Sponsored by:

Sunroof seal

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2024, 06:03 PM
Picketthouse
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Sunroof seal

Anyone have the sunroof seal fly away. The passenger side in the rear glass lost the rubber seal. Anyone know what holds them in? Any cheap places to purchase them? I have tried pelican, suncoast and fcu. The dealer wants over $200 for a 10 inch rubber piece! That seems crazy even in Porsche land. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 07-23-2024, 06:18 PM
Nashvegas
Pro

Received 168 Likes on 112 Posts

I had one that was damaged when I bought my 991 last year, and it needed to be replaced. It has sort of a press fit to secure it in the rear, and has double sided adhesive tape on the forward portion.

Check this post out, it has a good photo - https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1364...bber-seal.html

It's the right rear seal for the "roof transport system" (the sunroof seal is the big rectangle that's all one piece around the movable portion) and it's a bit more than just a piece of rubber, it has a vague bit of plastic to it for internal structure. But -- basically a piece of rubber. Horrifically overpriced - I paid $150 bucks from sunset parts online. PN 991 566 928 00 for right side (passengers in US), and PN 991 566 927 00 for left (drivers in US) side.

Note these 2 part #'s appear to have been superseded to some new 9P1-xxxxxxx part #. https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...=c&SVSVSI=4884 I think is it. Still avail though.

Old 07-23-2024, 08:55 PM
BigK77
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The replacement is a bit of a pain. It looks easy but the 4 pieces that are attached via 3m tape dont stick well. The corners came loose and I had to remove it all and glue it on then press the upper seal into again.
Old 07-23-2024, 09:08 PM
Nashvegas
Pro

Originally Posted by BigK77
The replacement is a bit of a pain. It looks easy but the 4 pieces that are attached via 3m tape dont stick well. The corners came loose and I had to remove it all and glue it on then press the upper seal into again.
Can you clarify what you mean by “upper seal” - there’s just the big rectangular sunroof aperture seal, and then the 4 straight pieces like the one in this inquiry.
Old 07-23-2024, 09:13 PM
BigK77
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was referring to the seal around the actual sunroof. Looking at your photo again it appears to be the fixed panel behind the sunroof, correct?
Old 07-24-2024, 09:44 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 445 Likes on 318 Posts

I once bought an aftermarket "OEM" targa seal and fought with it for almost a year before buyinga second one from the dealer. Try to shop dealers like suncoast and the one in DE for a better price but I would go OEM with any seal..
Old 08-01-2024, 01:07 PM
Picketthouse
Rennlist Member

Got my two hundred dollar Volkswagen bug windshield wiper today. Actually just a over priced Porsche sunroof seal.

Old 08-01-2024, 01:45 PM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 1,023 Likes on 511 Posts

Originally Posted by Picketthouse
Got my two hundred dollar Volkswagen bug windshield wiper today. Actually just a over priced Porsche sunroof seal.

I'm contemplating removing mine that keeps coming loose and just adding some adhesive and replacing it. Would you mind showing a couple more pictures with the trim out of the plastic wrap?
Old 08-01-2024, 08:12 PM
Picketthouse
Rennlist Member

Hope this is helpful

The following users liked this post:
Tier1Terrier (08-01-2024)
Old 08-28-2024, 11:30 AM
Rumble-Bee
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Is that piece removable easily? Or is it held by double sided tape as some have mentioned? I would like to remove mine to refresh, but not sure if they are damaged during removal, and does the removal damage it to the point of not being reusable.
How do you remove?
Old 08-28-2024, 11:46 AM
Picketthouse
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rumble-Bee
Is that piece removable easily? Or is it held by double sided tape as some have mentioned? I would like to remove mine to refresh, but not sure if they are damaged during removal, and does the removal damage it to the point of not being reusable.
How do you remove?
it is held in with double sided tape. If you can get it out without tearing it you probably could clean it up and use new tape to put it back. With how much the stupid thing cast i wouldn't mess with it unless it was already coming off.
Old 08-28-2024, 11:52 AM
Rumble-Bee
Instructor

Originally Posted by Picketthouse
it is held in with double sided tape. If you can get it out without tearing it you probably could clean it up and use new tape to put it back. With how much the stupid thing cast i wouldn't mess with it unless it was already coming off.
Thanks for your response. Is the corollary that if you use a roof attachment system you need new ones?

Old 08-28-2024, 12:10 PM
Picketthouse
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rumble-Bee
Thanks for your response. Is the corollary that if you use a roof attachment system you need new ones?
I have no idea about that.
The following users liked this post:
Rumble-Bee (08-28-2024)
Old 08-28-2024, 03:22 PM
Nashvegas
Pro

No, you use these 4 trim pieces as is on the car, with the roof attachment system.

You pry up the ends that are unattached to the car, they sort of bend up and slots into the underside of the roof bar system. The ends of the trim that are attached to the car with double sided tape stay as is. If you look in the owners manual, I'm pretty sure I saw instructions for how it works there.
Old 08-28-2024, 03:30 PM
Rumble-Bee
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nashvegas
No, you use these 4 trim pieces as is on the car, with the roof attachment system.

You pry up the ends that are unattached to the car, they sort of bend up and slots into the underside of the roof bar system. The ends of the trim that are attached to the car with double sided tape stay as is. If you look in the owners manual, I'm pretty sure I saw instructions for how it works there.
Great explanation (Many Thanks!) and you answered where the double-sided tape was used, indirectly (another of my unasked questions.) I am picturing the tail (half high) section being pulled back to access the roof mount tabs, while the full height section stays in place held by DS tape.

Quick Reply: Sunroof seal