Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunroof leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2024 | 08:03 PM
McKlyde
Rennlist Member

Default Sunroof leak

Hey folks it looks like the edges of my sunroof have decided cave in a little bit, this allowed water to intrude into the cabin.
As I understand these cars do not have sunroof drains but rather channels/ridges to channel the water to the front/rear of the car where there are drains.

This is the passenger side taken. I opened the sunroof and there was clearly water in the sunroof mechanism that drips down to the headliner. However only the driver side had actual water dripping down the headliner. The passenger side did feel damp but guess I just have to replace the sunroof seals.
What does everyone's look like?

Ordered part:
991 566 475 00

The part number seems to be specifically for external glass sunroofs.
Old 09-04-2024 | 09:09 PM
McKlyde
Rennlist Member

The ordered part ended up being: 9P1-877-915 (For the 992 but first the 991 as well)

I also reteached through PIWIS under the maintenance tab on the Rear BCM.

Seems like it's a much tighter fit now that it was before. Hopefully no leaks in the rainy season!
The following users liked this post:
MingusDew (09-04-2024)
Old 09-06-2024 | 12:07 PM
Nashvegas
Pro

You are correct the coupe 991 (with either glass or metal sunroof) does not have drain tubes... instead simple drain channels. I really like this design after so many cars with clogged drain tubes.

The seal surrounding the sunroof does most of the work. Any water that gets in is directed forward and rearward, underneath the 4 strips of rubber that are attached to the roof running forwards and back.

What you might want to do now if not already, since you already have water leaking in -- pry up those 4 rubber strips, and clean under them. Read the instructions in the manual about how to attach the Porsche transport (roof rack) because they show how to properly pry up these trim pieces. On my car, I found gook lodged underneath all 4 of the rubber strips, blocking the drainage to the front or rear. The 2 rears were fully blocked, the fronts partially.

Please give it a check, you might be surprised at how gross it is under those 4 strips. (also be careful with them, they don't fully remove from the car, they are adhesive taped on and it's an expensive proposition to replace these 4 strips, they are over $100 a piece.
Old 09-06-2024 | 11:55 PM
McKlyde
Rennlist Member

Thanks will do! I did run some water along the side and saw that it was flowing through. My previous seal had cracks which I believe was the cause of the leaks. The rear is a little dirty and doesnt flow as well, definitely needs a cleaning. I’ll check it out and hope i don’t ruin the adhesive!

Quick Reply: Sunroof leak