Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird mark/repair

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2024 | 04:48 PM
SJ8667
8th Gear

Default Weird mark/repair

Looking at a 2017 CPO 991.2. Carfax doesn’t have damage listed but this is very odd. My hunch is repair work like this is a summary of how one of the owners (3) treated the car but “things” happen.

like 3 seperate marks

I’ll speak to the dealer on their thoughts as well but as a first time buyer I like the collective wisdom of the board as well. Almost like they just caked up paint to cover a crack.
Old 06-30-2024 | 05:22 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

It's really hard to tell without being there in person, but the mark on top and bottom appear like chips that are touched up. One in the middle is strange, but almost like someone put too much touchup paint on it.

I'd be interested in having a mechanic look from behind to confirm everything looks ok.

The good news is the damage was so minor that someone repaired vs replacing or repainting the entire bumper. What I've found is nearly all cars have some level of damage/wear/use unless the car is new. Just depends what level you're willing to accept. Most are ok with bumpers needing to be repainted at some point. Metal panels is where people start getting more concerned.
Old 06-30-2024 | 06:06 PM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

The middle one and maybe the bottom one too almost look like they're protruding outward suggesting that possibly the bumper cover was impacted forcing it against the actual metal bumper beneath it. Removing the bumper on these cars is surprisingly simple (takes about 10 minutes max). The dealer should should have the service dept remove it and show you what it looks like on the other side (inside) of the bumper.
The following users liked this post:
SJ8667 (06-30-2024)
Old 06-30-2024 | 06:07 PM
SJ8667
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Bxstr
It's really hard to tell without being there in person, but the mark on top and bottom appear like chips that are touched up. One in the middle is strange, but almost like someone put too much touchup paint on it.

I'd be interested in having a mechanic look from behind to confirm everything looks ok.

The good news is the damage was so minor that someone repaired vs replacing or repainting the entire bumper. What I've found is nearly all cars have some level of damage/wear/use unless the car is new. Just depends what level you're willing to accept. Most are ok with bumpers needing to be repainted at some point. Metal panels is where people start getting more concerned.

Thank you. It’s a Porsche dealer so you’d hope they’d have checked anything serious before making it CPO but I do have a good independent nearby so maybe I’ll ask for a PPI if all else seems ok. If I’m being fair I have newer cars with marks that I can’t explain so agree some wear has to be tolerated.
Old 06-30-2024 | 11:52 PM
WP0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SJ8667
Looking at a 2017 CPO 991.2. Carfax doesn’t have damage listed but this is very odd. My hunch is repair work like this is a summary of how one of the owners (3) treated the car but “things” happen.

like 3 seperate marks

I’ll speak to the dealer on their thoughts as well but as a first time buyer I like the collective wisdom of the board as well. Almost like they just caked up paint to cover a crack.
Theroretically shouldn’t be able to CPO a vehicle with body damage: I would figure $5k to replace the bumper, and 10% diminished value into the purchase.

Quick Reply: Weird mark/repair