what will it feel like? In my experience, most generations lose something from the last, but the GT3s have proved an exception to this rule (at least for me).
Old 08-16-2011, 10:49 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jlr
Speed won't be that relevant if the mess up the steering, and dumb down the experience. We all know it's a good bet that all iterations will be faster, but what will it feel like? In my experience, most generations lose something from the last, but the GT3s have proved an exception to this rule (at least for me).
Well if that was the case, we would probably be driving air cooled porsches, as the big heavy 996 and 997 took place.

That's only one way to know...
Old 08-16-2011, 11:07 PM
jlr
Rennlist Member

Well if that was the case, we would probably be driving air cooled porsches
I've owned my share of air-cooled 911s, and -- in terms of driver involvement -- I'd match a 996 or 997 GT3 against them, but probably no other water-cooler I've driven. I hope the new car, and certainly the GT3, preserves that "aliveness" that some of us cherish, but I am a pessimistic sort. Indeed, we will see.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:56 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

I like the fact that US versions won't have bumperettes.
Old 08-17-2011, 03:43 AM
Nan P
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I think this has some nice sleek looks - slightly lower/longer/lighter weight.
The basic Carrera will probably have undersized wheels & look a little soft, while the Carrera S with its lower suspension & larger wheels should look the part.
I'm interested in the GT versions & the motor/transmission combination; noise & overall feel...
There's no doughting that it will be fast (look at the 2010 911 Turbo with PDK).
Overall Prediction: it will sell like hot cakes!
Old 08-17-2011, 06:13 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wonder what they are gonna do with wheel sizes. If I recall correctly they were talking about 19 standard and 20 optional. What with the gt3 in a couple of years? 20" semislick tires?

Quick Reply: More 991's spotted floating around