Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who's done a Musicar audio upgrade? Happy?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2024, 04:32 PM
tiiger
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 70 Posts

Nice. The fact that the musicar/mosconi (right?) amp is plug and play is a huge bonus, and makes the DIY element of it actually attainable.
Old 07-02-2024, 04:53 PM
ducktails
Racer

Received 462 Likes on 188 Posts

I went for the full Stage 3 immediately after buying my T (with base audio) in 2019, had installation done by a local recommended shop in about 5hrs.
  • Musicar 28mm High-End Tweeters (Dynaudio of Denmark)
  • Musicar 100mm High-End Midrange (Dynaudio of Denmark)
  • Musicar 230mm High-Output Woofers (Morel of Israel)
  • Musicar Performance DSP Amplifier (Mosconi of Italy)

Having the base audio vs. Bose makes it much more plug and play, apparently. @12v Nick can comment on the latest systems but as of 2019 he had said: "In the 991.2, the base stereo has no amplifier and instead uses the powered outputs from the in-dash nav system to driver the speakers. This saves a lot of money on the build, but also results in poor audio quality(which I'm assuming you've experienced at this point). The great part about this type of configuration is that we can use those analog outputs from the radio and send them directly into our new amplifier/sound processor. If this were a Bose car we would need to use an additional fiber-optic module just to communicate with the factory audio."

I declined the heavy sound-insulation because... Carrera T. In retrospect it was probably overkill, but given I've kept the car >4 years and counting I'm looking at ROI over the lifetime of the car to make me feel better

Overall very satisfied with it and with the service from Musicar NW. I posted a review back in 2020 https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9665...l#post16358297

Last edited by ducktails; 07-02-2024 at 05:04 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ducktails:
rustysign (07-03-2024), spyderbret (07-03-2024)
Old 07-02-2024, 06:13 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,020 Likes on 606 Posts

Originally Posted by ducktails
I went for the full Stage 3 immediately after buying my T (with base audio) in 2019, had installation done by a local recommended shop in about 5hrs.

Having the base audio vs. Bose makes it much more plug and play, apparently. @12v Nick can comment on the latest systems but as of 2019 he had said: "In the 991.2, the base stereo has no amplifier and instead uses the powered outputs from the in-dash nav system to driver the speakers. This saves a lot of money on the build, but also results in poor audio quality(which I'm assuming you've experienced at this point). The great part about this type of configuration is that we can use those analog outputs from the radio and send them directly into our new amplifier/sound processor. If this were a Bose car we would need to use an additional fiber-optic module just to communicate with the factory audio."

I declined the heavy sound-insulation because... Carrera T. In retrospect it was probably overkill, but given I've kept the car >4 years and counting I'm looking at ROI over the lifetime of the car to make me feel better

Overall very satisfied with it and with the service from Musicar NW. I posted a review back in 2020 https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9665...l#post16358297
I wonder with a PIWIS can you program the PCM to think it's a base audio and send audio signals out the built in amplifier/analog signal?

Old 07-02-2024, 11:11 PM
tiiger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ducktails

Cool, yeah, i totally see me going the full stage-3 monty.

Sooo frustrating tho that the Musicar online store has been "under construction" seemingly forever. Would love to see pricing on these kits.

How much was it for the full stage 3 kit? (I have Bose, so might be different, but it would be nice to at least get a peek into the ballpark.)

Last edited by tiiger; 07-02-2024 at 11:12 PM.
Old 07-02-2024, 11:14 PM
ducktails
Racer

Received 462 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by tiiger
Cool, yeah, i totally see me going the full stage-3 monty.

Sooo frustrating tho that the Musicar online store has been "under construction" seemingly forever. Would love to see pricing on these kits.

How much was it for the full stage 3 kit? (I have Bose, so might be different, but at least I can get in the ballpark.)
At the time it was just shy of $6,000 before installation. Like I said, I'm stretching that ROI out as long as I can
Not sure what it is now, though! Could be less, could be more.
The following users liked this post:
tiiger (07-02-2024)
Old 07-02-2024, 11:17 PM
tiiger
Rennlist Member

Thanks, yeah, $5-6K was about what I figured it would be.

I did find this thread from @12v Nick that has a few pics of the install. (I think your group buy link was posted in this thread, too)

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9664...with-bose.html
Old 07-03-2024, 12:16 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 684 Likes on 208 Posts

Glad to hear you guys are liking the upgrades!

The Mosconi/Dynaudio system was the older version of our Stage Three that sounded great, but didn't really have enough volume — especially for a cab or targa. The new setup uses an amplifier built by Audiotec-Fischer of Germany and a set of speakers from Morel that are factory-built just for our Musicar systems. You can also upgrade from any stage to the next now without working backwards. Check out what we've got for the 992 for a reference: https://rennlist.com/forums/vendor-a...ose-992-a.html — This is identical to the 991 in terms of equipment used.

We also have a subwoofer upgrade we're hoping to release this summer, just working out the kinks on the tooling for the enclosures:

2024 has been an incredibly busy year and the inbox is overflowing right now. If anyone is trying to get in touch with us, I appreciate everyone being patient while I try to catch up(it's going to take a while). It's just me on that side and we've also got a local retail shop in Portland that supports 7 technicians worth of daily work. If you need quick responses. I'm trying to spend a bit of time on here every morning, too. Feel free to shoot any questions in this thread and I'll do my best to answer them so everyone gets the info!

—Nick
The following 2 users liked this post by 12v Nick:
cbredesen (07-03-2024), tiiger (07-03-2024)
Old 07-03-2024, 01:48 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,194 Likes on 717 Posts

Subwoofer - Yes!
Old 07-03-2024, 03:09 PM
browse964
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Happy to see you posting again! My 991 is still virgin Bose and might need help....

In your past experience, is there any duty due on shipments to Canada or just GST/HST?
Old 07-03-2024, 03:41 PM
tiiger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 12v Nick
Glad to hear you guys are liking the upgrades!

The Mosconi/Dynaudio system was the older version of our Stage Three that sounded great, but didn't really have enough volume — especially for a cab or targa. The new setup uses an amplifier built by Audiotec-Fischer of Germany and a set of speakers from Morel that are factory-built just for our Musicar systems. You can also upgrade from any stage to the next now without working backwards. Check out what we've got for the 992 for a reference: https://rennlist.com/forums/vendor-a...ose-992-a.html — This is identical to the 991 in terms of equipment used.
2024 has been an incredibly busy year and the inbox is overflowing right now. If anyone is trying to get in touch with us, I appreciate everyone being patient while I try to catch up(it's going to take a while). It's just me on that side and we've also got a local retail shop in Portland that supports 7 technicians worth of daily work. If you need quick responses. I'm trying to spend a bit of time on here every morning, too. Feel free to shoot any questions in this thread and I'll do my best to answer them so everyone gets the info!

—Nick
Thanks, Nick!

Yeah, this stuff looks absolutely killer, and I see you mention in that 992 thread that install time shouldn't be more than about four hours. Great to hear. I'm game.

Gonna live with the car a bit and then i will absolutely be doing this.

Old 07-03-2024, 05:31 PM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 479 Posts

I purchased the latest tweeters from Nick / Musicar and they are amazing.

I also purchased the Stage 1+ sound deadening kit which I never ended up installing. I have it listed for sale along with a complete never-installed Rennspec door speaker system (mids, woofers, brackets, and adapters) in the Marketplace in case anyone is interested.

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1419830

Quick Reply: Who's done a Musicar audio upgrade? Happy?