Gorgeous! Congrats!!

What mods are you considering?
The following users liked this post:
desmotesta (08-28-2024)
Old 08-28-2024, 02:04 AM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 460 Posts

Congrats! You can drive the wheels off and still be a low mileage car lol.
The following users liked this post:
desmotesta (08-28-2024)
Old 08-28-2024, 06:51 AM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 2,047 Likes on 970 Posts

Originally Posted by Mcmc
Gorgeous! Congrats!!

What mods are you considering?
Thank you

Pretty basic to start off with

- Numeric
- DSC
- Tires ( Car Still has Original tires from 2012 with 90% tread, Date stamp 1212 lol, draw back of a car out of "collection" Vs real world use)
- Removing Power steering Plus and adding newer Steering Software via thinkdiag
- Spacers
- Catch up on Maintenance ( only item left is Spark plus which previous owner refused to change, fluids and belts are up to date)
Old 08-28-2024, 07:43 AM
browse964
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

My 2014 base was acquired in 2016 as I moved out of a very tuned 964. S and GTS lost the fun for my driving style and the base reminded me more of driving the 964. The steering mod, which I had to surpress the warning on due to early build, took it to another level. I loved the drive but not the conering prior to the mod. Now I almost never miss the 964 (ok I do, but I would not swap the 991.1 base for it given my lifestyle and driving). I am now over 108k km of smiles.
The following 2 users liked this post by browse964:
desmotesta (08-28-2024), Mcmc (08-28-2024)
Old 08-28-2024, 12:39 PM
Mcmc
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by browse964
My 2014 base was acquired in 2016 as I moved out of a very tuned 964. S and GTS lost the fun for my driving style and the base reminded me more of driving the 964. The steering mod, which I had to surpress the warning on due to early build, took it to another level. I loved the drive but not the conering prior to the mod. Now I almost never miss the 964 (ok I do, but I would not swap the 991.1 base for it given my lifestyle and driving). I am now over 108k km of smiles.
curious what changed with your driving style to have grown fond of the base model? Many of us move into these higher spec’s cars with images of ideal driving conditions + capabilities but talking to many seasoned 911 owners, many mentions how happy they were getting into a base model for its usable power.
Old Yesterday, 07:47 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 2,047 Likes on 970 Posts

I guess its "broken in" now... Odometer rolled over from 9999 to 10,000 last night

Kidding aside, finally had a chance to drive the car around country roads and figured I should share my input

For starters, the engine... the ONE thing everyone thinks of when talking a "base" 911. I am happy to report that the Base engine is damn plenty for all of the back roads including skyline drive. It builds power just like you would expect a Flagt 6 N/A to do, there is a nice "kick" past 7K right before redline, ample torque even in high gears and what a noise it makes all the way to redline (with PSE).

Having had the fortune of owning a 991.1S, 991.1 GTS (PDK and Manual) I can confirm that the engine not very different from the other .1 Carrera iterations. The S has a slightly throatier sound in mid range, and a louder shriek near redline. The GTS is even throatier and Screams more than the S near redline. But after my first 100+ miles in the car, I am happy to report how similar an experience the .1 Base is when compared to real work ownership of both .1 S and GTS.
Of the 4 991.1 cars I have had, this is the first without Sport PASM and there IS a small difference both in ride height and road feel. The Sport-PASM ( before DSC) was very harsh, bumpy and choppy over imperfect country roads. ( DSC fixed all of that). The "regular" PASM is a little more bearable although a DSC is on top of my Mod List

I hope to put more miles on the car next week and will provide more feedback as I get to terms with my Base car

The following 2 users liked this post by desmotesta:
ieatfishburritos (Yesterday), jimmiejam (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 09:37 PM
GoaterAz
Intermediate

Received 61 Likes on 13 Posts

Oh not only is it "broken-in," it's now worthless! Light it on fire, or get your $4,200 trade-in towards a new Rav4 before that thing breaks down

Congrats man, glad you're enjoying it as intended.
Old Yesterday, 11:17 PM
Mcmc
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by desmotesta
I guess its "broken in" now... Odometer rolled over from 9999 to 10,000 last night

Kidding aside, finally had a chance to drive the car around country roads and figured I should share my input

For starters, the engine... the ONE thing everyone thinks of when talking a "base" 911. I am happy to report that the Base engine is damn plenty for all of the back roads including skyline drive. It builds power just like you would expect a Flagt 6 N/A to do, there is a nice "kick" past 7K right before redline, ample torque even in high gears and what a noise it makes all the way to redline (with PSE).

Having had the fortune of owning a 991.1S, 991.1 GTS (PDK and Manual) I can confirm that the engine not very different from the other .1 Carrera iterations. The S has a slightly throatier sound in mid range, and a louder shriek near redline. The GTS is even throatier and Screams more than the S near redline. But after my first 100+ miles in the car, I am happy to report how similar an experience the .1 Base is when compared to real work ownership of both .1 S and GTS.
Of the 4 991.1 cars I have had, this is the first without Sport PASM and there IS a small difference both in ride height and road feel. The Sport-PASM ( before DSC) was very harsh, bumpy and choppy over imperfect country roads. ( DSC fixed all of that). The "regular" PASM is a little more bearable although a DSC is on top of my Mod List

I hope to put more miles on the car next week and will provide more feedback as I get to terms with my Base car

Wonderful review. As frequent visitor of skyline in motorcycle and my old 996, it’s great to hear it’s performed a well as your past versions of 991s.

Does your base come with sports Chrono? Wondering if the dynamic engine mount does much in real world street use. Congrats again, sounds like an amazing find.
Old Today, 01:44 AM
Watson
Burning Brakes

Received 325 Likes on 235 Posts

Congrats on your new baby!

Oh wow I missed the news of your selling the GTS! And I was also expecting a "new to me Touring" post but now I get it, all good and a wise decision, I should learn from you! :-D
I am still having fun with my 991.1 Targa GTS 7MT and starting to put more miles one it now I have a bit more times on my hands. I don't do track days, only back roads / mountain driving so I think the value of a Touring would be way lost on me - even the GTS is much more capable car than my driving skills. A base Carrera 7MT would also be perfect for me as well but it has to have SC, PSE at least which are rare to find on base Carrera so well done to you! Besides you even have a sunroof which is cool.

The "problem" with the GTS is that it is that powerful that I often have to back off the gas pedal, otherwise I am reaching stupid speeds. With my 993 C2, I am using more full throttle which is nice : does a base 991.1 Carrera allows you to be more often "pedal to the metal"?

Looking forward to more pictures and more driving impressions! I am interested in knowing if the rev match, burbles when you tip out are similar to the GTS (I suppose yes)...

Your car and your thinking process is similar to the gentleman - 991.1 Carrera owner - in this video :

Quick Reply: Back in the club