Sponsored by:

Rear Bumper Guard

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2024 | 12:27 AM
CayCaySwift
Intermediate

Default Rear Bumper Guard

I've gone through 20 years of driving with no accidents

Ever since I picked up my new to me 2016 991.1 in January, I've been rear ended twice

Both times I was at a complete stop, both times were very low speed collisions that required the bumper to be changed (I used the same body shop and both times, they did verify there was no further damage)

I know it's probably blasphemy to put something like this on the back end of a 911 but does anyone know of a company or a product that resembles the rear bumper guards seen on SUVs?

Something along these lines?

Old 08-14-2024 | 09:46 AM
TiptonInAustin
Instructor

Seems more like luck than a trend to me
Old 08-14-2024 | 10:00 AM
Jim M.
Rennlist Member

I don't know of any after market bumper guards like the picture you provided. But, something like that would transfer the forces of an impact to the supporting structure, possibly causing even more damage. I would prefer replacing a bumper cap to structural damage any day of the week. Plus you're adding weight to an already rear weight biased car, and to my eye it's butt ugly.
The following users liked this post:
cbredesen (08-15-2024)
Old 08-14-2024 | 10:06 AM
MingusDew
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Jim M.
I don't know of any after market bumper guards like the picture you provided. But, something like that would transfer the forces of an impact to the supporting structure, possibly causing even more damage. I would prefer replacing a bumper cap to structural damage any day of the week. Plus you're adding weight to an already rear weight biased car, and to my eye it's butt ugly.
as a former crash safety engineer, agreed 100%. We added sliders to the side of a truck and now in side impact it transferred additional force to the frame rails, bending them. It was still an acceptable pass for the test, but the damage to the underlying structure was increased. I don’t think this eye sore of a “bumper” would help as much as some might expect.
The following 2 users liked this post by MingusDew:
cbredesen (08-15-2024), wkearney99 (08-14-2024)
Old 08-14-2024 | 10:33 AM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MingusDew
as a former crash safety engineer, agreed 100%. We added sliders to the side of a truck and now in side impact it transferred additional force to the frame rails, bending them. It was still an acceptable pass for the test, but the damage to the underlying structure was increased. I don’t think this eye sore of a “bumper” would help as much as some might expect.
Top 3 reasons to add steel bumpers and sliders on a Jeep. In full disclosure I used to own a 4 door Wrangler until last year, although it never had steel bumpers.

"But my Jeep never takes any damage now in an accident......" .
"It is so much safer having my steel bumper that never crumples in an accident...."
"I was rear ended and my Jeep took zero damage and the other car was destroyed, it is much safer now....."

Agree that although even if it looked great I would worry about other issues arising. Also, a steel bumper on an SUV/truck is at a much higher height than the height it would be on the back of a 911. Unless it came up to the height of the tail lights, I suspect that the bumper would escape undamaged (because it wasn't hit) in a rear end collision.

Quick Reply: Rear Bumper Guard