Sponsored by:

"911 has become the BMW 5 Series of sports cars"

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 09:16 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
If Porsche does nothing to change the 911 you hear the chorus of negative comments about anachronistic styling, aging platform, lazy design (see JC on Top Gear), etc. If Porsche does make changes you hear the howls from the purists that they are straying from the historic ideal. When a car becomes iconic like the 911, everyone becomes hyper-critical, and Porsche are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

If the pics above are a close representation of the new 991 I'm not displeased. It appears they have walked a reasonable line between tradition and modernization, something they have to do to keep the model viable. And as was pointed out in an earlier post, the car will eventually be available in enough flavors that you will be able to own a high performance DD, a track monster, or something in between.

I've owned several iterations of 911 and this one is certainly readily identifiable as part of the line styling-wise, despite the tweaks. How it drives, of course is cruicial, but if I had to bet money it would be that they get that part right too.
I think the 911 is, in an almost literal sense, becoming what the M5 used to be. The Boxster/Cayman are becoming the pure sports cars the 911 used to be. It's a rather logical evolution, IMHO.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:28 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by sjfehr
I think the 911 is, in an almost literal sense, becoming what the M5 used to be. The Boxster/Cayman are becoming the pure sports cars the 911 used to be. It's a rather logical evolution, IMHO.
It's interesting that you appear to put down the 911. I love Boxsters and Caymans but the 911 is no less pure sports car at least in its current version when compared w/ same gen Boxster/Cayman. Try a lighter S (w/o Bose/Nav/electric seats) on a good track, or even better a GT3 or GT3 RS and report back.

The feeling of a good mid-engine Boxster is terrific, but the feeling of an-all-in-te-rear 911 is special and perhaps not appreciated by all, which is just fine.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:09 AM
zanwar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has the 911 ever been a pure sports car? Hasn't it always been a uniquely designed 2+2 sports coupe? It may have grown in size quite substantially over the years, but it's always been larger, more powerful and better appointed than the "pure" sports cars of the day.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:25 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

Once upon a time the 911 was a GT car--a GRAND TOURING car. Now, it is QUITE the tour! Plush. But that's what the new 911 buyers want. That's why Porsche is building it. Many of you guys who were excited about the 911 growing up, really want that older car. But this is what they are making today. Not all of it is Porsche's fault. The EPA and DOT and E.U. dictate much of what we are seeing today. Someday all cars will look pretty much like well worn bars of soap.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:44 AM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
It's interesting that you appear to put down the 911. I love Boxsters and Caymans but the 911 is no less pure sports car at least in its current version when compared w/ same gen Boxster/Cayman. Try a lighter S (w/o Bose/Nav/electric seats) on a good track, or even better a GT3 or GT3 RS and report back.
I don't mean to put down the 911, it's a great car and has incredible performance and has been king of the hill for decades, and 997 is the culmination of that. The track packages are superb. But Porsche has made certain design choices on the 991 that are questionable from a performance standpoint (and not easily reversed for the track) but make absolutely perfect sense for the luxury performance segment.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:44 AM
2slow2speed
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 67 Posts

I don't mean to put down the 911, it's a great car and has incredible performance and has been king of the hill for decades, and 997 is the culmination of that. The track packages are superb. But Porsche has made certain design choices on the 991 that are questionable from a performance standpoint (and not easily reversed for the track) but make absolutely perfect sense for the luxury performance segment.
Curious to know/understand what are the design choices you are referring to on the 991 that might be questionable for a track oriented vehicle?

Engines? Drivetrain? Chassis? Body? Suspension? Getting rid of the manual ebrake (guess only those folks rallying and drifting would care)?
Old 12-20-2010, 09:38 AM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Alstoy
The cars are growing fatter and softer with us.
but aren't WE too?? (and FTFW btw...)
Old 12-20-2010, 10:12 AM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Once upon a time the 911 was a GT car--a GRAND TOURING car. Now, it is QUITE the tour! Plush. But that's what the new 911 buyers want. That's why Porsche is building it. Many of you guys who were excited about the 911 growing up, really want that older car. But this is what they are making today. Not all of it is Porsche's fault. The EPA and DOT and E.U. dictate much of what we are seeing today. Someday all cars will look pretty much like well worn bars of soap.
Porsche designers have many masters they must answer too... Not only those already mentioned... but coming soon to a showroom near you will be the car designed by the True Master in charge... VW!

Last edited by CWhaley; 12-20-2010 at 12:23 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:29 AM
Putt-Putt
Pro

Received 251 Likes on 121 Posts

I think the engineers are happy to make a bigger 911. Marketing benefits aside, remember where the engine is in the 911. Audi never had the rear-engine engineering hurdle that plagues Porsche. Don't you think Porsche love to unleash their engineers on an affordable R8 killer? Except perhaps they can't, otherwise the Cayman would outperform the 911.

I'm no engineer, but sitting the engine on the rear wheels must affect looks (like how the rear seat headroom affected the looks of the Panamera), suspension geometry, engine size potential, positioning other parts for weight distribution, etc. Maybe a bigger Carrera not only suits the market but also lessons these restrictions.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:07 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Alstoy
The cars are growing fater and softer with us.
Fatter and Softer because of the U.S.A!

It is the mother-effing 2020 CAFE, Corporate Average Fuel Economy, requirements driving the dimensions of cars up. If a vehicle has a larger footprint then it does not need to get as high an average MPG! And it is literally the US calling the shots on this one.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:26 AM
MikeBat
Rennlist Member

The last 911 is the one where you personally have drawn the line. Many say it was the 3.2 Carrera, others the 993...

In the end, it all depends on what makes you smile when you drive it.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:24 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Porsche still sells ultimate sport cars if one decides to get one - GT3 RS, GT3 cups. what they do to 997 line and its successor just reflects their primary target audience - an older 65-ish years old chap who still wants to feel 'sporty' but needs all the cushions he can get.

reality is the simple fact that most mid-class 30-40 year old folks move to f-ing honda accords these days to maintain mortgage payments and still save at least something on savings accounts to avoid bankruptcy in case if primary source of income suddenly goes kaput. whole country goes to hell as a one big happy rollacoaster.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:19 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
Porsche still sells ultimate sport cars if one decides to get one - GT3 RS, GT3 cups. what they do to 997 line and its successor just reflects their primary target audience - an older 65-ish years old chap who still wants to feel 'sporty' but needs all the cushions he can get.

reality is the simple fact that most mid-class 30-40 year old folks move to f-ing honda accords these days to maintain mortgage payments and still save at least something on savings accounts to avoid bankruptcy in case if primary source of income suddenly goes kaput. whole country goes to hell as a one big happy rollacoaster.
Basically, I agree with you. My observation is that the younger crowd is not as interested in cars, in general ( this is, of course, a generalization!). It seems that video games and hand held devices rule the day. There are so many different cars and different distractions available today. I also agree that the 911 is desired largely by older drivers. My intellect tells me the Boxster is the better value. My heart says "this is what you always wanted since you were 16 years old in 1969!" I believe that many folks have high expectations of luxury for cars in this price range. Think about the perceived value of the Panamera vs. the 911. The 911 is relatively raw compared to many of its competitors. I think that Porsche has to deal with all of the above. Not so easy when there are a number of competitors.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:04 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Interesting to read everyone's responses.

I'm in my mid 30's and I'll be in the market for a new fun car next year. Yeah there are far fewer people my age that are into cars and it seems with every new generation the desire for fun sporty cars further declines.

Having said that I'm leanings towards a Boxster or a Miata at the moment. The Spyder is my preference as it embodies everything I would want in a pure sports car. Enough power (not too much), great handling, minimized excess and beautiful. Price and depreciation are the only two downsides. The Miata doesn't have quite enough power but more than makes up for it in the handling and shifting. It's not nearly as beautiful but for less than half the price and half the overall depreciation it remains a consideration.

I did consider the 911 briefly and it does have a few advantages including back seats for the kids and better resale over the long term but the reality is that my kids hardly ever go on drives with me and I really don't need the extra space. I haven't drive an modern 911 so I can't comment how its handling compares to a current Boxster but judging by what others here and elsewhere have said, the Boxster isn't as lively as the 911 but it is very connected to your inputs.

I think the Cayman is what the older 911 used to be and it's hard to argue that when you look at the overall dimensions of the car. Now if they would restyle the back so it looked nicer I think it would be a huge hit!
Old 12-20-2010, 02:33 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

... But Porsche has made certain design choices on the 991 that are questionable from a performance standpoint (and not easily reversed for the track) but make absolutely perfect sense for the luxury performance segment.
I agree!

Originally Posted by 2slow2speed
Curious to know/understand what are the design choices you are referring to on the 991 that might be questionable for a track oriented vehicle?

Engines? Drivetrain? Chassis? Body? Suspension? Getting rid of the manual ebrake (guess only those folks rallying and drifting would care)?
Longer wheelbase, electric steering to name two.

Originally Posted by Putt-Putt
I think the engineers are happy to make a bigger 911. Marketing benefits aside, remember where the engine is in the 911. Audi never had the rear-engine engineering hurdle that plagues Porsche. Don't you think Porsche love to unleash their engineers on an affordable R8 killer? Except perhaps they can't, otherwise the Cayman would outperform the 911.

I'm no engineer, but sitting the engine on the rear wheels must affect looks (like how the rear seat headroom affected the looks of the Panamera), suspension geometry, engine size potential, positioning other parts for weight distribution, etc. Maybe a bigger Carrera not only suits the market but also lessons these restrictions.
What are you saying? The reason I, and many others, have a 911 is due to its design architecture - engine in the rear and its driving dynamics. Your suggestion is a prescription to kill the 911 design's virtues.

Quick Reply: "911 has become the BMW 5 Series of sports cars"