Sponsored by:

Help: Driver seat back has some play

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2024, 11:06 PM
David Akmu
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help: Driver seat back has some play

2014 with 18-Way Adaptive Sport Seats Plus w/Memory Package.
I just realized that the entire back piece of the driver’s seat has some play. I can move it back and forth about 3 inches. Please note that the loose part appears to be the piece marked in green below. On the passenger seat, that same piece doesn’t move at all, even when I adjust the back piece using the power button. So, I suspect that the green piece must be loose or something.
Any help is much appreciated.

This whole part moves
Old 06-29-2024, 01:38 AM
Nashvegas
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

The silver plastic trim part? Or the entire seatback?

If the seatback, I don't have a good explanation.

If just the silver plastic seat trim (there are 2 pieces each side - inner and outer -- for a total of 4 per seat), it's a known issue that affects 991.1, 991.2, and 981. These start to get loose fail.

The common "explanation" I've seen here is "owner abuse" and something about pressing on the seatback too hard when in the rear, or getting in and out of the back, causes the seat frame to overextend forward bend, and then the seat frame is moving forward further than designed when folding forward, and this then contacts the trim, and hits the trim and starts to break it. This is offered up by dealers who try to get out of covering it under warranty. So what I've read here and elsewhere is that people who replace these trims, after one vacuum at the detailer where the seat is folded forward... or getting luggage out of the back seat,... same issue again. The seat requires partial disassembly to refit these trims, it's not just a pop on and off job.

One of mine wiggles a slight bit which annoys me greatly, as it's the passenger seat which has probably been folded forward less than 20 times.

That said, I have not seen any knowledgeable person disassemble the seat and clearly show what dealers claim - that the seats have been bent from owner abuse. No one has ever actually sat in the rear, it's not like kids are back there pushing hard on the seats. And also have never heard of anyone replacing their entire seat frame to fix the issue either, (because I think it's untrue that that seat frames bend this easily)

In my experience, almost 75% of 991's I looked at last year had this issue on one or both seats. Once I knew to look for it (and things like the door panel warping, and leather dash delimination) it was quite prevalent.

Last edited by Nashvegas; 06-29-2024 at 01:39 AM.
Old 06-29-2024, 03:31 AM
David Akmu
Banned

Thanks for the response.
Here is the video clip.

Originally Posted by Nashvegas
The silver plastic trim part? Or the entire seatback?

If the seatback, I don't have a good explanation.

If just the silver plastic seat trim (there are 2 pieces each side - inner and outer -- for a total of 4 per seat), it's a known issue that affects 991.1, 991.2, and 981. These start to get loose fail.

The common "explanation" I've seen here is "owner abuse" and something about pressing on the seatback too hard when in the rear, or getting in and out of the back, causes the seat frame to overextend forward bend, and then the seat frame is moving forward further than designed when folding forward, and this then contacts the trim, and hits the trim and starts to break it. This is offered up by dealers who try to get out of covering it under warranty. So what I've read here and elsewhere is that people who replace these trims, after one vacuum at the detailer where the seat is folded forward... or getting luggage out of the back seat,... same issue again. The seat requires partial disassembly to refit these trims, it's not just a pop on and off job.

One of mine wiggles a slight bit which annoys me greatly, as it's the passenger seat which has probably been folded forward less than 20 times.

That said, I have not seen any knowledgeable person disassemble the seat and clearly show what dealers claim - that the seats have been bent from owner abuse. No one has ever actually sat in the rear, it's not like kids are back there pushing hard on the seats. And also have never heard of anyone replacing their entire seat frame to fix the issue either, (because I think it's untrue that that seat frames bend this easily)

In my experience, almost 75% of 991's I looked at last year had this issue on one or both seats. Once I knew to look for it (and things like the door panel warping, and leather dash delimination) it was quite prevalent.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_1246.mov (6.05 MB, 22 views)
Old 06-29-2024, 11:41 AM
Nashvegas
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

That doesn't look too abnormal but I agree there's play and would probably be annoying when accelerating / decelerating. How does it compare to the passenger seat? I don't have my 991 here to test mine.
Old 06-30-2024, 01:47 AM
David Akmu
Banned

Originally Posted by Nashvegas
That doesn't look too abnormal but I agree there's play and would probably be annoying when accelerating / decelerating. How does it compare to the passenger seat? I don't have my 991 here to test mine.
No one including myself ever noticed it because once you sit you never know. In fact I just picked up the car from the dealer after 30K service and none do techs noticed it either. Perhaps this is within the spec.

Quick Reply: Help: Driver seat back has some play