991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sad End for a Beautiful 991.2 ... :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2024 | 06:29 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Burning Brakes

Good point. Even driving onto a large piece of tent canvas and then folding it over the roof might be enough to allow you to keep water away from the bottom and sides of the car.

Have to say I would resort to some pretty crazy maneuvers before I let this happen.
The following 2 users liked this post by Larson E. Rapp:
jimmiejam (Yesterday), Sajan (10-08-2024)
Old 10-08-2024 | 06:37 PM
jp884
Pro

I'm sorry man, hopefully your home is OK and that it didn't flood inside.
Old 10-08-2024 | 06:58 PM
Guaji
Racer

Originally Posted by DC911S
I’m surprised nobody makes and sells waterproof car baggies or something. You could use some sort of heavy duty polymer with a zip loc type of seal. Just open it up, drive onto it and then pinch it shut. Granted you car might float away but if it’s in a garage it won’t.

They do make such a product called Flood Vault and another called Clima Guard. My brother is near Palm Harbor and got 3 feet in the ground floor which is only for storage and garage space. He moved the cars to the top of his driveway which is higher as the water was reaching the bottom of the door sills. They have 3 cars and evacuated today with two cars and parked another car at a golf club which sits higher and further from the gulf. It’s an old Lexus so they aren’t too worried. He is still trying to clean up from Helene. Thankfully Miami is escaping this one. After Andrew, it took a long time to recover.
Old Yesterday | 02:23 AM
Speed2k
Burning Brakes

I’m surprised nobody makes and sells waterproof car baggies or something. You could use some sort of heavy duty polymer with a zip loc type of seal. Just open it up, drive onto it and then pinch it shut. Granted you car might float away but if it’s in a garage it won’t.
This was in HK last year.

Here's another variation of it
The following users liked this post:
IRunalot (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday | 06:56 AM
bakerphoto
Advanced

My folks lived in Hilton Head, SC. on the water. He started parking his SLS at the Savanah airport parking garage before they evacuated. It worked out great.
Old Yesterday | 09:04 AM
DC911S
Drifting

I would think Porsche should make a protective waterproof baggie the shape of a 911 so it’s easier to get on and off, with less fussing needed to make it fit properly. But that’s just me as a dumb engineer and not a product development or marketing person. Pretty sure many people in flood zones would buy them, knowing that it would fit properly.
Old Yesterday | 09:13 AM
IRunalot
Rennlist Member

Damn that's creative!
Old Yesterday | 10:20 AM
rwbern
Rennlist Member

Ugh ! That is painful to view …..It's a funny thing about a Porsche, there's the moment you know you want one, there's the moment you first own one and for the truly afflicted, there's the decade or two that passes in between"
Have to look for a bright spot that will be the fun of a search for the replacement.
Old Yesterday | 10:25 AM
jimmiejam
Racer

I lost my C7 last year in the flood event we had. Car had 1,306 miles on it. The 911 was saved because it was on the lift over the 7. A bag would have saved it, no doubt.....everything is replaceable. So I just got a C8....

Old Yesterday | 12:28 PM
TurboChris
Track Day

Originally Posted by Speed2k
A VIN, after the OP gets paid out, is a good idea!
Why would it matter if it's before or after it's paid off?
Old Yesterday | 01:24 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Burning Brakes

That C7 looked sharp, reminds me of my Grand Prix White / Yachting Blue 968 back in the day.
Old Yesterday | 05:00 PM
Foosh
Burning Brakes

So sorry @Frankfurt1470 The sounds of the car's death must have been painful.

It doesn't take much water intrusion to total a 911 or any other relative modern vehicle with the the Body Control Module, and all the other electronics at floor level. A friend of mine had his 997.2 totaled about a month ago in a heavy (2"/hr rainfall) thunderstorm. He had just returned from a trip and parked his car outside to unload just as the storm hit. Shortly after, his car started horn honking, lights flashing, etc., and he called me. He was able to get the frunk open with the fob, and I told him to disconnect the battery. He discovered the carpets soaked, but no standing water inside, and it never flooded around the car.

It was discovered that the drains under the engine lid were overwhelmed by the the heavy rain, and the water entered the cabin. His car was totaled by the insurance company as well.

Ironically, he had been driving in heavy rain just before getting home with no water intrusion because when in motion, most of the water blows over the car. It happened only because the car was sitting still for an extended period in a monsoon, and the drains were either clogged or couldn't handle that volume of water.
Old Yesterday | 11:31 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Sorry! I hope you get a decent payout, and then find a new best friend.
Old Yesterday | 11:49 PM
Alc
Racer

I’m sorry to hear this happened to you or really all of those affected by these incredibly powerful storms. But I’d also like to thank you for starting this thread and teaching people about ways to minimize destruction:
1. Find a good multistory parking garage
2. Buy the $3k flood vault or similar
3. make some **** up and hope for the best

And if you choose none of those things are replaceable but people aren’t so please take care of yourselves in FL!
Old Today | 12:40 AM
bb964
Rennlist Member

Don't have any first hand experience, but there is this

https://floodvault.com/

and this

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by bb964; Today at 12:43 AM.

Quick Reply: Sad End for a Beautiful 991.2 ... :(