Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who's done a Musicar audio upgrade? Happy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2024 | 08:23 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by DarthWoodman68
their website is not very informative but the youtube videos look like stage 1 is tweeters and 2 is amp - how muc did this run and how much better did it make it?
Originally Posted by tiiger
yes yes this. I wish they'd update it with their packages/stages/pricing. Would be sooo much more helpful and enticing than the "UNDER CONSTRUCTION" message.

any updates, @12v Nick ?
I'm hopinh to get that launched soon — it's been a struggle to keep up with that on top of handling new orders and running our local shop in Portland.

Originally Posted by B Russ
I am considering the Tweeter upgrade, How do I get them?
Give me a call at 503-208-6246 and I'll get you set up.

Originally Posted by stout
Ordered a set of Musicar tweeters a few years ago and was very impressed with the quality of the pieces, the packaging, and the service.

In retrospect, I wish I had ordered Stage 2 with the sound deadening for the doors—but I ended up sticking with stock Bose at the time as none of the systems on the market addressed what I view as the real need for anyone who has PCM: The ability to adjust the system to one's own preferences, with an EQ beyond PCM's pathetic treble/bass settings or, worse, no settings at all with CarPlay, Pandora, etc. Something between PCM's outputs and the factory amp (or a better amp) would be very appealing indeed. A local installer suggests we can tune a new amp, but that's a one-time deal with his laptop. Looking for something I can adjust from time to time, as in the old days of hi-fi.
That's difficult to find something like that these days. Unless you replace the PCM with an aftermarket head unit, anything external with an on-the-fly EQ is usually cheaper gear.

Originally Posted by rephlex71
My understanding of Musicar’s latest offering is that they switched to an amp from Audiotec Fischer that has a fantastic DSP and lets you really fine tune your sound. Yes, this is done while wired to a laptop, but you can load DSP files into the amp that will give you a great starting point. Once dialed in not much fiddling required. I have one of these amps in my BMW and they are infinitely adjustable.
Correct, the AF platform gives us incredible control over the sound. We choose not to lock out the software, so you can certainly go in and make your own adjustments to the sound. That said, the baseline tune that we put together over hours of tuning in these cars is perfectly enjoyable for most listeners.
Old 08-20-2024 | 11:46 AM
Jim M.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stout
^ Nice work! Have long considered doing the same, or some of the same, as the massive wheel/tire "drums" on modern 911s (under a big, angled piece of glass!) not only get tiresome on long trips but end up competing with good noises from the flat six. Switching to all-season tires revealed just how much, but they too get louder as they age.

Do you have some sense of how many pounds were added in getting a good effect? Agree re: these are street cars. I like the romance of lightweight cars, but the reality is my 991 spends far more time as a daily on streets and freeways than it does on fun back roads and race tracks.
I deleted the rear seats and the rear seat belts at the same time . But I have no idea of a weight loss or gain. I don't track the car so for me it's a moot point.
Old 08-20-2024 | 01:12 PM
tiiger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jim M.
I deleted the rear seats and the rear seat belts at the same time . But I have no idea of a weight loss or gain. I don't track the car so for me it's a moot point.
interesting. Not sure about others, but I'd want to put it back to stock after.

Did you remove them for looks? Utility/cargo?

Or would it have been difficult to re-fit after the sound deadening installation?
Old 08-21-2024 | 10:42 AM
Jim M.
Rennlist Member

interesting. Not sure about others, but I'd want to put it back to stock after.

Did you remove them for looks? Utility/cargo?

Or would it have been difficult to re-fit after the sound deadening installation?
I can completely return it to stock if and when that might happen. I didn't drill any holes anywhere, only added the sound deadening. When I did it, I also created a flat floor at the same height as the folded seats, with two LED lighted storage compartments where each seat was. The lights only come on when you open a compartment door. On a wim, I added two tubes to hold umbrellas. My car has the mahogany trim in front so I made mahogany pieces to hide the seam in the carpet. All in all it was a lot of work and expense, but a labor of love. I wanted more storage and something no one else had and in my mind I succeeded. If anyone doesn't like it, well that's their opinion, not mine.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jim M.:
boxdriver (08-21-2024), tiiger (08-21-2024)
Old 08-21-2024 | 12:34 PM
tiiger
Rennlist Member

gotcha, nice work.

I'll probably try to return the thing to stock, as I don't need as much storage back there.

Really looking forward to doing this project over the winter.
Old 08-21-2024 | 01:43 PM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

Just paid for the tweeters. Im holding you ALL responsible if they suck
The following 2 users liked this post by B Russ:
jeron658 (08-21-2024), Nashvegas (09-12-2024)
Old 08-23-2024 | 10:10 AM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

Cant Believe Im doing this again I said NO stereo stuff in the Porsches

The following 2 users liked this post by B Russ:
MingusDew (08-23-2024), tiiger (08-23-2024)
Old 08-23-2024 | 06:45 PM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

Yes this is easy but I still hold my breath every time I pry off trim or remove things like vents.

The following users liked this post:
MingusDew (08-23-2024)
Old 08-23-2024 | 06:55 PM
tiiger
Rennlist Member

Yes this is easy but I still hold my breath every time I pry off trim or remove things like vents.

awaiting your critical review!

(and do you have bose or burm or spp?)
Old 08-23-2024 | 07:19 PM
MingusDew
Three Wheelin'

You can replace the metal clips on those with some felt tape, just wrap the felt tape around the plastic the metal clip was on, and it will press fit into the slot and hold itself. This makes it a little easier if you have to remove in the future, and there is less chance of a bent clip/plastic interface rattling.
Larson E. Rapp (08-24-2024)
Old 08-23-2024 | 11:09 PM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

awaiting your critical review!

(and do you have bose or burm or spp?)
Bose,
Once I saw how small they were I reset my expectations. I haven't really had a chance to give them a good run but initially they are much cleaner on the upper range. The Bose EQ is so limited but the clarity is much better and more accurate, definitely brightens up the system. They are the beginning of the slippery slope because once you hear what they can do you will want to start replacing other components and for me thats a No No, BTDT toooo many times. If Im looking for audio better than this Ill go in the 971 Turbo.
tiiger (08-24-2024)
Old 08-27-2024 | 11:40 AM
Vietjdmboi
Rennlist Member

If anyone is interested in upgrading their tweeters with some Dynaudio MD102's (exactly what musicar sells) I have a set I want to get rid of. Just make a reasonable offer and they are yours. Just sitting here not being used and I rather someone enjoy them.

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1424105
Old 09-12-2024 | 10:29 AM
Indyxc
Rennlist Member

Bumping this up.

Thinking of getting the musicar tweeters, as one of mine is distorting at high bass levels.

My question is, can I reused my stock grills? I have the leather dash upgrade, and my grill is leather with deviated stiching, so I would obviously like to retain that.

If I can't are there any other good tweeter upgrades that use the stock vent?

Thanks
Old 09-12-2024 | 11:04 AM
AKKutz
Rennlist Member

I sent an email to Musicar last week and I still haven't heard back from them. Might have to source another avenue to upgrade my system.
Old 09-12-2024 | 12:10 PM
boxdriver
Racer

I added 1" dome tweeters to my car and just fit them into the factory grills. The factory tweeters have a metal clip holding them in place. I just popped that out, removed the factory ones and put the new ones in their place and put the clip back in to hold them. I think I had to add a little something between the speaker and clip, but I can't remember for sure. I didn't take any photos. I used Hertz Cento Series C26. I got the idea from this thread. Our grills are different from his, but the idea and the speaker clip is the same.
My "value" 991 tweeter upgrade - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Quick Reply: Who's done a Musicar audio upgrade? Happy?