Old Yesterday, 09:55 AM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default 991.1 Base - Track Tires and TPMS

A few questions for the track crowd:

Setup and Purpose
The car is stock with 350 HP, PDK, PASM, and Sport Plus. I plan to align the car as aggressively as possible in terms of camber, aiming for around 2º front and rear. I have professional racing experience, but it’s been over 15 years since I’ve been on-track. I have realistic expectations of what a stock car can do and won’t be pushing it (or myself) to the limit lap after lap. I’m looking to enjoy some HPDE time and would like to fully experience what the car has to offer, rather than needing to baby it around the track. My primary track is Road Atlanta. I’ll be upgrading brake pads and fluid as needed, and I’m also considering a brake upgrade.

Question 1:
Is it necessary or recommended to install TPMS modules in dedicated track wheels? If it’s not required, does having TPMS affect the car’s performance on the track or when driving to and from the track?

Question 2:
I have an extra set of 20" OEM wheels. Given the limited alignment adjustments on a stock setup, what would you recommend for track tires, keeping in mind that I’ll be driving to and from the track on these tires?

Aside from the usual track prep activities, such as those outlined on a PCA pre-track checklist, are there any other considerations specific to 991.1 cars that might differ from 996 or 997 models?

Thanks in advance,
Hank
Old Yesterday, 12:45 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 858 Likes on 433 Posts

For the price of the TPMS (< $250) I would install them on all wheel sets.
The following users liked this post:
justabout (Today)
Old Today, 07:53 AM
ktnielsen
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 47 Posts

I have an extra set of stock 20" rims as well. I run Yokohama Advan Neo 200 tread wear and drive them to the track.

Quick Reply: 991.1 Base - Track Tires and TPMS