Sponsored by:

991.2 GTS high charge air temp on track

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2024, 02:43 PM
Gearcruncher
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 991.2 GTS high charge air temp on track

Did my second track day in my new-to-me 991.2 GTS. When I got home, I had P117A stored in the DME 4 times. This is "Charge Air Temperature Too High- cooling-system fault". No check engine on the dash.

I didn't get this the first time, just a month ago, and only about 400 miles on the car ago. However, first track day was 60F out, and it was 100F out yesterday.
Checking the DME fault log, it triggered at the end of the front straight, where I was doing 145MPH. Did it near the end of the session. Inlet air temp was 84C! (183F). Weirdly it was not under boost, right as I was letting off the power.

Does this represent an actual issue with the car, or does it just get this hot on a hot day and a half mile straight where you're doing it over and over? On the highway home, I swear I could hear the turbos more than I am used to, but your head is in a different place after a track day like that. Any ideas of anything to check?

Car does have a Softronic tune, otherwise completely stock.
Old 07-08-2024, 02:54 PM
th3blue
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

you'll have the highest temps after you let off because you've stopped the airflow so it's just sitting there heating up. My current fear is what you just experienced. I want to get some intercooler sprayers which I think will really help. my plan is to steal the output from the the headlight washer pump to just spray that onto them using some washer jets and a hobbs switch to arm.
Old 07-08-2024, 03:03 PM
Gearcruncher
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh right- it's recirculating the air at that point. Thanks for that observation.
Time to do a bit more logging on the track of all my temps and see just what is going on.
I like the idea of the sprayer. I did this on a V10 M5 6MT years ago that would overheat the transmission . I bought a $15 washer tank with pump off amazon, pointed the nozzle at the transmission, and just plugged it into the 12V socket in the car after a few minutes on the track. Worked great.

Quick Reply: 991.2 GTS high charge air temp on track