Sponsored by:

Improving bass w/ base stereo

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2024, 05:26 PM
mdfud
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Improving bass w/ base stereo

My 19 4S has the base stereo system and I've been looking at different ways to upgrade, e.g., amp, speakers, etc. I recently consulted with a local stereo shop and they recommend putting a subwoofer on the deck behind the rear seats as well as upgrading speakers and adding an amp. I'm all in with the amp and speaker upgrade but I'm hesitant to mount a subwoofer on the rear deck; I'd prefer to leave it 'as is'. Has anyone improved the bass without installing a subwoofer on the rear deck? Thanks in advance for information. (BTW, this is the recommended subwoofer:
Amazon Amazon
)
Old 07-19-2024, 06:48 PM
Got Bearings?
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts

Funny... I went with the same Kicker sub enclosure but with a 12" L7 on the rear deck, firing UP. I also have the base system and the sub is definitely an improvement. I didn't do the other speakers until afterwards and while it sounded better musically, the bass wasn't quite enough. I guess it depends on how much of a basshead you are.
Old 07-19-2024, 11:09 PM
dvalera001
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 97 Posts

You could do something like this… https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...che-gt3rs.html

all really depends on your budget and how much bass you really want. Most likely for any real thump, you’ll need a sub on the rear deck. I’ve seen other threads about passenger footwell and frunk, but not sure how good those options are. I wouldn’t want the sub there.

good thing is that you have a blank slate, not like us Bose prisoners.
Old 07-21-2024, 05:17 AM
itbme
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 21 Posts

I significantly improved the bass in my doors by treating them a little.
The biggest improvement came from filling the voids in the door card. The big door speaker basically just fires into a giant cavity.

Old 07-22-2024, 06:08 PM
Lee Rambler
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by dvalera001
You could do something like this… https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...che-gt3rs.html

all really depends on your budget and how much bass you really want. Most likely for any real thump, you’ll need a sub on the rear deck. I’ve seen other threads about passenger footwell and frunk, but not sure how good those options are. I wouldn’t want the sub there.

good thing is that you have a blank slate, not like us Bose prisoners.
actually, base systems in 991.2's are worse off as the amp is internal to the pcm, not under the passenger seat like on .1's... those you could grab a flat, unbalanced input from the amp. The .2's have ALOT of oem eq that you can't get around - unless you recode the pcm for bose/burmeister (which you can do with a navtv piece instead of going to the dealer and having them really confused about what you're after...) and then use the navtv zenv most150 adaptor. That means all new amps though. Which, if you're after good quality all around, you're going to want to do anyway. That's the path I went down.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
9912 audio system.pdf (660.5 KB, 13 views)
Old 07-22-2024, 08:24 PM
dvalera001
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Lee Rambler
actually, base systems in 991.2's are worse off as the amp is internal to the pcm, not under the passenger seat like on .1's... those you could grab a flat, unbalanced input from the amp. The .2's have ALOT of oem eq that you can't get around - unless you recode the pcm for bose/burmeister (which you can do with a navtv piece instead of going to the dealer and having them really confused about what you're after...) and then use the navtv zenv most150 adaptor. That means all new amps though. Which, if you're after good quality all around, you're going to want to do anyway. That's the path I went down.

I’ve read that the 991.2 base audio actually has no amp, just powered outputs…. See #7 here that was quoted from Musicar.. https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1231...o-991-2-a.html
Some of these threads make it seem easier said than done. Great diagram though, your set up seems nice!

I have a 991.2 Bose, so I just tapped the amp for powered sub and got my bass. 😎 I may be upgrading my sub soon. I really like your custom sub box. Any details you can share on that would be awesome.

Last edited by dvalera001; 07-23-2024 at 10:21 AM.
Old 07-23-2024, 06:34 PM
Lee Rambler
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

correct, no external amp - it's built into the pcm as I noted. And as I mentioned, the outputs are actively crossed over and heavily eq'd, so a good signal is easier said than done (yes you can tap the woofers, but trust me when I say its not the signal you'd want for a real sub...)

that's a JL12TW3 I used, not only the best shallow sub I've heard, but one of the best 12" subs period. I have a w6 in my one audi that is a bit more output, but I think clarity and extension are just as good... not a cheap woofer by any means, but wish I'd have just bought it from the start instead of trying some other cheaper options first... I will say their box spec is too small though, needs 1ft3 to sound it's best.

getting that 1ft3 is easier said than done though, it is really tight and you need to have an angled baffle to get the space. And to have the trim not extend above the seat, that needs to have compound angles. The JL prefab box will sit up there, but will stick up past the seat back and is too small (has some ring and upper bass exaggeration to it imo). that said, if you're going to run off the bose high level output, you're not getting what that sub can do anyway though, so the jl prefab might be satisfactory - honestly, they don't charge much more for the prefab that it only costs you like $50 for the box as compared to the raw driver, so it's not that bad to give a shot.

Quick Reply: Improving bass w/ base stereo